Home Sports Talk

Patriots looking OK?

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
Nice to see my Pats take out a fairly hot Ram's team today, I know they were without Jackson but they didnt let down after pounding Denver last week. Im seeing Cassell making some plays and gaining the respect of Randy Moss after posting his second big game in a row, hopefully we can continue and finish first in our division which I think is very possible at this point.

Im not making plans for the Super Bowl but I think we will be competitive the rest of the way.

Comments

• << <i>finish first in our division which I think is very possible at this point.

>>

Especially with my dad's 'phins taking out the Bills today.
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice to see my Pats take out a fairly hot Ram's team today, I know they were without Jackson but they didnt let down after pounding Denver last week. Im seeing Cassell making some plays and gaining the respect of Randy Moss after posting his second big game in a row, hopefully we can continue and finish first in our division which I think is very possible at this point.

Im not making plans for the Super Bowl but I think we will be competitive the rest of the way. >>

Perk, NO ONE IN THE NFL IS GOOD (with the possible exception of Tennessee - we'll see tomorrow night). Basically, anyone 3-5 or better could win the Super Bowl right now. I called my brother after the Pats won and said 2 things:

1.) This Pats team could win the Super Bowl - not because they're good, but because everyone else is mediocre and on any given week, anyone can beat anyone (unless you're Cincinnati).

2.) With a healthy Brady, this team may well have gone undefeated again.

I can't decide if this makes for a fun NFL season or a completely dull one.
  • I think that is a very fair statement....the Patriots look OK, maybe even a little better then OK. I think you have a good shot at the playoffs.

Vito is also right about the Titans and you might remember I wrote about them the other week on the forums. Even with a loss, should they lose, they still look very good. Last year they won 10 games and made the playoffs, this year they are 6-0 at this point. They are likely the most under appreciated team in the NFL, which is likely a good place to be in. I also think as I noted, a win tomorrow...opps today, will put the spotlight on them (we have to talk about someone being a great team).

The team to watch out for is likely the Bears....who look great this year and have a pretty easy schedule the rest of the way.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.

<< <i>I think that is a very fair statement....the Patriots look OK, maybe even a little better then OK. I think you have a good shot at the playoffs.

Vito is also right about the Titans and you might remember I wrote about them the other week on the forums. Even with a loss, should they lose, they still look very good. Last year they won 10 games and made the playoffs, this year they are 6-0 at this point. They are likely the most under appreciated team in the NFL, which is likely a good place to be in. I also think as I noted, a win tomorrow...opps today, will put the spotlight on them (we have to talk about someone being a great team).

The team to watch out for is likely the Bears....who look great this year and have a pretty easy schedule the rest of the way. >>

Dude, I have read at least 10 of your posts this week that are well thought out and right on the money. If TENN can beat Indianapolis and bury them for good on Monday Night Football, they are the clear favorite to win the Super Bow, if they don't, and they allow the Colts to get up off the mat I really think there are 18 teams that could win the Super Bowl with the right breaks.

DAL, WASH. PHI, NYG, CHI, GB, CAR, TB, ARZ, BUF, NE, NYJ, PITT, TENN, IND, JAX, DEN, SD

I would add BAL and ATL to this list too if they didn't have really young QB's. GB barely made the cut.
  • BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    I certainly like the Pats chances of winning the division and making the playoffs. They will obviously have to continue winning games differently, and perhaps less exciting, than last year. But they seem to be able to do it.

Having the easiest schedule in history will help.

Vito, I'm confused on one point you make.

In one post, any team that's 3-5 or better has a chance to win the Super Bowl.
    In the next post, a Colts loss sending them to 3-4 buries them??

I think 3-4 would make the playoffs right now. Chargers and Jags losing again yesterday makes the AFC truly wide open.

I don't think anyone can tell where the Colts are until they start playing again with all their players. The difference b/t the Pats and Colts, is the Colts expect to get their guys back, and the Pats don't.

Good luck the rest of the way.

