Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Now this is Interesting............

19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
I ran across an old Gasoline credit card charge slip from my father in law today.

18.2 gallons of supreme gas for only $6.65 !

I was 17 years old and $20 bucks was a lot of money in those days!

Coin Collecting was not even on the horizon.
I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to mention supreme was likely a higher octane that supreme today! I try to get racing fuel once in a while and it adds up quick.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could also buy mint state double eagles for around $50 then. Good examples of what inflation can do to the value of your money.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your father in law got ripped! image

My first memories of my mother getting gas are from that same time.
    I distinctly remember the price being 29.9 cents/gallon. She'd ask the
    attendant (self serve wasn't even a concept!) for $2, or maybe $1 if
    payday hadn't been too recent.

I'm feeling old... image

Edited to add: Just noticed the receipt is for supreme. Price seems right.
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    I remember when the price went up from 29.9 cents a gallon to 49.9 cents a gallon during the 1973-74 oil "crisis."

Along with odd-even gas rationing and hours-long gas lines.

As I had just obtained my drivers license, I "earned" driving privileges by lining up at 5 am to fill up the family car.

Our car at the time got a whopping 6 mpg!!! That'll learn ya to have an Oldsmobile 455 4-barrel!!!
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I am not that old, and I remember buying gas for 69 or 79 cents a gallon. I think that was in the early 1990's. Does anyone else recall those prices, or am I imagining it?
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Longacre, I was very young then, but I still remember gas being in the $1.19 range in and around 1995.
    I was 6 or 7 at that age, so my memory may be off, but it sounds about right.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    In 1966 it was also the time people were pulling the silver out of circulation. It would have been fun searching rolls, lot's of wheats and silver : )
    Ed
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am not that old, and I remember buying gas for 69 or 79 cents a gallon. I think that was in the early 1990's. Does anyone else recall those prices, or am I imagining it? >>

I remember 99 cents in the early 90's, same time taco bell's value meno was 39 cents, 59 cents, 79 cents I think.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    You should probably becareful about posting his credit number on the internet. There are probably thousands of people trying to buy gas with it right now. Anyway, I was close to empty this morning so I think I am going to go fuel up. image
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    A promotional event in Fremont, California. Somewhere around the year 2000, I believe. Gas for 99 cents.

No...waitaminit...wrong picture.

Here it is...

• Options
    I am so old that when I filled up they gave me a coupla bucks!

Jeff

• Options

<< <i>I remember when the price went up from 29.9 cents a gallon to 49.9 cents a gallon during the 1973-74 oil "crisis."

Along with odd-even gas rationing and hours-long gas lines.

As I had just obtained my drivers license, I "earned" driving privileges by lining up at 5 am to fill up the family car.

Our car at the time got a whopping 6 mpg!!! That'll learn ya to have an Oldsmobile 455 4-barrel!!! >>

The 69 442 w/ a 455 rocket block; now that was the sh*t I got high 11's at Atco, with slicks.
  • Options

<< <i>I am not that old, and I remember buying gas for 69 or 79 cents a gallon. I think that was in the early 1990's. Does anyone else recall those prices, or am I imagining it? >>

No chance
  • Options

<< <i>A promotional event in Fremont, California. Somewhere around the year 2000, I believe. Gas for 99 cents.

image >>

Hey, looks like they even brought Ponch back for the promotion!image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

I recall paying $0.69/gal around 1991 in Knoxville TN, and remember watching my dad pump gas at $0.55/gal back around 1980. Hard to imagine.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

<< <i>You should probably becareful about posting his credit number on the internet. There are probably thousands of people trying to buy gas with it right now. Anyway, I was close to empty this morning so I think I am going to go fuel up. image >>

That account has long since been closed friend and he passed away a couple of years ago.

If you want to buy gas with that number, you are more than welcome to but I'll let you know ahead of time, the account number is invalid.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I worked at a Texaco near that time, anyone remember "gas wars"?
  • Options

Probably depends on where you live. I remember going to Alabama to play the
    RTJ golf trail there about 10 years ago and was shocked to see Regular at 89.9
    cents. It was at least a quarter higher in CA at that time.
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A promotional event in Fremont, California. Somewhere around the year 2000, I believe. Gas for 99 cents.

No...waitaminit...wrong picture.

Here it is...

image >>

What's the word?.....Thunderbird.
    What's the price?......Thirty twice.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Another of 'ponch'...

The Thunderbird bottle was taken in the midst of many more on a pullout some way down some dirt road, close to Mexican Hat, Utah. Self destruction on the 'Navajo rez'. Very sad, actually.

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My dad used to take the family car (a Buick Electra) that had an engine bigger than my current car and hand the guy at the pump a 5 and tell him to filler up!

Got change back. This was in the early 60s, on the Marine Base. I am pretty sure gas was about 18 cents a gallon.
  • Options
    << You should probably becareful about posting his credit number on the internet. There are probably thousands of people trying to buy gas with it right now. Anyway, I was close to empty this morning so I think I am going to go fuel up. >>

<<That account has long since been closed friend and he passed away a couple of years ago.

If you want to buy gas with that number, you are more than welcome to but I'll let you know ahead of time, the account number is invalid. >>

My lame attempt at humor did not translate in a written post. I was thinking about the times in which we live and how identity theft is such a problem and I was imagining lots of people stealing a credit card from the 1960s and trying to buy gas ... it struck me as a little funny. Sorry, no offense was meant.

