Comments

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Boston 1915
    New York 1950
    Baltimore 1983
    Toronto 1993

Lets see if we can make it a sweep image >>

and maybe the Rays will play in Tampa long enough to get to the playoffs again after this year image

next stop: East Tumbleweed, Oklahoma
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Boston 1915
    New York 1950
    Baltimore 1983
    Toronto 1993

and maybe the Rays will play in Tampa long enough to get to the playoffs again after this year image

next stop: East Tumbleweed, Oklahoma >>

They'll never play in Tampa bozo.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Boston 1915
    New York 1950
    Baltimore 1983
    Toronto 1993

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Boston 1915
    New York 1950
    Baltimore 1983
    Toronto 1993

next stop: East Tumbleweed, Oklahoma >>

They'll never play in Tampa bozo. >>

ROFL!
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    How can semi-fans come out at the end of the year when your team did everything against what you thought? Rays fan didn't give your team a chance
    in *ell, heck they only started coming to games when they got to the playoffs...now they are on here talking smack against a team that has a ring?

Memo to Rays fan...next year, check in on day 1, not day 185!

JS
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Memo to JS Goot has been a fan of the Rays since day 1.

Get your facts straight before you open your mouth.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Goot interesting stat.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    now they are on here talking smack against a team that has a ring?

lol 1 ring in 125 years, you really know how to BS JS.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>Memo to JS Goot has been a fan of the Rays since day 1.

Get your facts straight before you open your mouth.

Steve >>

Seriously, I believe it was spring training (February?) way prior to day 1 that Goot was on here pointing out what the rest of us didn't want to believe about the Rays. You can knock the other Rays fans, but Goot earned the right to talk some smack.
  • Options

<< <i>Goot interesting stat.

Steve >>

Yea, fascinating stat.

• Options

<< <i>only started coming to games when they got to the playoffs.
    JS >>

I live 2 1/2 hours from the Trop but the family has had one of those 10 game weekend plans since the 2004 season and often go to more, due to the fact that my sister lives in Tampa, 1/2 hour from the stadium. I also haven't even been to a playoff game this year. My dad's been off on business a lot lately and I have football on pretty much every game day. I've been a member of the rays message board since about the same time I joined this one as well, mid-2007, back when the only team in the Rays organization having success were the Montogmery Biscuits and the Durham Bulls....interesting that the AA and AAA champs have come from the Rays the last couple of years and now, the Rays are winning, I think there might be something there.

To be honest, I wasn't really starting smalk, just pointing out a fact that I thought was pretty surprising.
  • Options
    If Percival's prediction from the beginning of the year is any indication, the Phils might be in for some trouble. How much success did the Phils have against Glavine, Avery and Smoltz?

• Options

<< <i>If Percival's prediction from the beginning of the year is any indication, the Phils might be in for some trouble. How much success did the Phils have against Glavine, Avery and Smoltz?

image >>

That shirt may be true for this year, but those guys don't have a chance to match Glavine, Avery, and Smoltz.
    I'm glad he didn't include Maddux on that shirt.

Not saying the Rays pitchers are bad. But throwing heat in the AL East will wear down your arm. Too much competition
    here to have flamethrowers like Garza and Kazmir's arms stay healthy for too long.

Tampa could turn into Cleveland next year too. Cleveland had a lot of young talent last year in Sabathia, Carmona, Sizemore,
    and Hafner, and look where they ended up now.

Nice inspirational shirt for sure, but the AL East will be brutal on hard throwers. Guys like Halladay and Wang are much
    better off in this league then guys like Beckett and Kazmir. Just my opinion.
  • Options

<< <i>

That shirt may be true for this year, but those guys don't have a chance to match Glavine, Avery, and Smoltz.
    I'm glad he didn't include Maddux on that shirt.

Not saying the Rays pitchers are bad. But throwing heat in the AL East will wear down your arm. Too much competition
    here to have flamethrowers like Garza and Kazmir's arms stay healthy for too long.

Tampa could turn into Cleveland next year too. Cleveland had a lot of young talent last year in Sabathia, Carmona, Sizemore,
    and Hafner, and look where they ended up now.

Nice inspirational shirt for sure, but the AL East will be brutal on hard throwers. Guys like Halladay and Wang are much
    better off in this league then guys like Beckett and Kazmir. Just my opinion. >>

I'm pretty sure the shirt wasn't 100% serious, just something inspirational like you said. Percival knows how hard it is to pick up the accomplishments that Glavine and Smoltz did. If any of them have 1/2 the career that either Glavine or Smoltz had, I'd be impressed.
  • Options
    Can ya please keep the smack talk down, I'm trying to get some sleep.

