Home Precious Metals
Options

B&M has PM Available, Is It Fair

Haven't been interested in coins or PMs for a long time. Today I happened to discover today that my local B&M has a good supply of AGE and fractional AGE's. I am not interested in Buying or Selling PM. However I did inquire as to price. His current quote is $100 over spot for each one ounce and $80 over spot for each half ounce fractional eagle. Is this the going rate these days?
Planchet

Comments

• Options
    That sounds about the going rate.
  • Options
    go to teletrade direct and get you some Maples for 50 over spot....image
  • Options
    Little high.

OTOH, Eagles are becoming hard to find anywhere and they seem to be the preferred type among new investors.

$55 over locally on 1 ouncers, but they don't last long. Haven't seen a half ouncer in quite a while.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    I would pass, but if they are scarce and you want/need them right now,
    I guess it is "fair."

Between 3% and 6% is really all the retail-premium I would be willing to pay.
    Especially at the current spot levels.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Little high.

OTOH, Eagles are becoming hard to find anywhere and they seem to be the preferred type among new investors.

$55 over locally on 1 ouncers, but they don't last long. Haven't seen a half ouncer in quite a while. >>

The dealer to dealer buy/sell spread on one ounce gold eagles is +70/+85. Retail is, of necessity, higher than that.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Little high.

$55 over locally on 1 ouncers, but they don't last long. Haven't seen a half ouncer in quite a while. >>

The dealer to dealer buy/sell spread on one ounce gold eagles is +70/+85. Retail is, of necessity, higher than that.
    TD >>

I've long noticed that prices seem to be a bit cheaper here in south Texas, while melt silver has usually been a bit higher.

Been using it to my advantage for years now.

There are other shops in the range you are talking about. I quit going to them a long time ago.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff