Home Precious Metals
Options

A quick 2008 Silver Eagle Roll question

Hello. Last week I bought 10 rolls of unsearched 2008 American Silver Eagles from a reputable dealer. I recieved them today. The only problem is the rolls did not have that piece of Mint tape across the top. There was no tape on the top of the rolls. I thought ALL rolls had that piece of tape to confirm it has been unsearched. I e-mailed the seller and he said that he personaly opened the Mint Monster Box and none of the rolls had that piece of tape. My question is has anybody else had this happen. I have bought close to 60 rolls of 2008 Silver Eagles and all the rolls had that piece of tape. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Not that I am saying you were hoodwinked, but what exactly would you be searching for in a bullion roll?

I have bought just a few. But they all had the tape across the top.
  • Options
    Well I think they would look for that rare reverse with the 2007 reverse. I think they would also search for those perfect coins that would grade high.
  • Options
    Only the "W" unc. Eagles had the error.
  • Options
    I've never seen any, including fresh monster boxes, that didn't have the tape.

Gold Eagles also have the tape. I split a monster box of those a couple of years ago.

The mint does that to keep the rolls sealed tightly in shipment.

The seller searched them first, bet on it.

Look to see if there is any sticky residue. Of course he could have used alcohol to wipe them clean.

Find just one roll with residue or discolorization and you've nailed him.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options

<< <i>Only the "W" unc. Eagles had the error. >>

OK. Well that makes me feel a bit better. So than the only reason to search these rolls is for the perfect condition coin. thanks
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Most of the rolls I've brought from dealers (unsearched) had the tape broken. They claim they open them to inspect them for damage before sending them out. It's bullion IMO and it would be a real chore to go though boxes to cherry pick 70's in volume even if you had a chance. Mine were all great and I wouldn't worry about it. JMO
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Most of the rolls I've brought from dealers (unsearched) had the tape broken. They claim they open them to inspect them for damage before sending them out. It's bullion IMO and it would be a real chore to go though boxes to cherry pick 70's in volume even if you had a chance. Mine were all great and I wouldn't worry about it. JMO >>

I agree!

I just received 2 without the tape and it appears there was tape at one time. The coins look very nice. I checked the PCGS pops for the 2008's and only 3% made the 70 grade.
    Tough searching for 70's in my opinion.

Joe
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hello. Last week I bought 10 rolls of unsearched 2008 American Silver Eagles from a reputable dealer. I recieved them today. The only problem is the rolls did not have that piece of Mint tape across the top. There was no tape on the top of the rolls. I thought ALL rolls had that piece of tape to confirm it has been unsearched. I e-mailed the seller and he said that he personaly opened the Mint Monster Box and none of the rolls had that piece of tape. My question is has anybody else had this happen. I have bought close to 60 rolls of 2008 Silver Eagles and all the rolls had that piece of tape. Thanks >>

We have opened dozens of monster boxes of silver eagles over the years, and there is no such thing as "Mint tape" on the rolls.

Many dealers tape rolls prior to shipping, but the Mint does not do so. The monster boxes are designed to hold the rolls closed in transit.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>We have opened dozens of monster boxes of silver eagles over the years, and there is no such thing as "Mint tape" on the rolls.

Many dealers tape rolls prior to shipping, but the Mint does not do so. The monster boxes are designed to hold the rolls closed in transit.

TD >>

That's very interesting.

I've opened monster boxes from the mint and all had the tape.

Always the same type of tape as well.

I doubt dealers all have the exact same type of tape on hand.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
  • Options
    BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭

Had to chime in...

My mint tubes all had tape, too! I know the dealer did not
    put it there. From a couple different dealers, too...same tape!

Just heard from another dealer...someone whom I trust more..

NO TAPE from the US Mint! The tubes are packed so tightly that
    they couldn't tape 'em if they wanted to. I believe that tape is
    after market, now...

Whew!image
  • Options
    I agree with the above post thats its just bullion. I am not concerned about them being searched or not. Its my customers that pre ordered these rolls from me when I sold them as UNSEARCHED ROLLS. Some customers are tuff to deal with. I guarantee that I will be getting an e-mail from at least 1 customer wanting a refund because they were not sealed.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, nobody has found the 2007 Reverse in any of the regular bullion coins, correct?

Just wanting to be sure.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭
    I have opened several monster boxes and there is absolutely no tape.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>We have opened dozens of monster boxes of silver eagles over the years, and there is no such thing as "Mint tape" on the rolls.

TD >>

That's very interesting.

I doubt dealers all have the exact same type of tape on hand. >>

You're not talking about the filiment straps that go around the outside of the green box, are you?
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

No tape!!!

There is no need for tape, the inner "lid" in the monster box precludes the need for tape.

Original, lead-sealed, monster boxes do not have tape on the individual roll tubes.
    And I ain't lying this time.
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

I used to buy unsearched rolls from a reputable dealer. They said they didn't have time to search their thousands of coins they ship.

Years later, someone here posted a link to an ebay auction for an ASE error. Same dealer! The auction text said they had searched thousands of ASE's and never found one with this particular error.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

TD >>

That's very interesting.

I doubt dealers all have the exact same type of tape on hand. >>

You're not talking about the filiment straps that go around the outside of the green box, are you?
    TD >>

No, not at all. I am familiar with the straps. I'm talking about the white tape over the top of each roll end cap.

You guys got me thinking and I called my fav shop's owner.

He told me that he has opend monster boxes hundreds of times and indeed, some of them had the rolls taped.

Most were not taped, but he had seen a fair number of them that were. He really had no explanation as to why some had it and most didn't.

I reminded him of the red monster I opened in his shop and he remembered they were all taped on that one.

He just chalked it off to the Mint which often does odd things with no rhyme nor reason.
  • Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I used to buy unsearched rolls from a reputable dealer. They said they didn't have time to search their thousands of coins they ship.

Years later, someone here posted a link to an ebay auction for an ASE error. Same dealer! The auction text said they had searched thousands of ASE's and never found one with this particular error. >>

Your complaint holds VERY little merit. For example we have sold tens of thousands of silver eagles in rolls unsearched. We have also sold several tens of thousands of singles, five pieces at a time, ten pieces etc. I could honestly say that we don't search our silver eagles because most of the times we sell it roll it comes right out of a monster box. I can also say that I have searched through thousands of pieces because we have sold thousands of individual coins which required us to bust open rolls where you can see errors. Saying that you were being potentially cheated is very shortsighted.
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    No complaint. Just facts. That's what happened.