Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Finest-known 1893-S $1 Sold to Private Party by Legend Numismatics

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
Rare Morgan Dollar Nets Over $1 Million

Jon Garner - October 31, 2008

Finest-known 1893-S $1 Sold to Private Party by Legend Numismatics

Legend Numismatics of Lincroft, New Jersey, has purchased and placed the finest-known 1893-S Morgan Dollar - graded MS67 by Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) - for a sum in excess of $1,000,000.00. The purchase price is believed to be the highest ever realized for a Morgan Dollar. This spectacular specimen's pedigree includes the famous Vermeule Collection (Stacks 2001) and Jack Lee 2.

According to Legend Numismatics Co-President Laura Sperber, the buyer, who wishes to remain anonymous, is a lifelong collector of Morgan Dollars who is rapidly accumulating a world-class set. The newly-purchased 1893-S is now his crown jewel. "His passion is to build the finest and most eye-appealing set possible," Sperber said. "Never in his wildest dreams did he think he could own an 1893-S Morgan in high grade, let alone in the ultimate state of preservation."

Renowned among Morgan collectors, this piece boasts outstanding cleanliness, strike and luster. Both the obverse and reverse have a moderate mix of beautiful original golden brown, tangerine and pale purple colors. Miss Liberty and the details are frosty and exhibit extremely sharp strikes. Her cheek is amazingly perfect.

This coin was sold to Legend Numismatics by Chris Napolitano of Summit Rare Coins in Minneapolis.

For further information, e-mail Laura Sperber at lsperber1@hotmail.com or call her at 732-935-1795.

PCGS Link

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, thats big news, it sure helps having clients.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure the collector was quite happy when PCGS removed the other MS67 from its pops [due to it being conserved at NCS and no longer worthy of the grade in PCGS's mind].
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    pretty cool, anyone have pics of it? Would like to see a pic of it.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    Wow imagine that, there is a price on the PCGS site that is spot on. image
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow imagine that, there is a price on the PCGS site that is spot on. image >>

They'll have to modify it to say "a little over in excess of $1,000,000" to make the buyer feel better, not that acquiring such a coin in the first place would leave one in need of up-cheering.
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm sure the collector was quite happy when PCGS removed the other MS67 from its pops [due to it being conserved at NCS and no longer worthy of the grade in PCGS's mind]. >>

Cool!
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm sure the collector was quite happy when PCGS removed the other MS67 from its pops [due to it being conserved at NCS and no longer worthy of the grade in PCGS's mind]. >>

If the coin was conserved at NCS... and it "was" in PCGS's pops.. it
    must have been in a PCGS holder at one time.

Since it was cracked out and conserved.. no one bothered to send
    back the label? PCGS had to find out about it through the grapevine
    and remove it themselves?

• Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Since it was cracked out and conserved.. no one bothered to send back the label? PCGS had to find out about it through the grapevine and remove it themselves? >>

If I cracked this coin from a P67 holder, I'd sure as heck keep the tag to prove that it was a P67 at one time, and to potentially try to argue it back into that holder if it didn't 68 at NGC. Of course, now that it has been NCS'ed, it sounds like a moot point.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I would love to see Sunnywoods......I mean " The New Owner's" new Toned 1893-S in MS-67 image

I can only imagine this coin residing in Sunnywood's set or in the California set. Either way, the owner would love to have the coin.
    Maybe this is why Sunntwood retired his Barber Quarter set???
  • Options

<< <i>I would love to see Sunnywoods......I mean " The New Owner's" new Toned 1893-S in MS-67 image

I can only imagine this coin residing in Sunnywood's set or in the California set. Either way, the owner would love to have the coin.
    Maybe this is why Sunntwood retired his Barber Quarter set??? >>

Think the new owner will share a pic with us???? image

This thread is useless without pics!!!! image
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone notice the mintage change in the red book from 100,000 to 77,000
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>Anyone notice the mintage change in the red book from 100,000 to 77,000 >>

Really? image I haven't purchased a new Red Book in 2 years, so I'm behind on this.

Did someone do some research in the archives and find this new figure?
  • Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I would love to see Sunnywoods......I mean " The New Owner's" new Toned 1893-S in MS-67 image

Maybe this is why Sunntwood retired his Barber Quarter set??? >>

Think the new owner will share a pic with us???? image

This thread is useless without pics!!!! image >>

sunnywood didnt buy the coin, he has one in p65.

I saw the coin at ANA and it looked very nice!
  • Options
    You can see pics of the top three 1893-S Morgans in this thread:

1893-S Morgan thread with pictures ...

The Eliasberg coin is in the OP, but the Vermeule MS67 and the conserved Norweb NCS/NGC coin are pictured later in the thread.

