Home Metal Detecting
Options

Exciting Saturday for me

Well this Saturday was the opening of the 2008 pheasant season in Minnesota. Had some good success
for the first day. It's nice to put some food on the table for the family.
In the picture is my dog Addie and myself.
While hunting with the landowner he told me about an old stone foundation in the woods
on his property. So after a couple hours of bird hunting I pulled out the detecter and headed for
the spot he told me about. I didnt find the foundation but I knew I was close. I was picking up alot
of iron signals big and small. Then finally got a very nice coin signal.
I nelt down and swept the leaves away with my hand and beleive it or not the coin was right on the
surface of the ground. At first I thought it was a shot gun shell end then I picked it up and saw the
2 cents. I would have never imagined I'd find a 2 cent coin in my area.
When I got home I could finally make out the date on the coin. 1865.
It's a tough place to detect, but I'm going to hit it hard. Where there's one there's more.

Comments

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow davbec....great find! Where are you in Minnesota? I've lived in Pipestone and Detroit Lakes. Great state.
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭

<< <i>Wow davbec....great find! Where are you in Minnesota? I've lived in Pipestone and Detroit Lakes. Great state. >>

I live in Redwood Falls. Where do you live now?
  • Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am in Cumberland, WI. It's a lot like northern Minnesota here. I do get back to southwestern Minnesota a couple of times a year.
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Pipestone
    Sent pm
  • Options
    WOW ! That is a nice find... Perhaps the freeze/thaw effect caused the coin to surface.
  • Options
    What a good find...WTG

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking dog.Great find on the 2center.

Al
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy cow! Hunting peasants? Oh, pheasants. (Just an inside joke amongst pheasant hunters here on Long Island. A friend of mine helps run a hunting club out in Suffolk. Goes out there with his Brittanys).

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    A 2 cent piece is definitely on my wish list of dug coins. Congrats!
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Great find man and great hunting also I see. PM me if you want to get rid of those long Pheasant feathers, my wife needs a bunch of 'em. Really, I'm serious....

At least it shouldn't cost much to mail them. Just let me know what you got.

-wes
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great hunt and great find...Congratulations on both... Cheers, RickO