Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bought this 1828 CBH from J.J. Teaparty in the raw

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was told it would probably not slab with PCGS because of the deep rainbow toning.

Well, here she is.....what do you guys think of her?

I can only imagine what RickO will say.


image

Comments

  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous. Did it slab on the first try?
  • Options
    stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    Very nice.
  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 13,269 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Wow, what grade ? >>



    AU55.
    Nice work Goldbully. image

    "Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working" Pablo Picasso

  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Gorgeous. Did it slab on the first try? >>




    Yup!!! image
  • Options
    so what did it grade, looks like au55 to me
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

  • Options
    image
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275 ✭
    It's very nice for a 55, but would never have a chance of a 58 at PCGS.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 23,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS has slabbed quite a few CBHs with that look in the past, if I am interpreting the TrueView images correctly, so this does not surprise me very much at all.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Options


    I'd give it a AU58, bump for eye appeal and originality...image

    My Ebay Auctions

    Currently Listed: Nothing

    Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭
    Gorgeous coin! Looks to match your 1834 very nicely.

    -Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Gorgeous coin! Looks to match your 1834 very nicely.

    -Paul >>



    Paul, how did you remember that coin??? I wish I had your memory!!!!! That's amazing!!!!

    Here is that coin.........

    image
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    OOBER NICE!! image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."



    - Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭
    pretty coin!
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I was told it would probably not slab with PCGS because of the deep rainbow toning.

    Well, here she is.....what do you guys think of her?

    I can only imagine what RickO will say.


    image >>




    Meant to add, Liz attributed her as an O-109 / R-3 for those that are interested.
  • Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice 1828, congrats, she's a beautyimage
  • Options
    MercfanMercfan Posts: 701 ✭✭
    That is a LOVELY coin!

    But back to your title, which is a wondreful example of syntactic ambiguity:

    Was it you or J.J. Teaparty who was in the raw?

    Either way, I get a big kick out of visualizing the sale image

    image
    "Coin collecting problem"? What "coin collecting problem"?
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>That is a LOVELY coin!

    But back to your title, which is a wondreful example of syntactic ambiguity:

    Was it you or J.J. Teaparty who was in the raw?

    Either way, I get a big kick out of visualizing the sale image

    image >>




    Good one!!! image
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wear wise, it's a solid 55 or 58. From the image I see, however, I would not have bought the coin. As Tom said, PCGS has slabbed many with this 'look.' They deem it to be "market acceptable." Not to rag on either you or PCGS, but do you think it is normal for so many coins of this series in this grade (and higher) to have this kind of toning? I don't.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options


    << <i>Wear wise, it's a solid 55 or 58. From the image I see, however, I would not have bought the coin. As Tom said, PCGS has slabbed many with this 'look.' They deem it to be "market acceptable." Not to rag on either you or PCGS, but do you think it is normal for so many coins of this series in this grade (and higher) to have this kind of toning? I don't. >>



    Actually, there is quite a good reason why there might be a large number of these type coins with this type of toning... it is called "Whitman Album Blue" image
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Goldbully, what was it graded when it was listed? >>




    Liz Coggin is always dead on.....she graded it AU55.
  • Options
    Very nice- I like it a lot. Congrats on a raw purchase that worked out well.image
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Wear wise, it's a solid 55 or 58. From the image I see, however, I would not have bought the coin. As Tom said, PCGS has slabbed many with this 'look.' They deem it to be "market acceptable." Not to rag on either you or PCGS, but do you think it is normal for so many coins of this series in this grade (and higher) to have this kind of toning? I don't. >>



    You are probably correct, but I don't care because this coin is quite eye appealing in hand.

    J.J. Teaparty loved the coin and told me I would too....they were right!!! image
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both the 1828 and the 1834 are very nice, Goldbully. Well done.
  • Options

    Ok... They say coinage averages 20 years in circulation, so the last bust half's were put-up just before the civil war or shortly after...

    So... Then you have to look the type of storage available to them at the time...

    Probably, cardboard, paper and or textile...

    Just say'n..."-)

    My Ebay Auctions

    Currently Listed: Nothing

    Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Both the 1828 and the 1834 are very nice, Goldbully. Well done. >>




    Thanks MidLifeCrisis, every now and then you get lucky!!! image
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin.

    Congrats. image


    Mike
  • Options
    Very nice coin! And J.J. Teaparty are definately good people. image
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭
    Very nice! Wonder why JJ Teaparty did not slab her first...or perhaps they tried? It does seem more difficult to get toners slabbed lately.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Very nice! Wonder why JJ Teaparty did not slab her first...or perhaps they tried? It does seem more difficult to get toners slabbed lately. >>




    Liz bought the coin raw, and she had no intention on slabbing the coin.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 23,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the last two years JJT has moved from selling primarily raw coins to selling almost exclusively coins that are certified. Many of those coins were sent in by JJT. Therefore, I would have to strongly believe that they might have just purchased the coin, however, they almost certainly had plans to submit the coin if it didn't sell.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>In the last two years JJT has moved from selling primarily raw coins to selling almost exclusively coins that are certified. Many of those coins were sent in by JJT. Therefore, I would have to strongly believe that they might have just purchased the coin, however, they almost certainly had plans to submit the coin if it didn't sell. >>



    TomB, you nailed it!!!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file