Edited to add: Just looked at the standings, and a 3-4 record leaves you a game back of Baltimore for the final spot.
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    hi paulimage
    The reason I said that about Indy is that they'd be essentially 5 games back with all tiebreakers lost to TENN if they lose tonight. They also have a much tougher schedule than BUF, NE, NYJ. So they would have to play exceptionally well to take a Wild Card spot from 2 of those 3 teams (not to mention a surging HOU team and a SD team that HAS to play well at some point!) and they'd be 2 games back of them by losing - plus they play NE on short rest next Sunday night.
  • BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    I concede the division is out of reach with a loss tonight. Heck, even a win would still leave a lot of work to win the division. The Colts are in the middle of a brutal few weeks of their schedule, with road games at Green Bay, at Tennessee, home to New England, and then at Pittsburgh.

After that stretch, it lightens up a little, and they should have Addai and more importantly Sanders back by then. They've already lost the Green Bay game, winning two out of the next three would keep the ship above water. But they aren't playing well enough now to win two of the next three.

I'm proud of myself Paul. I hijacked your Patriots thread with Colts talk!!image
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>hi paulimage >>

Hi Randy!

Tennessee is definately playing great football especially with Kerry Collins if you can believe it! It seems that great defensive teams with a marginal QB who doesnt make many mistakes can get it done as long as you have a ball control scheme with a great running game- all of which Tennessee has going for them right now, however it would not suprise me to see them get smashed by Indy tonight.

I think the Pats can play with anyone right now and win but I dont think they can do it consistently for the entire season.
  • I think that the Pats will end up having a decent season and probably making the playoffs, but like mentioned before it's because there aren't very many strong teams, especially in the AFC.
    --->imageimageimageimage<---
    Really hoping we can finish off the Jills!

• joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Did the AFC East forget that Tom Brady is on the shelf? Jets and Jills both had a chance for payback but can't get it done. Gotta give the Patsies credit, they are
    getting it done.

JS
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was a nice, solid win for the Pats today.
    I was nervous about this game, but it looks like the Jills are not as good as I thought they were a few weeks ago. It is very nice to see us at the top of the division at this point- Again expectations are low but its great to see Cassell and company doing well not to mention our Defense which looks a whole lot better recently.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Patriots could have went into the tank this season, and I thought they would...but Belichick is a coaching genius there's no doubt about that - Debatable about him being the best head coach of all time, but not debatable him being one of the best of all time.
    Wait, lets remember that the Patises have played NO ONE this season. Their schedule has been a joke, especially considering they went 16-0 last season.

JS
    I think my Pats are looking at 10-6. But if they somehow go 5-2 the rest of the way, they may be looking at a bye with the right tiebreakers. I must say I'm just proud of this team for not giving up. They may make some bad plays, but I have never felt like they didn't give a crap at any time all season.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Losing Adalus Thomas is another big blow. Offense looked efficient yesterday against the Bills - Cassell was always solid on short routes, now I'd say he is solid on short and intermediate routes. Still a ways to go to be decent at the longball though. The intermediate balls opened up some nice running room for BenJarvus too.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Another win for the Pats. Still looking good.
    Losing Adalius Thomas is a huge blow to an already banged up Pats D, I guess they are just getting rid of the injury bug thing all this year image
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭

hi paul
    Hi Randy image
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    6-3 without Tom Brady. Not the end of the world yet. A lot of work to do to get to the playoffs, though.
    Lets go and squish the fish!

Tough game so far! I get a kick out of Miami calling the direct snap to Brown play a few times image Like we will get fooled by that foolishness again!
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Brady=System QB. image
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set

<< <i>Brady=System QB. image >>

Im not even going to address that silly banter. image
    Ok back to back huge games for Cassel-like 800+ yards passing! He is finding his groove with Moss which is great to see, I know it was a horrible Fish team but the fact that we are moving the ball effectivaly means anything can happen!
    Gonna lose Light for some time it looks like. I say 1 game only.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
    Is Cassell really good or is the system. I have seen Sorgi play for the Colts and the only way he gets 400 yards in a game is if they were playing IU.
    Ho-Hum just another injury for the 2008 Pats! Like I said before, I hope we can just get it over with this year and and be healthy next season. Im really going to miss Harrison though.
    Pats looking like a contender on offense, a pretender on defense. That Jets loss was huge though.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    when I was getting settled with the Patriots not making the playoffs, being so-so without Brady and having a terrible defense still on a downhill slide after the Superbowl last year, they go pull this stunt of contending. Are they just getting my hopes up or what? The game vs. Pittsburgh will tell the truth.