• Options
    Please, what did Goot show up with a ...I like the rays post? The guy has been missing most of the season, he didn't even post when his team was playing the
    red sox, what is he going to wait another two week?

I hate when people show up AFTER their team has done the hard work. There were plenty of NY Giant fans showing up last year after the super bowl, I think
    it would be best to just sit down and say nothing. If you are a real fan, you make your presence known here, or don't expect any praise after you show up
    175 games into the season!

Maybe Im missing a post or two from last March, but I don't remember ANYONE here every backing a Tampa team besides me. Maybe all these couch dwelling
    Met, Yankee and Bo Sox fan, can take the time to pull those threads!

Go Phils!

JS
  • Options
    Here is a little quote from the so called "Rays Fan":

<< <i>Elijah Dukes isn't even on the team and hasnt been for a month, he got taken off the 25 man and was in court the other day. He admited ,under oath, that he drank and smoked pot every day. Guy is scum. Dyoung is on an absolute tear and Crawford wants out. We suck and I dont care. Theyre just the florida team I root for b/c you gotta rep your home state somehow. In the end though, I'm a Braves fan for life. >>

Class Dismissed
  • Options

<< <i>Here is a little quote from the so called "Rays Fan":

<< <i>Elijah Dukes isn't even on the team and hasnt been for a month, he got taken off the 25 man and was in court the other day. He admited ,under oath, that he drank and smoked pot every day. Guy is scum. Dyoung is on an absolute tear and Crawford wants out. We suck and I dont care. Theyre just the florida team I root for b/c you gotta rep your home state somehow. In the end though, I'm a Braves fan for life. >>

Class Dismissed >>

DOH!
  • Options
    The Ray's remind me a lot of a young Braves team from the 90's. I hope they have a good long run, and they start by beating up the Phillies.
  • Options
    Stalin maybe if you were not hiding because of welching on bets you would know what the rest of us knew
    here and that Goot did not just jump on a Tampa Bay bandwagon.

Nice try though.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Steve...did you read the quote? Wait, dumb question...have your mom read the quote for you and tell you what is says.

JS
  • Options
    Yes I did read the quote, I also read the other 50 or so quotes that he has written over the past 2 years.

maybe you should ask your mother for a 50.00 loan and pay off your gambling debt(s).

Since we are bringing mothers into the conversation.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    50 or so other quotes? Any of them saying how great the Phillies are?

Sincerely,
    Band Wagon Fan covering all his bases.
  • Options

<< <i>The Ray's remind me a lot of a young Braves team from the 90's. I hope they have a good long run, and they start by beating up the Phillies. >>

they'll never be able to resign their young talent. it'll go to the Sox, Yankees, Angels, Mets, Cubs of the world. sad, but true.
    they'll be able to sign 1 player long term, maybe 2. and god help them if he/they get hurt, cause they'll be killed by the payroll debt. THAT'S what separates the large from the small markets.
  • Options
    No not one.

And yes, you signed your name perfectly.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The Ray's remind me a lot of a young Braves team from the 90's. I hope they have a good long run, and they start by beating up the Phillies. >>

they'll never be able to resign their young talent. it'll go to the Sox, Yankees, Angels, Mets, Cubs of the world. sad, but true.
    they'll be able to sign 1 player long term, maybe 2. and god help them if he/they get hurt, cause they'll be killed by the payroll debt. THAT'S what separates the large from the small markets. >>

Well, they already locked up Longoria long term. Eight years, I think. He's certainly a guy you could build a team around.
  • Options
    Oh and Stalin, just to make it easier for you, here is a thread you should try to read:

Goot's Rays Thread from February.
  • Options
    Stalin, you're honestly such a tool it's ridiculous. Other guys have sent me pm's complaining about you, but I always just brushed it aside and figured that you've always been cool to me, so no harm no foul....not anymore. Someone that takes the time to try and show someone on a message board, that they've never even met before, up proves what a pathetic loser you are. This is what I was dreading, Phillies fan taking it so seriously that the fun get's sucked out of it. Honestly, if the Rays lose the series (but not swept) I'll be upset, but still so elated from the season that we've had, that I'll be more happy than sad. Just have fun baby.

In the quote, what did I say that's so wrong? Elijah Dukes= scum(at the time) , Delmon Young is a d-bag but was on a tear at the time, and Crawford did want out. WE sucked, and I didn't care, because I'm a REAL RAYS FAN. Did I originally fall in love with the team because they were the Florida team that I chose to root for? Yeah, they were, back in 2004 because 1) games in Miami suck and 2) my sister lives in Tampa.

