Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool nice and nice pic thanks for posting.image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was a good post, thanks!
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    I love that so many old, interesting threads have been brought to the top recently!

For anyone who is interested, the Bank of California still exists today, as the Union Bank of California.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    TireKickerTireKicker Posts: 870 ✭✭

<< <i>ttt just for kewlness! >>

Thank you for pulling this from the basement! This is a great post, very informative and I had no idea this was in San Francisco!image
    All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fun post, thanks.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    I missed this post the first two times around.
    Although I have not been to SF for 25+ years,
    when I do go again someday, I'll have to look
    up that bank. Very interesting !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>ttt just for kewlness! >>

Thank you for pulling this from the basement! This is a great post, very informative and I had no idea this was in San Francisco!image >>

+1. I've been in SF a couple times (absolutely fell in love with it) and didn't know they had such an interesting bank museum. I'll most definitely have to check it out next time I'm over there. Thanks for writing this up, Dennis!
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Congratulations to Dennis!

An extract of this thread (including some pictures) was included in tonight's E-Sylum, the free weekly e-mail newsletter from the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

Congratulations to Dennis for creating the thread and thanks to CaptHenway for bringing it to the top where it could be enjoyed once again!

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, great thread and photos Dennis! Definitely the post of the weekend for me - even if it's an oldie! All that territorial gold together in one place with the PanPac set is a treat! imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Speaking of counterfeits, the 1853 USAOG $20 "Proof" is one of the recently condemned "Transfer Die Forgeries".

The 999 Fine Humbert "Proofing" ingot is also a forgery, along with the Eagle Mining gold bar.

Many of the items in the Bank of California display are pieces that either came from, or were owned, by John Ford. >>

Are the transfer die strikes from John Ford? Was he involved in their creation?

Do we know where those transfer dies are? Seems like an interesting story to be had!
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Great post.
    Thanks Capt for bringing it back.
    I joined this great site after this post was originated.
    I live only 15 miles away and did not knw about it.
    Certainly will visit it soon!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    firstmintfirstmint Posts: 1,171
    The transfer dies were made sometime before the $20 USAOG forgeries first appeared in early 1958.

Ford defended these as originals throughout his career, but he didn't make the dies.

More about this interaction can be found in my new book, "John J Ford, Jr. and the Franklin Hoard".
    PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad that thread was revived. Good read! image

The Dubosq dies were made by Longacre, as discussed in a different thread here some time ago. Here's another splasher.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Incredible history in that small room! That's what makes this hobby so interesting....
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Dennis, I'm curious. Were you the only one there? Did you have to ask to see the museum, and have somebody open it up for you? Or were you able to just wander down there? Seems like a very cool, unknown little exhibit!
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I visited all I had to do was tell the security guard inside the bank entrance that I wanted to visit the museum. He said ok and I just walked down the stairs and had the whole place to myself. It was great.
  • Options

<< <i>When I visited all I had to do was tell the security guard inside the bank entrance that I wanted to visit the museum. He said ok and I just walked down the stairs and had the whole place to myself. It was great. >>

That does sound great. A great way to enjoy some coins.
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Just walk in and say what's up. I've been there 25 times and that's all I say. I doubt they get one visitor a day.
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    Going to SF in a couple of weeks, will definitely check it out! Thanks!

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been through SF a hundred times and never knew of this. I will put it on "bucket list." Thanks for bringing this thread back to life.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow....
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post, I am glad I saw it this time around. Next time I am in San Francisco I will check it out.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the recommendations.

I visited the bank on Tuesday June 11.

I especially liked the Mormon coins, including this one:

Utah Mormon $5 gold coin with lion and Mormon alphabet

I am not sure if this was posted before, but the museum is open during banking hours
    and there is no admission charge.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Never really have explored SF, a great reason to make it out there
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Wow...I didn't even know this thread was revived back in June and that it was featured in the E-Sylum (and I'm a subscriber...shame on me).

This visit was back in the summer of 2008 during my first visit to the US...in January of 2011 I moved to Northern California and even though I've visited San Francisco plenty of times since then I never made it back again (shame on me part 2).

On a sidenote, some of the pictures were featured in Karl Moulton's book on John J Ford and the Franklin Hoard...and shame on me, part 3, I haven't purchased it yet.

But it was fun to read this thread again, and thanks for all the kind comments for the past 5 years. I should print this one just for grabs one day.

Dennis
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TTT.

For FadeToBlack's perusal in connection with his upcoming trip to SF.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a couple of other places of interest in the area:

The first San Francisco Mint was open from 1854 to 1874 at 608 Commercial Street near Montgomery Street.
    The building was previously used by Moffat & Company, a private mint and assay office.
    There is a small mint museum in the basement of the building with some replica ore carts and bags

More posted here:
    http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=909398

The former gold rush Bank of Lucas, Turner and Company (now an office building) at 800 Montgomery Street at Jackson.

This bank ran from 1854 to 1857 and was managed by one of California's more colorful gold rush characters, William T. Sherman.

Sherman wrote an autobiography and mentioned the thousands of dollars in gold which were kept at his bank.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    If anyone is interested in a great read that expertly exposes the seedy underbelly of Numismatics as it pertains to Territorial Gold, Karl Moulton's book, "John J. Ford and the Franklin Hoard", is exceptional.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    Very interesting, thanks for posting all the photos.
    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting this. What this forum is all about!
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If anyone is interested in a great read that expertly exposes the seedy underbelly of Numismatics as it pertains to Territorial Gold, Karl Moulton's book, "John J. Ford and the Franklin Hoard", is exceptional. >>

Based on some of the images posted in the beginning of this thread, there is a very good reason why BigMoose posted what he did.

Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a great post and I think I really liked the Steel Hub... thanks for sharing
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I posted my recommendation of this place in the newer thread. Missed this older thread before, but I've been to this museum many times and it's always a treat. This is the first time I'd read of the John Ford provenance of some of the items. Thanks for reposting.
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    ttt for interesting thread, in so many ways.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file