For the record, I told Legend about ten times over the last five years that I wanted to buy the Vermeule coin for my toned Morgan set, but alas I didn't get a shot at it.
    No matter, I am *quite* happy with the Eliasberg coin, and comparatively speaking, it was a bargain !! Just think of how much I saved !!! image

Best,
    Sunnywood
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can only imagine this coin residing in Sunnywood's set or in the California set. >>

I just called and spoke to "California". Not only is he not the buyer, he was surprised to learn that PCGS had graded an 1893-S in MS67.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

<< <i>
    For the record, I told Legend about ten times over the last five years that I wanted to buy the Vermeule coin, but alas I didn't get a shot at it.
    >>

So much of collecting is about opportunity, not price or wealth. The coin was in very strong hands during that period. And then the purchaser just happens to be in the office the day that Legend finally acquires the coin.
  • Options
    I'm sure California knew perfectly well that there were two '93-S dollars in 67 by PCGS. Everyone who is into Morgans at that level would have known about the Norweb, Vermeule and Eliasberg specimens of the key date in the series.

TDN - very true. But I'm still going to growl at a few people next time I'm at a show.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm sure California knew perfectly well that there were two '93-S dollars in 67 by PCGS. Everyone who is into Morgans at that level would have known about the Norweb, Vermeule and Eliasberg specimens of the key date in the series. >>

I *hate* Morgans and even I knew that! image
  • Options
  • Options
    I don't get it guys, there are two in the MS67 condition right?

Sunnywoods picture thread says there is a Norweb coin that is MS67 and the Cornelius Vermuele that is MS67. Tell me exactly what happened.........did one get reslabbed and if so why would someone do that?

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    By the way, good luck to the new owner !! He'll have a lot of competition for the "finest" set (from California), and a lot of competition for "most eye appealing" (from yours truly, if he likes toned coins). But we always welcome new enthusiasts, or in this case, apparently a long-time enthusiast who is newly wealthy !!

PCGS delisted the Norweb coin as MS67, now that it has been conserved and slabbed MS67 by NGC. It is no longer graded MS67 by PCGS.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't get it guys, there are two in the MS67 condition right?

Sunnywoods picture thread says there is a Norweb coin that is MS67 and the Cornelius Vermuele that is MS67. Tell me exactly what happened.........did one get reslabbed and if so why would someone do that? >>

The Norweb coin [the other MS67] was conserved at NCS [the only reason to have done this to this coin is the hope for the almighty upgrade] and is now in an NGC holder. Because of the huge value difference between the holders for this coin, and PCGS's hate for NCS'd coins, I think we can safely assume that it won't be back in the PCGS holder anytime soon.

But I've seen it happen before, so I never say never.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm sure California knew perfectly well that there were two '93-S dollars in 67 by PCGS. Everyone who is into Morgans at that level would have known about the Norweb, Vermeule and Eliasberg specimens of the key date in the series. >>

Some people don't fit the mold of what we presume/assume/expect, despite how we look at it. I've known "California" for several years. He's not a scholarly student of the series who researches history and provenance, nor does he care about it. He instead focuses on buying what he likes, what he can afford, and what he thinks has value. By the way, his comment to me when I told him that the sales price for this coin was over a million was, "I'd rather have the million."
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>

Some people don't fit the mold of what we presume/assume/expect, despite how we look at it. I've known "California" for several years. He's not a scholarly student of the series who researches history and provenance, nor does he care about it. He instead focuses on buying what he likes, what he can afford, and what he thinks has value. By the way, his comment to me when I told him that the sales price for this coin was over a million was, "I'd rather have the million." >>

Granted, that's everyone's personal decision - but it's not how the finest sets get built. IIRC, he's also passed on the MS68 1889-CC and a few other finest knowns. IMO, the great sets have the great coins for the tough dates. If you fail to step up and acquire the acknowledged finest known keys, your set will never make it to all time great status.
  • Options
    By the way, TDN and others, I just checked the PCGS online pop report, and they still show two coins graded MS67. So TDN, I'm not sure where you got your info ... ?