Did you miss my thread from February saying that the Rays were going to be good this year? Did you miss my old sig that had a picture of Carl Crawford, Warren Spahn and Chipper Jones, that had been up since the beginning of '08? Do you want to see my wardrobe of GREEN DEVIL RAY gear, and my Delmon Young shirt? What about the Kazmir shirt that I'm wearing right now that is GREEN and a number 26, the number he was back in 2006? How about some ticket stubs from over a few years ago? A card collection focused around Rocco Baldelli, Carl Crawford and Scott Kazmir? Pictures of me at Rays Fanfest this year? You want to see any of it and I'll be more than happy to supply you with them.

Am I a Braves fan for life? Yes. Am I a Rays fan for life? Yes. The Braves are N.L. and the Rays are A.L, and they don't have any sort of rivalry and only play each other every few years, so it's actually quite easy to cheer for both.

The Braves suck this year and I'm still a huge fan. If the Rays suck next year, will I still be a huge fan? Of course, I'll probably be living in Tampa and will probably go to 20+ games. However, if they do suck, it won't be the end of the world because I'm not someone that let's my team's success or failures dictate my day to day life like some of you dweebs, since how well "your" sports team does is all you guys can brag about.

How bout you keep on being the clown of this forum, while I go enjoy the series, and cheer on the team's I want to cheer for (in my sig so you don't miss them), deal?

Class dismissed.
  • Options
    That should put an end to that.

<<<<Class dismissed>>>>>

Classic.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    THAT'S what separates the large from the small markets.

It was already shown that Tampa is not a small market.

Also, teams have insurance for certain amounts in regards to contracts.

Lets stop with all the large market/small market crap in baseball. Those teams are owned by billionaires.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>they'll never be able to resign their young talent. it'll go to the Sox, Yankees, Angels, Mets, Cubs of the world. sad, but true.
    they'll be able to sign 1 player long term, maybe 2. and god help them if he/they get hurt, cause they'll be killed by the payroll debt. THAT'S what separates the large from the small markets. >>

Kaz is here 'til 2011 plus an option in '12.
    Aki has an option for 2010.
    Rocco has options for every year 'til 2011.
    Shields has options through '14.
    David Price is signed through 2012.
    Longoria has options going through 2015 or '16....can't remember.

Probably a few more, but that's all I can think of right now. The Rays also still have one of the badddest farm systems in baseball.

• Options
    Ah, now the smack is getting a little better - if ya don't get at least a little ticked off from being smacked, then it isn't good smack...but ya just let it roll off your shoulder and enjoy it for what it is...at least that's what I do anyway.

Best of luck to the Rays - I hope they do well in all 4 of the games that they will lose. image
  • Options

<< <i>THAT'S what separates the large from the small markets.

Lets stop with all the large market/small market crap in baseball. Those teams are owned by billionaires.

Steve >>

yep, Florida definitely had the same market potential as teams in the northeast.

25 man roster for the rays: 43 million.

Mets 137 million.
    Cubs 118 million.
    Red Sox: 133
    Yanks: 209.

no way you can argue there's any difference there.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>THAT'S what separates the large from the small markets.

lay

Steve >>

yep, Florida definitely had the same market potential as teams in the northeast.

Mets 137 million.
    Cubs 118 million.

no way you can argue there's any difference there. >>

Mets fans are in constant denial over this - and watch their payroll go up again...and watch them fail to make the playoffs again in 2009. Mets management doesn't get it that it is the QUALITY of the players, not the price of the players that win championships.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    +1 for Goot....
    You have rooted for the Rays all year (and then some) and should be commended. Enjoy the series...I wish the Sox were there, but since I live in the Tampa Bay area I have no problem rooting for the Rays... Good Luck!

Bob...
  • Options
    Goot

You have admitted publically that you are a closet Braves fan and only root for the Rays cause you live in Florida. I don't doubt that we would be having the same
    conversation here about you loving the Marlins, if they were in the WS and not the Rays. I guess rooting for multiple teams gives you a better chance of rooting
    for a winning team every once in a while. You may call that being a fan, I call that bandwagon jumping. I don't root for another team,s actually I hate them all. In
    20 years I will still be a Phillies fan, and in 40 years still.

Congrats that you have been a Rays (and Braves and Marlins...) "fan" since February. Even a broken clock is right twice a day right?

