Home Metal Detecting

Primo untouched MD area, 1 hour north of NYC, who wants it?

Hey all:

I lurk around the boards quite a bit, but this time I think I have something interesting to contribute.

So where to start the story? I was born and rasied around 1 hour north of New York City in Brewster, NY. I remember from when I was a kid spending considerable time at the local Elks Club. For thos not familiar the Elks, Benevolent Protective Order of the Elk (B.P.O.E.) is a fraternal organization, full of Grand High Exhaulted Mystic Rulers and the like. Anyway, my father was a New York City cop and he was heavily involved with the Elks. A recent trip back to NYC for the closing weekend at Yankee Stadium got me thinking again. I will tell you what I remember about this club;

It was probably the social and party hub for the town when I grew up in the '60's ( I was born in 1961) There were constant major drunken affairs outside in the yard. There never seemed to be an end to the drunken '60's style drinkfests (major coin spillage)

Also, there is an pool that is pictured in the satellite photo, exactly as it looked when it was built sometime in the early '60's. It was a very, very active pool when I was a kid with little kids running around with candy and soda coins in their hands, I can't imagine how much coinage that was in typical circulation back in the '60's was dropped along the pool area.

Next is the building itself. I can only take a guess at the age of the building, it is a huge Colonial with columns in the front and I will guess it dates back to the turn of the century.

Next comes maybe the most interesting. When I was a youngster, I will guess around 8-10 years old I buried a "treasure chest" at the Elks club. I cannot recall exactly what I put in it, but I was a coin collector at the time and had a sense of what "treasure" was. I remember burying it in a cigar box at the base of a huge pine tree (now gone) but I can spot the area to within a 60-foot diameter circle (approximately of course) I will guess that this box contained some number of indian heads and buffalo nickels, maybe a few silver quarters, halfs and dollars, I really just don't recall.

So that it is in a nutshell, On a Sunday a few weeks ago (closing day at the stadium) my brother and friend went up there with a crappy MD and made a quick sweep of the area looking for my "treasure chest" but came up empty

They of course asked permission first and were told "yes, yes, of course, help yourself, just don't leave any holes" This is from an old timer that told them to the best of his knowledge NOBODY has ever gone through there with an MD. So the club appears very friendly and agreeable to the idea. And it appears to be completely unsearched.

Could be a silver mine, could be a bust, but I doubt it.

So if anyone wants to go for it, what I will ask in return is that if my little treasure chest is located it be returned to me. And maybe a small split on the booty if you think the tip was worth it.

Where to find it:

Brewster Elks
1430 Route 22 + Milltown Road
Brewster, NY 10509

845 279 3261

I will try to insert some pictures and links;

Black and white of the front of the lodge house:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3182/2916695635_989d83cc90_o.jpg

Satellite overhead:

(1) where my treasure chest is buried
(2) the "main party area"
(3) pool area

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2361/2916346080_749204c8a6_o.jpg

(hope the links work, I can't post pictures)

There you go, I hope someone in the tri-state area can run with this, I am interested to know. The only other thing I would ask is if anyone locates this site they put up a good post complete with pictures of what was found

I will check back often, but I you want contact me at jacksongto@aol.com

Peace and good luck to whoever!!

Jim

lodge house
Satellite overhead

Comments

• BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    I would love to...that's not far from me at all...Unfortunatly my back is too bad to do any digging image Good luck to whoever does it!
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps in the spring... I will be relocating to NYS shortly.. will keep it in mind. Cheers, RickO
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are the pictures.

Wouldn't that be cool, to track down a forum member's buried childhood treasure?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • hey im down the road in stamford ct and with my new f2 maybe ill take a ride up when the snow clears.
  • I hope you find the buried treasure chest. That would be so cool. I buried some coins at my grandmothers back in the 1970's. I've looked for them but never found them. I buried them in an old tin snuff can and I don't think anything was old. Just common coins of the era. If no ones found it by now I'm sure the old snuff can has rotted away. I once found seven wheaties in a fishing hook box buried in a yard close to the home I grew up in. That's as close to intentionally buried treasure as I have come.
    el Tesoro Cazador
    Digging trash and treasure since 1977
    Well, I think this would make an excellent spring treasure hunt... maybe a group of us could get together and hunt for it. Cheers, RickO
  • Hey Rick

Excellent idea!!! Get a small party of MD'ers and turn the place over, Dave I am sure you'r in, right?. I would defintely fly up for that, I'll serve as the guide/consultant as I don't swing an MD very well. I'll grease the skids with the Elk's Club, they were very accomodating the day my brother was there and with my story and history on the place I don't think we will have a problem getting the green light and advance OK.

So I'll bring this thread back up in March some time. I think late April to early May would be about the best time, any thoughts?

I'll keep in touch

thanks for the bump Rob!!

Jim

• IM IN>>>>>>>>>>.just let me know the date,time &place...allso can lineup some hot spots in my area...hey rick you aint here yet...lol
  • I used to live not too far from Brewster, moved away to a great place in 1980. My friends and I would go to NY state to drink a little when the age was 18. I barely looked 15 and they never asked for an ID. Good luck to anyone detecting there
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Keep us informed - I'm a bit far, however, if the timing is right I'd like to try to make it.
    -Joe

-Weinman Fan
  • I'd love to go but it's to far for me to travel. I'll just have to read about all the goodies they find.
    el Tesoro Cazador
    Digging trash and treasure since 1977
    Looks like we are building a crew.... could be fun.... Cheers, RickO
  • dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    I can go there when it get swarm.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    i'm a couple hours away,let's see if we can get this off the ground. (bad pun)image
    figglehorn
  • Thanks for everyone's interest, this could be a pretty cool deal and a lot of fun. By the way The Elk's being a "Club" has a bar and some pretty cheap drinks.

I think for long range planning the weekend of 25-26 April would be good with 2-3 May being a backup, let me know any thoughts. We should start taking a serious look on the plans around March or so.

Also, I'll see what else I can remember and dig up (nyuck, nyuck) in Brewster. The first one comes to mind is the old ball field where I played Little League Baseball back in the 60's. The field is still there, looks like a park with a big dirt spot in the middle from the satellite
  • Something worth noting in the overhead shot of the pool area.

Grass, grass in the 60's, grass now, nice and stable, no sand getting shifted around, groomed, buried, dug up, re-buried
  • i live 10 minutes away, just over the state line in ct. i don`t have a detector but have thought of getting one because the house i live in was built in 1886 and i know the property has never been searched. there has to be some old coins and relics here. if you do a search in brewster message me and i`ll join you guys.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • yep sounds like a md convention..here in stamford we have 3 beaches, a park with waterfalls that was a old mill in 1800,s and fort stamford that was torched by the british army.between here and brewster is poundridge ny full of camping grounds and reservations.and alot of historic lots now empty.and were a hour and a half from mohegan sun.i like to gamble to.lol