Home Metal Detecting
Options

Strange Beach Toast

Got this wheat cent at the beach today.
I could see "One Cent" but not much more due to a crust like what is found on a zinc cent.

When I got it home, and had a better look, I thought it would not yield a date. So I took the pliers to the crust. Just a quick squeeze. The stuff starts to fall off. I would not do this on a coin that I want to save ;-)

This coin has strange (to me) lines ALL across the coin. High and low spots, and both sides!

Jerry
CROCK of COINS
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    definitely strange!
  • Options
    Looks like textile lines. Probably was in a cloth pouch or a lost pair of shorts, which have long disintegrated.
  • Options
    striations?
    Could this be the cause?

>>Adjustment Marks -- Small striations or file marks found on early U.S. coins. These marks were caused during planchet preparation when a file was drawn across the coin to remove any excess metal. In doing so, the file reduced the planchet to its proper weight and resulted in a series of parallel grooves. <<
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    No, there were never adjustment marks on any lincoln cents. Adjustment marks only occur on very old coins.

That's corrosion that got an 'interesting start'.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is sure a strange surface abberation.. I have never seen that before.... and no idea how it occurred. Cheers, RickO