• Options

<< <i>By the way, TDN and others, I just checked the PCGS online pop report, and they still show two coins graded MS67. So TDN, I'm not sure where you got your info ... ? >>

I have it on very good info. That online report is updated every 2 weeks, I believe?
  • Options
    Every week I think ... well I certainly agree that it should be removed LOL ... although the surfaces are still technically superior. (The Vermeule coin has a few cheek marks under the toning, while the Norweb coin is remarkably unabraded.) Still, it is absolutely correct of PCGS to rescind the grade once the coin has been removed from their slab and altered. It would be interesting to see what would happen if the coin were now resubmitted to PCGS. Can you say "MS66" ?? image
  • Options

<< <i>Granted, that's everyone's personal decision - but it's not how the finest sets get built. IIRC, he's also passed on the MS68 1889-CC and a few other finest knowns. IMO, the great sets have the great coins for the tough dates. If you fail to step up and acquire the acknowledged finest known keys, your set will never make it to all time great status. >>

While he does have a great collection already, based upon how much know about him I feel extremely confident in saying that making it to all time great status in the opinion of the collecting world is not his objective. That may be the goal and priority of some collectors, but isn't it hugely unfair to automatically make the judgment that it also is -- or should be -- his?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    gotta thank Sunnywood for clearing things up for me! Thanks Mr. Sunnywood, your a nice person.

Sunnywood also mentioned to me that the Norweb coin was dipped.......shouldn't that disqualify it? Wouldn't you guys compare dipping blasphemous like cleaning a coin as well?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Granted, that's everyone's personal decision - but it's not how the finest sets get built. IIRC, he's also passed on the MS68 1889-CC and a few other finest knowns. IMO, the great sets have the great coins for the tough dates. If you fail to step up and acquire the acknowledged finest known keys, your set will never make it to all time great status. >>

While he does have a great collection already, based upon how much know about him I feel extremely confident in saying that making it to all time great status in the opinion of the collecting world is not his objective. That may be the goal and priority of some collectors, but isn't it hugely unfair to automatically make the judgment that it also is -- or should be -- his? >>

I know very well it's not his goal. And that's fine. image
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Wouldn't the '93-S be removed from the PCGS pops simply because it's no longer in a PCGS slab, regardless of whether or not NCS was involved?

Edited for clarity.
  • Options
    TDN I have to admit I have never been crazy about the 1889-CC PCGS MS68 ex Eliasberg, because of the small residual patch of thumbprint lines on the cheek, which appear to have etched the surface slightly. I always thought PCGS was a little generous with that grade, although as far as I know it is clearly the finest known regardless.

For anyone who is interested, the aforementioned '89-CC will be auctioned by Heritage at FUN, so you can see it at lot viewing.

Sunnywood
  • Options

<< <i>Wouldn't it be removed simply because it's no longer in a PCGS slab, regardless of whether or not NCS was involved? >>

Yes, if the tag was returned.

I once noted to NGC that an 1884 trade dollar that was on their pop report was now in a PCGS holder and provided a link to an image in the auction catalog. Their comment was that they wouldn't remove it from the pop report without the tag.

I think that there's about a dozen 1884 trade dollars now. image
  • Options
    <<PCGS delisted the Norweb coin as MS67, now that it has been conserved and slabbed MS67 by NGC. It is no longer graded MS67 by PCGS.>>

PCGS did the right thing. I checked the other thread and it just doesn't look right, not in the same class as the Eliasberg and Vermeule coins.
  • Options
    TDN-your quote-

<< <i>IMO, the great sets have the great coins for the tough dates. If you fail to step up and acquire the acknowledged finest known keys, your set will never make it to all time great status. >>

I seem to rember that you passed on a TD that was of a higher grade when you were active in that set.

How do you explain the apparent conflict? I am sure you had a reason.

Thanks

Dan
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    Garneteye, sometimes a higher graded coin isn't a "greater" coin. All of TDN's trade dollars were spectacular and amazing. Perrhaps he didn't prefer the one in the higher-graded slab to the one he had.

Sometimes when you have a great set, people try to "make" coins and then take a shot at you, i.e. offer you the coin at a crazy price. It is quite likely that whoever owned or "made" that coin would have put a bullseye on TDN and taken a big shot at him, which he is way too smart to fall for. But I'm guessing he simply preferred the one he had. i have often passed up higher-graded coins because I liked mine better.
  • Options

<< <i>TDN-your quote-

<< <i>IMO, the great sets have the great coins for the tough dates. If you fail to step up and acquire the acknowledged finest known keys, your set will never make it to all time great status. >>

I seem to rember that you passed on a TD that was of a higher grade when you were active in that set.

How do you explain the apparent conflict? I am sure you had a reason.

Thanks

Dan >>

Dan - I was commenting a set that habitually bypasses the finest known key dates lacking greatness. In my set, I do have ALL the finest known key dates, so I needed that coin less to make my mark. And yes, I had several other reasons:

1) it wasn't a key date - in fact it was THE most common date in high grade
    2) it wasn't a full grade better than mine
    3) it had negative eye appeal compared to mine
    4) mine was discovered in my home town back in 1990
    5) the original seller played too many games which gave me a negative image of the coin
    6) every set needs a 'beauty mark' image

And even so it haunted me for quite some time. The allure of the mythical 'perfect set' is a mighty draw! If I had owned the two [non PCGS] coins that I know are better than my examples, I may have given in to temptation. But since I know in my heart my set isn't perfect in any case, I managed to reject it. image
  • Options
    TDN, Thanks for your reply, I was sure there was a logical reason, apparently there were several.

