Home U.S. Coin Forum

ebay gaft

I sold a o-mint 10$ LIB on the bayebay
And that is fine but after sending a message that all was great he comes back 2weeks later saying the coin is baggy and what will I do to make it right. Doesn't want to return it He just wants some money back and it was sold at a low price to begin with. He basically asked how bad do I want to keep my 100%. WHat to do for the Ebay vets out there? Truth be told it is baggy with no large marks but plenty of, well bag marks

Comments

• krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I'm no ebay vet but I would simply say he may return it for a full refund or keep it at the sale price.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I sold a o-mint 10$ LIB on the bayebay
    And that is fine but after sending a message that all was great he comes back 2weeks later saying the coin is baggy and what will I do to make it right. Doesn't want to return it He just wants some money back and it was sold at a low price to begin with. He basically asked how bad do I want to keep my 100%. WHat to do for the Ebay vets out there? Truth be told it is baggy with no large marks but plenty of, well bag marks >>

Forward his message to Ebay ... It's considered extortian....

Link to report this a_hole...
    Ebay Link to report attempted extortian

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    No discount. That is ridiculous.

According to your policy, you offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee after the purchase. I suppose it is not unreasonable for him to ask for a return.

But to ask for a discount is not acceptable.

Tell the buyer that you will not participate in extortion, that withholding positive feedback for a monitary ransom is illegal and that he will be reported to eBay if he does so. Reiterate your offer for a full return, as you do indeed guarantee satisfaction. That guarantee does not extend to allowing a buyer to extort money from you.

If this buyer is performing feedback extortion on you, as it seems he is doing, that is extortion and it is illegal. Keep all communications and send them to eBay. You will probably have to bend over backwards to get eBay to get that negative rating removed. They will probably not care to do it regardless of your evidence.

Horrible as it may seem, it's all about nothing really. The claim of 'illegality' really has no teeth. The damages of negative feedback are intangible. You will have to work within eBay's system to try to deal with this buyer.

Please post the ID of this buyer. There are lots of folks that have personal blacklists and don't want to ever take a chance on dealing with such buyers.

• If he will do a return for full refund, that would be the best option. After the return, think about blocking him from future bidding.I would not let him blackmail me into a price reduction. Correspond only through the ebay system with him, and pass the emails on to ebay if he continues to try and get a discount. Rating blackmail is not tolarated.
  • habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job in OUTING the scum bagger.

Maybe others will block him, as you should now do.

• IMO, I wouldn't offer a partial refund- if a buyer doesn't like the coin, he can send it back for a full refund. In your buyer's defense, you did say this in your listing:

ANY ?'S OR REQUESTS PLEASE ASK, AS I AM COMMITTED TO ENSURING YOUR 100% SATISFACTION, IF THERE IS A PROBLEM I WILL GLADLY MAKE IT RIGHT BEFORE DURING AND AFTER THE TRANSACTION.

I'm not sure how far you're willing to go to "ensure 100% satisfaction"- are you? But on the other hand, threatening negative feedback could possibly be considered feedback extortion on the buyer's part, so there's that...

edited to add...

Situations such as this are why...

Return policy:

Return policy not specified.
    Read item description for any reference to return policy.

is not a good policy. Best to specify your return policy upfront. I know the horse is already out of the barn and closing the door won't help this time, but for next time, maybe it's a thought to consider.

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    streetsofpuregold now blocked, what a feminine hygiene device!
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    It's a graded coin and seems right for the grade and you described it well. The buyer should not be asking for a discount.

The most I would budge is tell him if he doesn't want it he can return it and you'll even refund shipping when you get it back in your effort that he be 100% satisfied.
    You might offer him that since you'd cover shipping if he returns it that if he wants to keep it you'd refund the shipping if he keeps it. If he takes that block him and forget it and hope he gives a POS FB.

