Home Precious Metals
Options

Is $1100 dollars each a good price to buy for platinum eagles now?

I ran into someone today in my neighborhood who said he has 6 platinum eagles he would sell for 1100 each for an in cash in person deal or 6300 for all six, which would be 1050.

The short questions is......... if you were me, would you?

Edited to fix a mis spelling

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lowest priced 1 ozer that I've seen sell on ebay in recent history went for $1,270.

If these are Regular Issue bullion coins, which they probably are, it still seems to be a pretty good deal.

Added: Of course, platinum had dropped another $50/oz. this evening, but now it's only down about $38/oz. to $787/oz.

It does seem that there is a disconnect between the spot price and the market price, just like there is for silver and gold at this time.

1100/787 = 39.8% premium
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With platinum under $800, I wouldn't pay that much of a premium.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The lowest priced 1 ozer that I've seen sell on ebay in recent history went for $1,270.

If these are Regular Issue bullion coins, which they probably are, it still seems to be a pretty good deal.

Added: Of course, platinum had dropped another $50/oz. this evening, but now it's only down about $38/oz. to $787/oz.

It does seem that there is a disconnect between the spot price and the market price, just like there is for silver and gold at this time.

1100/787 = 39.8% premium >>

With that logic, couldn't I just flip them on ebay?
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    1. Ask the person if he has any gold or silver. Then maybe you can get those too.

2. Check ebay and make sure you know they are going to sell for over what you can buy them for.

3. If you can make money on them, go ahead and sell it.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, we have them for sale live in the store at spot + $150 cash or check, but don't do telephone or internet sales on bullion. You have to come to the store.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    I found plat at 1k/oz but still... 2 hundred over spot...
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>FWIW, we have them for sale live in the store at spot + $150 cash or check, but don't do telephone or internet sales on bullion. You have to come to the store.
    TD >>

Capt where are you in Chicago?
  • Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    If some have at spot+150 and some have seen it at 1K. I guess the answer is that it would be tough to flip online for a profit.....especially accounting for pay pal fees and what not. On the other hand....If I wanted to keep them for a while (Possibly a long while) It may be worth it. Would especially be better if I got all 6 for 6300.

LOL, anyone wanna go halves with me on 6 platinum eagles?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>FWIW, we have them for sale live in the store at spot + $150 cash or check, but don't do telephone or internet sales on bullion. You have to come to the store.
    TD >>

Capt where are you in Chicago? >>

Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
    31 N. Clark St.
    CHicago, IL 60602
    (312) 609-0016

Half a block south of where the Blues Brothers collided with City Hall.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Hey - I was just in there 15 minutes ago! Looking at Mexican silver rounds. Great store, by the way.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    Thank you.
    TD
    (I'm the short fat guy with the beard.)
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    Thats right. I have been to your store a few times. Very nice selection of coins and paper money! image