Home Metal Detecting
Options

I went for a walk and found a few old bottles.

HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
I don't know anything about old bottles but I thought they were interesting.

This ones quite a nice dark green colour:

I found three of these the same, they say SY MINGTON & Cos, ESS COFFEE & CHICORY, EDINBURGH on them:

This one is a dark green colour and says, WM YOUNGER & Co TRADE, * MARK, EDINBURGH and still has its stopper:

This one says CHEF SAUCE:

This one's got quite a bit of writing on it:

This next one is my favourite it it is a nice blue colour and I think its old as it has bubble's in the glass:

another blue one:

a small shot glass or eye wash? and a (unfortunately broken) green bottle says JB......SON ESTABLISHED, 1857 SELKIRK.

Comments

• Options
    looks like your from britain. none of your bottles are in my books. did a search on google and found this:
    trade marks UK
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are interesting... unfortunately, I don't know anything about them

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Hi, How did you find them. What is the story behind your finds?
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    i used to go digging in dumps andaround old houses in the sticks & find bottles years ago,fun stuff,this one with the bubbles and slant in the bottom of the glass is a oldie image
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys.

There's not much of a story really, I was out walking and stopped at a little bridge above a little stream. I spotted some bottles laying about, some half buried, so I collected them and cleaned them up just using warm soapy water.

I don't know if someone found them somewhere else and dumped them there. Some were half buried in mud, but there isn't much mud where they were, mostly rocks.

I do know of another place where I have seen some bottles lying in the ground off the beaten track up a hill side in some tress. I might take a spade there and see what turns up.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice bottles.. check them out on the bottle collector sites... some have real value... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    nice! definitely dig up those others, just dig carefully!
  • Options
    i used to love digging in old dumps and stuff in the sticks, lots of bottles, marbles, good broken stuffimage
  • Options
    Very cool bottles!
    --->imageimageimageimage<---
  • Options
    might sound strange,but if u live in the sticks like i do and know where old houses were, look for the place where the outhouse used to be, they are usually full of old botlles and other cool stuff ,usually a sunken spot in the ground if not weeded over to badimage
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Great finds!! I love finding old bottles. -Dan
  • Options
    digging is fun!!!!!!!!!!!!im getting me another metal deactor this spring too,wv is full of woods and old shacks
  • Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks guys.

There's not much of a story really, I was out walking and stopped at a little bridge above a little stream. I spotted some bottles laying about, some half buried, so I collected them and cleaned them up just using warm soapy water.

I don't know if someone found them somewhere else and dumped them there. Some were half buried in mud, but there isn't much mud where they were, mostly rocks.

I do know of another place where I have seen some bottles lying in the ground off the beaten track up a hill side in some tress. I might take a spade there and see what turns up. >>

Heh... I hope these didn't come out of the Water of Leith! j/k

One method to tell if they are very old - examine the sides for a straight line running up the side and over the lip. If no line is present, its a very old bottle, while if a line is present but ends before the lip its probably mid to late 1800s. A complete line over the top means post 1891 and likely post 1905 or 1910. That dark green bottle is a very nice colour btw - I have no ideas on premiums on these but I know that some colours tend to fetch higher values - although I tend to keep most of the bottles I have found over the years.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoa! You got some nice ones, there! image

Intact, too! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PS-

Hus, it is good to see you over here. Do you own a detector?

If not, you need to get one! Please, please, pleeease show us some outing photos of you poking around in that wonderful dirt on the other side of the pond! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    robmanrobman Posts: 42 ✭✭