Thanks again

Dan
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Re: Mintage change from 100,000 to 77,000 in Red Book.

The 77,000 quantity is likely a mistake, nothing more.
  • Options

<< <i>I think that there's about a dozen 1884 trade dollars now. image >>

One of several such instances in the pop reports where the number of coins listed exceeds the number of known specimens, unfortunately.
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Congrats Laura :-)
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Re: Mintage change from 100,000 to 77,000 in Red Book.

The 77,000 quantity is likely a mistake, nothing more. >>

I've seen the 77K mintage from a couple of other sources. I'll try to find them and re-post...
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the dealers who "California" deals with was the under bidder on the "Vermeule" coin when it was auctioned as a raw coin. I am sure that is who he had in mind when bidding on it.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    I well remember that auction ... originally scheduled for the fateful eve of 9/11, and held instead two months later on 11/11/2001. There was sooooo much good material in that auction. Jack Lee was bidding on the phone through an agent, as I recall. I dropped out well before the hammer; I was too chicken to grade the coin higher than 65. (The coin was raw, and had never been graded.) I believe it hammered for $500K plus the juice. Jack Lee also owned the Norweb coin. The man just loved Morgan dollars !! How many times did he assemble a set, then sell it off, only to go right back into the market and start over !!! More than the three that we know of; he told me he had assembled complete sets of Morgans several times before his famous all-time finest "Jack Lee" collection (later followed by Jack Lee 2, and Jack Lee 3). He sold off his Jack Lee III collection in November 2005 before it was quite complete, so that he could donate aid to victims of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. Now that's a great man.

The Vermeule auction contained wonderful proof sets from the 1860's and 1870's, shamelessly broken up by Stack's without even mentioning it in the catalog. In other words, the coins weren't grouped together, nor offered with a collective lot to give anyone the opportunity to keep the proof sets together. The individual coins were simply scattered throughout the catalog with their respective denominations. Most amazing in quality, perhaps, were the 1873 Arrows proofs. There were so many treasures in that catalog !! The coins were special because they were amazingly original, many having been collected from the Mint by the grandfather of the named consignor.

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

While he does have a great collection already, based upon how much know about him I feel extremely confident in saying that making it to all time great status in the opinion of the collecting world is not his objective. That may be the goal and priority of some collectors, but isn't it hugely unfair to automatically make the judgment that it also is -- or should be -- his? >>

I agree with your statement, not knowing him nearly as well as you. I think he just loves Morgans, ones that appeal to him. Some he buys he by no means needs, just cant pass up an eye appealing morgan. He is definitely picky on eye appeal.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I agree with your statement, not knowing him nearly as well as you. I think he just loves Morgans, ones that appeal to him. Some he buys he by no means needs, just cant pass up an eye appealing morgan. He is definitely picky on eye appeal. >>

It's about time one of the MS67 1893-S's sold. They haven't changed hands for a while.

"California" has been offered both of the MS67 graded examples and not only has he passed on buying either coin every time, he has vowed to pass on both coins for good because he does not consider either coin attractive. He would rather own a coin that is eye appealing and graded lower than a coin that carries a high numerical grade but is visually unappealing. Speaking of high graded Morgans, "California" is seeking the 1886-O in MS67DMPL, a coin that hasn't been seen in a very long time.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    WTCG, of course "appeal" is in the "eye" of the beholder. The Vermeule coin has unusual original toning, with mint green and orange hues. Some people will find it really awesome, while others will find it really awful !! Of course I am in the originality camp, and find the Vermeule coin vastly more interesting than the Norweb. By this point though, the Eliasberg coin has grown on me, and I now prefer it to every '93-S I have seen, with the Vermeule coin being the only possible exception. I never liked the Norweb coin, although I suspect that when it was still in the Norweb's collection, it was more original, and therefore more desirable. That coin was dipped even before it was in the PCGS MS67 holder, IMHO.

The only detractions on my coin are some ticks on the portrait, which I suspect were acquired at some point after it was in the Clapp or Eliasberg collections. I don't think they are from a Mint hopper, because the fields are impossibly pristine, and the entire reverse is utterly flawless. Perhaps going in and out of cabinets, albums, displays, etc., or going on tour, somewhere along the line it experienced some excessive contact. Even so, the coin has a marvelous quality generally unknown for this date.
  • Options
    WoW an MS67 93-S, Wow.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file