You might add the term "100% satisfied or a full refund" because nobody can 100% satisfy everyone. : )
    Ed
  • graded coin , sold as is , if he has a beef it is with ANACS not you.
    Honestly, as a ebay buyer myself, a 99% rating for a seller is just as good as a 100% in my book. With all the nuts in thisworld I can't imagine how anyone could keep 100% rating over the long run.
  • I also had a buyer that tried to get some $$ back from a purchase. I told him that I had a !00% money back guarantee; either send the coin back or keep it, NO partial refunds.... He kept the coin and I didn't get a neg, go figure? It does sound like your buyer may br trying a little extortion, do save all of your corresondence; as mentioned before, you may need it to get a Neg removed.
    John G Bradley II
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    Care to share the actual text of the emails so we know whether or not to block this lout?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost sounds like feedback extortion. Tell him to either return the coin for a refund or to keep it. If he persists with demanding a discount, report him.
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭
    No discount should be offered. Tell 'em to send it back if not happy and block him. You get eBay fees back and relist it.
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    <<<he comes back 2weeks later saying the coin is baggy and what will I do to make it right. >>>
    Jeeze, I'm blind, retarded and can't read but I see where your auction says it's baggy and I see bag marks all over the pictures, all around the date, all around the portrait, all over the fields, just like you said it was.
    <<<He basically asked how bad do I want to keep my 100%>>>
    I'd basically tell him I didn't give a crap & go pound sand.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a buyer I want to ever deal with. Feedback extortion is against eBay TOS. Let him know.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no "basically" about it. Either he is trying feedback extortion clearly, and you report it to ebay, or he isn't but seems to be insinuating which doesn't always help with ebay.

You did mention it is baggy in the auction so he should either accept it or return it for 100% refund.

You did notice that he is also a seller, right...............?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• << <i>There is no "basically" about it. Either he is trying feedback extortion clearly, and you report it to ebay, or he isn't but seems to be insinuating which doesn't always help with ebay.

You did mention it is baggy in the auction so he should either accept it or return it for 100% refund.

You did notice that he is also a seller, right...............? >>

good point.. I think I found out why it looks so baggy to him.X16
  • pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭

<< <i>he comes back 2weeks later >>

That's all I need to see. I draw the line at 1 week on returns, unless an exception is discussed and agreed to before the coin goes out. There has to be a point in time where the coin is sold and you (the seller) are free to spend the money. If there's a chance the coin would be returned for two weeks, three weeks, a month...then you're never free to spend the money you earned selling the coin, because the buyer might demand it back!
  • not to mention when gold drop 75$ since it went from "thanks I got the coin" to "I want to get a partial refund"
  • Same happened to me not long ago. Multiple auction winner wanted a discount on mint sealed product after he received it.
    He threatened a neg. I told him he could keep the items or return them for a full refund. He kept them and left pos.
  • ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    Extortion and deadbeat bidders have become a cottage industry on feebay. I average an extorion or two a week and currently have SIXTEEN UNPAID ITEMS.

Take the hit. Keep the $. Move on.

Welcome to retail! image
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Extortion to the fullest extent.

You even put in the description that it was "baggy." Report him to eBay. Do not even refund him.
  • mcheathmcheath Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    Aren't most au55 gold coins a little baggy? Buyer blocked.
  • Forward it to ebay as a complaint.
    Coinborg: Your distinctive coins will be added to my collection.
    BS&T image : kryptonitecomics, PCcoins (2x), Spoon (7x), Coppercolor, Preussen (2x), Filamcoins, agentjim007, CB2597, DCW, 1960NYGiants
    Ebay: + <waitin'> NEG: Chameleoncoins
    NonBST/Ebay: image Rick's Coins
    WTB: Toners, BU Darkside, Sovs & 20 Mark, LMU/SMU Gold.
  • nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭
    BLOCKED.
  • Your guarantee to ensure satisfaction at any time after the transaction makes you technically obligated to at least try to negotiate something with him.

However, you had stated in your description that the piece is baggy--and that's to be expected anyway on an AU piece.

If he's already left you feedback I say just tell him tough luck--it's been two weeks and I described it accurately. If he hasn't left feedback yet, you're risking getting a neg by not obliging.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    ANY ?'S OR REQUESTS PLEASE ASK, AS I AM COMMITTED TO ENSURING YOUR 100% SATISFACTION, IF THERE IS A PROBLEM I WILL GLADLY MAKE IT RIGHT BEFORE DURING AND AFTER THE TRANSACTION.

Not sure why everyone is up in arms as you did state the above in your listing.

Now, I agree the guy needs a lil tact and what he did was feedback extortion but you did say you would gladly make it right before, during or after the transaction.

He was simply taking you up on your offer.

IMO I'd tell him that I'd gladly refund the money upon receipt of the coin.

(That is if he has not gone over a time limit)

Steve
    Good for you.
  • 100% refund, or he keeps the coin at 100% of the purchase price. Plain and simple.
    I'll come up with something, eventually.
  • Demanding a partial refund is just another way to force a discount after the process ends.
    It a shame people act like that.

If something was truly bugs him we would have asked for a full refund and give the item back.
  • StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Blocked.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. Buy or no buy, there is no discount. And FWIW, there is no such a word as "gaft"...you mean "gaffe".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file