Home Sports Talk
Options

Spot the incongruity (a.ka. Why I'm not the rabid sports fan I once was)

yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
I'll go ahead and make it easy for you by highlighting the discordant phrases:

The Browns Suspend Winslow for Criticism

By The ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: October 21, 2008

The Cleveland Browns on Tuesday suspended tight end Kellen Winslow for one game without pay for critical comments he made after Sunday’s 14-11 loss at Washington.

Winslow, who spent three days at the Cleveland Clinic earlier this month with an undisclosed illness, revealed Sunday that he had had a staph infection. He also complained that the franchise, which has had at least six cases of staph in the past three years, asked him to hide his illness.

Winslow criticized General Manager Phil Savage for not checking on him in the hospital, said he felt as if he was being treated like a “piece of meat,” and said he considered requesting a trade.

In a statement released Tuesday, Savage called Winslow’s comments and behavior “unwarranted, inappropriate and unnecessarily disparaging to our organization.”

“His statements brought unjustified negative attention to our organization, and violated the team-first concept of our football squad,” Savage said.

Winslow will miss Sunday’s game at Jacksonville, costing him $235,294 — his one-game paycheck. Winslow can appeal his suspension through the players’ union.
imageimageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I would try if I knew what 'incongruity' meant.

And 'discordant' too for that matter.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    you must be very old if you were once a fan at a time when athletes weren't exploited and well paid for it
    Tom
  • Options
    Cordant is a company that makes communications software for microsoft and outsources its work to India. I think yawie is saying he is against free trade.

Edit to add: image
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Are you saying Winslow and his hall of fame stats are not worth 235K+? You have to be kidding me, the guy is worth every penny, he is a team player, never misses
    games due to health and is always out there giving 100%. Who wouldn't want this future HOF'er in their line up?

Sincerely,
    J Shockey
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have zero clue what your point is Yawie but I will give my opinion..

I think Winslow needs to get with the program and understand he is getting paid HUGE money and he needs to show up and play to the best of his ability and not complain about in house stuff to the media. As far as his infection is concerned he is a big boy and if he felt he needed better mewdical attention he should have checked himself into a hospital and demanded more tests to be done, if in fact it was a staph infection that was linked to the Browns facility he should have informed them and his teamates about it and went from there.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    My point was that Winslow just seems completely detached from the reality I inhabit. I don't begrudge pro athletes the salaries they earn, but it is a bit absurd for them to complain about being treated like a piece of meat. Not that the franchise is above reproach in this situation.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My point was that Winslow just seems completely detached from the reality I inhabit. I don't begrudge pro athletes the salaries they earn, but it is a bit absurd for them to complain about being treated like a piece of meat. Not that the franchise is above reproach in this situation. >>

I gotcha and agree. image