Chris
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I worked at a Texaco near that time, anyone remember "gas wars"? >>

Do you mean when instead of a station at each intersection they started making 4 stations at each intersection? They had wars lowering prices by a fraction of a cent then giving trinkets to get you to buy from them. They had antena balls at 76, drinking glass sets at Chevron and you got more glasses with each visit, Arks at Arco then animals for your ark with each visit, one station gave out the bronze president coins until you had all presidents (maybe Shell?). Some station gave out tanker trucks like Tonka trucks (maybe Texaco?)

Ed
  • Options
    I still have my set of Shell presidential tokens with the holder. image

I was a gas station manager the first time the price of gas hit $1. It was in the early part of 1979. Other than promotional prices, I haven't seen it lower since.

Bob
  • Options
    SLQSLQ Posts: 311 ✭✭

Some gas station trinkets from the mid 60's

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I am that old. I remember .199. OUCH!!!!

When I was younger I pulled in to get a dollars worth and they cleaned the windshield and checked all the fluids too.
  • Options
    tmcsr69tmcsr69 Posts: 1,307
    I graduated from High School in 1969 and remember those prices well. I drove a VW bug at the time and it was always less than $3 to fill up. Purchase supreme like your Father in Law and more than likely received a free steak knife, logo'd drinking glass or similar type item.
    Crazy old man from Missouri
  • Options
    My first real job was at a gas station and we were all shocked when the price broke the 60 cents mark. image
  • Options

<< <i>I am that old. I remember .199. OUCH!!!!

When I was younger I pulled in to get a dollars worth and they cleaned the windshield and checked all the fluids too. >>

Before the price went up to 29.9 I can remember scrounging up a buck just to carry me over for a Friday Nights cruising!

Two bucks could get me from Sunnyvale to Santa Cruz and three bucks would get me home again.

As for getting the windshield cleaned, I worked at a Texaco Star & Bar and cleaned a couple of windshields when mini's were popular! image It made pumping gas a pleasure!

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I ran across an old Gasoline credit card charge slip from my father in law today.

18.2 gallons of supreme gas for only $6.65 !

I was 17 years old and $20 bucks was a lot of money in those days!

Coin Collecting was not even on the horizon. >>

That credid card receipt is interesting, considering that Visa was just in it's infancy. Probably a Diners Club card or American Express. I think those were the only 2 plastic cards available prior to 1966.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    tmcsr69tmcsr69 Posts: 1,307

<< <i>

<< <i>I am that old. I remember .199. OUCH!!!!

When I was younger I pulled in to get a dollars worth and they cleaned the windshield and checked all the fluids too. >>

As for getting the windshield cleaned, I worked at a Texaco Star & Bar and cleaned a couple of windshields when mini's were popular! image It made pumping gas a pleasure! >>

I worked at a Mobil-been there and done that. Sparkling clean windshields.
    Crazy old man from Missouri
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That credid card receipt is interesting, considering that Visa was just in it's infancy. >>

Back then Visa was called Bank Americard. I guess they later changed their name to Visa since it was more catchy.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    When I was a kid in the 50s my dad owned a service station and I pumped gas for 13.9 a gal. In about 1959 he got into a gas war with the Texaco across the street so he lowered his price to 7.4 cents a gallon and then closed the doors and went home. It drove the other guy crazy.
    I was very popular in high school because I had the keys to the station. Premium (ethyl) was around 25 cents a gallon then. Of course you could buy a new car for under $2500. Now the gas is around 10 times the price but then again so is the car.
    The more things change the more they stay the same.
    Molon Labe
  • Options
    I believe the credit card in question was issued by the oil company.
  • Options
    Geez the price in California was high back then. In the D.C. area, I'd fill up my brand new 66 GTO with Sunoco 103 octane for 24.9c a gallon.

Chris
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe the credit card in question was issued by the oil company. >>

Back then they were all issued by oil companies. I remember going across country staying at all the hotels that would take those cards and I had a lot of them.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that the Oil companies started issuing proprietary cards as early as the 1920's...they were charge cards & not credit cards, not made out of plastic ... Sears started their proprietary cards in 1964 or 65, made out of metal.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>I believe that the Oil company's started issuing proprietary cards as early as the 1920's...they were charge cards & not credit cards, not made out of plastic ... I believe that Sears started their proprietary card in 1964 or 65, made out of metal. >>

Since we're travelin' down Memory Lane, I seem to recall that service stations
    used to give out Blue Chip (or Green, the competition) Stamps for gas purchases.
    Nothing like the thrill of filling up a book of those... image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    When I started driving in 1973 gas was 33 cents a gallon. 1 month later the shortage happened and
    I remember sitting in a line for a couple of hours to get gas at 50 cents a gallon. The next jump was around 1978
    when the lines again formed and gas was now .75 a gallon. Then it went to a buck.

I too have all those sets from the gas stations.

Sunoco and the car tokens in aluminum

Shell had the presidents.

Ahh 1973 I was 17 and I drove a 1967 Mercury Cougar.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Around 1998 gas went down from 1.29 to .99 if I remember correctly.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    around 1985-1986 gas sunk to 85 cents a gallon - as I remember, briefly, then back up to 99 and over the buck thereafter.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file