Home U.S. Coin Forum

BIG Grade Bumps on ANA Auction Coins

RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
Somebody did quite well with their crack-outs from the ANA Heritage auction. Check out these coins now in the Heritage October Dallas sale. Could somebody link for me please.

ANA Lot vs. Dallas Lot

Lot 169 to 640: 1875 Proof Twenty Cent Piece, from PCGS 65 Cameo to NGC 67* Cameo. That's a 2 point bump and a * to boot! The coin was properly graded at 65Cameo, far too many hairlines and swipes on the reverse for even a remote chance at 67. The star is well deserved, a gorgeous coin.

Lot 232 to 669: 1860 Proof Seated Quarter, from old green holder PCGS 64 to NGC 66. Another 2 point bump! I grade the coin a 65-, and is a classic case of an older graded coin deserving a bump. A 66??? Don't think so, again quite a few hairlines on the right obverse field.

Lot 253 to 680: 1885 Proof Seated Quarter, from PCGS 65 Cameo to NGC 68* Cameo. Unfrickenbelievable, 3 points and a *!!! Another drop dead gorgeous coin that I grade 66- Cameo. A 68??? Not a chance! Hey NGC, can you say h-a-i-r-l-i-n-e-s !!!

I never paid much attention to grades on NGC slabs, this just confirms it for me even more. Interesting to see a bunch of big grade bumps like this, haven't seen it for a while. Wonder if something more is up.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.

Comments

• dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I never paid much attention to grades on NGC slabs, this just confirms it for me even more. >>

Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Were the coins worked on or do they look the same as in the first auction?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Were the coins worked on or do they look the same as in the first auction? >>

Same. Nice beautiful original toning.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭
    Post of pics?
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    NGC grades to a different standard on the top end. This shouldn't be a surprise.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • I would have put them in a different auction. I mean, you can always check Heritage any, but this makes it too easy to notice.

merse

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the little I've seen, coins that haven't been re-graded in awhile that have attractive toning are getting bumped up a point, and surface chatter or hairlines -- which imo often precludes a coin from getting into a 6 holder -- is being ignored. In some series of coins, NGC is 1/2 point looser than PCGS.

Regardless of the above, imo, if a classic coin is in an 8 holder, it's more likely than not overgraded.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • VamGuyVamGuy Posts: 1,624
    NGC often grades coins based on the submitter of the coin, rather than the condition of the coin.
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    NGC often grades coins based on the submitter of the coin, rather than the condition of the coin.

NAH! You that that would never happen! ! ! image

Say it ain't so Joe. image

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>NGC often grades coins based on the submitter of the coin, rather than the condition of the coin. >>

Got any proof for this wild accusation?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    Hey, can I please get a glass of Kool-Aid? image

... I have seen it go both ways, with overgraded NGC coins and overgraded PCGS coins. Another great example of buy the coin, not the slab image
    "It is what it is."
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    if these were crossed from ngc to pcgs with these results..this would be news i guess

i'm not alone in belief pcgs is conservative moreso then ngc
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Did you grade them in hand?

• << <i>NGC often grades coins based on the submitter of the coin, rather than the condition of the coin. >>

IMO only in very specific examples, not generally.
  • fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭
    when it comes to half eagles ngc has always been a joke to me in 95% of cases. they inflate grades to keep submissions coming in the
    areas i have interest in.

now watch people accuse me of drinking koolaid and explain why
    they are fair and correct.

constant grade inflation has been a constant theme of ALL tpgs.
    some more then others. cough.

• << <i>when it comes to half eagles ngc has always been a joke to me in 95% of cases. they inflate grades to keep submissions coming in the
    areas i have interest in.

now watch people accuse me of drinking koolaid and explain why
    they are fair and correct.

constant grade inflation has been a constant theme of ALL tpgs.
    some more then others. cough. >>

Maybe PCGS is just too strict? I'm not trying to make a statement here---just looking at the other side of the equation.
  • PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    ...........another example of the pitiful company called NGC
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey, can I please get a glass of Kool-Aid? image

... I have seen it go both ways, with overgraded NGC coins and overgraded PCGS coins. Another great example of buy the coin, not the slab image >>

I agree, some of you just don't play fair here. Very recently I've had a few coins drop 2-3 grades going from PCGS to NGC. I've also had some upgrades too though, usually they balance out if I'm lucky.

That said, I appreciate the OP for this info, very good observations and it'll be interesting to see the bidding on these. Wonder what else the buyer purchased that didn't upgrade or may have even downgraded at NGC???

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    stinks...they should keep it strict
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I graded these coins in hand, very carefully. I bid on them all as well, so it is fair game if anybody wants to accuse me of sour grapes. But I expected them to get some bumps in grade, and these were some gorgeous coins, so I bid accordingly (high). Sorry, it's not KoodAid to state that NGC consistently grades coins like this about 1/2 point or more higher than PCGS. That fact is fairly well established. What really set me back were the 2 and 3 point bumps. That's highly unusual.
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they graded consistently, they'd be looking at Ikes and other moderns all day.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file