Home Metal Detecting
Options

My Friend found this while metal detecting in England about a week ago

Ok guys, I'm not a metal detector, but I have several friends from a couple different coin clubs who go metal detecting.
There are a few members who are hard-core detectorists and go detecting all over England looking for goodies.
Most often they come up with bronze and silver ancient coins, but once in a while they strike gold!!!

On their recent trip to England, this group of detectors found something that I can only describe as a wonderful treasure.
They found a 1 1/2 inch tall, solid gold, statue, of what looks to be a monk or other religious figure from the 13th century.

If any of you know what exactly they found and could provide me with more information on it, it would be most appreciated.
Currently the item is being taken to the British Museum for processing to see if they want it or not.

Below is the item I am talking about:

Comments

• Options
    Hmm, I doubt it would be "Monk" related due to their vow of poverty. Perhaps it's "Pope" related ¿?

• Options
    Star wars figure?

Ray
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    I'm fairly sure they want it.

Your friends will get a cash payment.
  • Options
    Just judging by that picture it almost appears to be a depiction of Moses with the 10 Commandment tablets in his left hand and reading from a scroll. The scroll might possibly represent the laws of the Jewish faith as written in the biblical books of Deuteronomy and Leviticus.

Then again, maybe not! image

Cool find all the same
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding find.... they will almost certainly keep it and reimburse your friend... frankly, I would rather have the item than the money. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Could be a "bishop" from a chess set.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    <Just judging by that picture it almost appears to be a depiction of Moses with the 10 Commandment tablets in his left hand and reading from a scroll. The scroll might possibly represent the laws of the Jewish faith as written in the biblical books of Deuteronomy and Leviticus.>

thats what id have to go with,got any closer pics of it? that is a very cool findimage

im trying to see the writing on the scroll and what is in the other hand?
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Unfortunately these are the only images I have of the opject, and I too am fascinted with what is written on the scroll, and/or what is in his left hand.

dtkk, this would be one heckofa chess piece; one fit for a king.

Still no word on if the British Museum will keep this piece or not, but I'm also hedging my bets on that the Museum will keep it.
  • Options
    for the life of me i cant figure out what that is in the other hand,
  • Options
    It appears round with a hole in the center...perhaps a millstone? Wouldn't want that around my neck...Mar. 9:42
  • Options
    millstone? Wouldn't want that around my neck...Mar. 9:42

ya know,that could be,i never thought of thatimage
  • Options
    Looking at that picture a little more there is one thing that bothers me about it; mainly having to do with the antiquity.

What strikes me as odd is that gold is a very soft metal and I would think something of that size, made of solid gold and left buried in the ground for any significant amount of time would not have such sharply defined features and details.

Look at the definition on the scroll and how it gracefully rolls out at the bottom completely devoid of any nicks or cuts. The nose, mouth, beard and hair are all well defined. The right finger is so slim and yet is not bent or dulled but still pointing straight ahead and the fingers of the left hand are perfectly defined as well. I wonder how old the statue really is? Will be neat to hear what the musuem has to say.

Just my two heavily corroded clad cents worth.

• Options
    wonder how long its gonna take to know something stone?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inquiring minds want to know... any updates???? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    how long they had it? tell em well start a angry mobimage
  • Options
    Check out Chicago Ron's Video and finds.

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z126/chicagoron/

And the GOLD pendant found by Tenn Brad:
    imageimageimage

Script reads FRCO ++SMYUNC +DEI -
    http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/bradvid.htm

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    i cant get video link to work, but at least the 2 other pics show some more detail,pendant,hmmmimage
  • Options

<< <i>i cant get video link to work, but at least the 2 other pics show some more detail,pendant,hmmmimage >>

I did the DownLoad. Worked fine.

http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/videodownload/bradgoldstatue.wmv

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    ill try it, i didnt do the download, i just went to the other linkimage
  • Options
    Thanks Jerry for the added information.

Also, Rube and Ricko, I have not received word back on any update as of yet.
  • Options
    Been a while, but still no update that I know of image

I'll try to find out what's going on soon and report back image
  • Options
    any early gold crafts are usually egyptian. this might be roman. or a cheap tourist gift.
  • Options
    I have to say... that pendant looks very modern to me.