<< <i>Is Cassell really good or is the system. I have seen Sorgi play for the Colts and the only way he gets 400 yards in a game is if they were playing IU. >>

My theory? Look at how Brady did before he had any playmakers on offense-not great statistics but he got the job done. Moss and Welker arrive and his #'s go through the roof.

You take Moss and Welker away and Cassel might get the job done -he might not, however the chance to put up crazy #'s like back to back 400 yard games against soft defenses is going to be there regardless who is at QB. Bottom line I dont know what to think of Cassel, he has had good and bad games against decent-awful- and soft defenses, certainly not as consistent as Brady. There was a reason however that he was kept as a backup to Brady, IMO Patriots training camp is one of the most difficult to make through and secure a roster spot, Bellichek and company see something in this kid they like.
    While I agree with you analysis about Welker and Moss but Sorgi was throwing to Wayne, Harrison, Clarke and Gonzalez, which are pretty good. However, you might also say that Manning is so good that he makes Wayne, Harrsion, Clarke and Gonzalez better than they really are. No matter how you slice it the Patriots have a much better team and could absorb Brady's loss, the Colts wouldn't win 5 games without Manning at QB.
    the Patriots looked terrible today with fumbles, drops, and soft defense (especially on 3rd down!). Perhaps sealing the fate that was written in the first quarter of the KC game? Even Gostowski missed a field goal, geez.

of course, barring a MIRACULOUS comeback
    I had very high hopes of us beating Pitt tonight, it would have given us some confidence but instead we play like total crap image
    Celtics and Bruins doing well, Sox just signed Junichi Tazawa. Not the year for the Patriots image

<< <i> Not the year for the Patriots image >>

Its not but I still am holding out hopes for a Playoff appearance- the Jets got beat down today so we still can get in providing we get our thing together and play like we are capable of playing!

Cassel throws for back to back 400 yards and this very important game he not only throws two picks but he fumbles a pair away as well!

NOT HAPPY!!! image
    I just can't see a path to the playoffs now for the Pats. With NYJ/BAL/PIT/IND all having reasonably easy schedules (except PITT @ BAL) I don't see how they get in. Stinks.
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just can't see a path to the playoffs now for the Pats. With NYJ/BAL/PIT/IND all having reasonably easy schedules (except PITT @ BAL) I don't see how they get in. Stinks. >>

Pittsburgh has a tough schedule the rest of the way:

Dallas
    @Baltimore
    @Tennessee
    Cleveland (well, not this game)
    Wouldn't matter too much if they make it or not. Can't really beat any playoff caliber teams -- probably a one and done. Still hope they make it, but expectations have been dramatically lowered.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
    Its funny that this thread began with the patsies taking out a "fairly hot Rams team". LMAO

JS
    Dont worry Lil' Kevie, we will know what its like to "LMAO" ourselves once we watch the SUCS get elimenated in the Post Season tournament image
    I just thought it was funny that you thought the Rams were hot, they are perhaps right now the worst team in the league! Your schedule was been
    weak to say the least. You all are not playoff material. Good luck next year.

Kevin
    Beating that same old drum huh Lil' Kevie? Enough with the schedule talk- your Sucs team beat one of the worst teams to ever make a Super Bowl and that is all you can rest your weary eyes on- LMAO PATHETIC image
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Its funny that this thread began with the patsies taking out a "fairly hot Rams team". LMAO

JS >>

Is this coming from the same trap that guaranteed a 0-5 end to the season for the Giants? And how he proclaimed "You heard it here first" in answer to his own statement image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

The bucs are coming for you Giants, and it aint going to be pretty!

JS
    Struggling against a very weak Seattle team today but we get the win.. it just makes it that more realistic that this Pats team is going nowhere even if we make the playoffs. image

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Struggling against a very weak Seattle team today but we get the win.. it just makes it that more realistic that this Pats team is going nowhere even if we make the playoffs. image >>

Clearly Seattle is not as bad as their 2-9 record -- they have had numerous injuries this year, and are now getting some players back.

New England's defense is depleted, but hopefully this comeback will inspire them to run the table as they recover from injuries. Yeah, they are not scaring anyone now, but they are not going away yet! image