JS
  • Options
    goot, it's not worth your time or effort replying to stalin. He's a class A d-bag and won't ever be able to get past that fact.

And he's a stinking welch.
  • Options

<< <i>goot, it's not worth your time or effort replying to stalin. He's a class A d-bag and won't ever be able to get past that fact.

And he's a stinking welch. >>

Gum...how does the couch feel?

LMAO

JS
  • Options

<< <i>Goot

You have admitted publically that you are a closet Braves fan and only root for the Rays cause you live in Florida. I don't doubt that we would be having the same
    conversation here about you loving the Marlins, if they were in the WS and not the Rays. I guess rooting for multiple teams gives you a better chance of rooting
    for a winning team every once in a while. You may call that being a fan, I call that bandwagon jumping. I don't root for another team,s actually I hate them all. In
    20 years I will still be a Phillies fan, and in 40 years still.

Congrats that you have been a Rays (and Braves and Marlins...) "fan" since February. Even a broken clock is right twice a day right?

JS >>

Think about it bozo.......I became a Rays fan in '03/'04, otherwise known as the time that the Marlins won the world series. If I was truly a front runner, I wouldn't have become a Rays fan at that time and would have picked the Marlins instead. Plus, I could never root for another NL East team.

Honestly, if I was truly a "bandwagon jumper", don't you think I'd pick better franchises to associate myself with than the Braves and Rays? You really think I'm that dumb I mean, other than a few decades here and there, the Braves are one of the worst franchises in the history of the game and the Rays are easily the worst franchise in baseball history if you go by their first 10 seasons. An example of me being a frontrunner would be me picking a team in, I don't know, Pennsylvania, even though I'm born and raised a Florida boy. God forbid I like both the "Team of the South" as well as a hometown team that is in another league as the Braves.

But, you caught me, I sure am a "closet fan", I mean, it's not like I have a Braves license plate, as well as Rays and Bucs bumper stickers on my rear window.......cut me a break.

Your obsession with what team's I root for is actually quite scary. I do have to ask though, did you by any chance become a Phillies fan in the late 70's/early 80's? What about the Bucs, 1997?

One bit of advice: Maybe you should stop hating every other team. It actually makes the game fun to watch and would probably make you less of a jerk. Just throwin it out there.
  • Options
    This usually shuts up stalin...

edited to add: 292 x 412 and almost 40k is larger than allowed by CU rules...it's almost like he's compensating for something.
  • Options
    Dude, you root for multiple teams, thats ok, you think that is cool, I think its weak...who cares right?

JS
  • Options

<< <i>goot, it's not worth your time or effort replying to stalin. He's a class A d-bag and won't ever be able to get past that fact.

And he's a stinking welch. >>

Eh, I might eventually, but for now I'm enjoying these rather lame reasons he keeps pulling out of his rear. image
  • Options

<< <i>Dude, you root for multiple teams, thats ok, you think that is cool, I think its weak...who cares right?

JS >>

Obviously you do since you're the one that brought it up........
  • Options
    I'm cool with it as long as you don't show up on day 175 talking smack like you have liked them all your life!

JS
  • Options

<< <i>I'm cool with it as long as you don't show up on day 175 talking smack like you have liked them all your life!

JS >>

Well I choose to talk about my team the way most on here do. In case you didn't know, that's in a nice calm way without warranting confrontation (not a fan of it), rather than making numerous posts over how Chipper was going to hit .400, Edwin Jackson is the next Bob Gibson because of a single solid start, or maybe even on how many times Evan Longoria spit in a single game.

Your lame Phillies threads that covered similar topics took up most of the first page for a majority of the season, so it's understandable that you were never able to witness such interaction.
  • Options
    fair enough..good luck to your team(s)

JS
  • Options
    joestalin just got

• Options
    ep, Florida definitely had the same market potential as teams in the northeast.

Mets 137 million.
    Cubs 118 million.

no way you can argue there's any difference there. >>

Who said anything about payroll? YOU surely DID NOT. (Until now) Market means population, and like I said
    it was shown earlier that it is not a SMALL MARKET.

Now if you want to say that Tampa Bay has a smaller payroll that is another fact all together.

And fwiw I noticed that you did not mention the Sillies Payroll of around 100 million , wonder why?

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options

Your lame Phillies threads that covered similar topics took up most of the first page for a majority of the season, so it's understandable that you were never able to witness such interaction.

lmao

Bam

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Ah, now the smack is getting a little better - if ya don't get at least a little ticked off from being smacked, then it isn't good smack...D >>