Home Metal Detecting
Options

What do you do with your commom clad?

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've saved every coin I've found except for sharpnal Zincolns, and now have about $14.00. I'm about at the point where I can buy a decent silver coin to replace the ugly pile of coins I've accumulated. Do you guys buy anything special with your clad or do you just spend it as pocket change?

I was thinking to spend my clad at the end of each year.
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I usually buy lunch with my finds. When the waitress complains, I just pull her tip from the pile! image
  • Options
    coffee and parking meters....no more cigarettes....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i have been saving it and writing down the results in a journal.
    i really dislike the fact it just sits there. it will probably be spent in
    the future.

the silver quarter on the other hand is a long term keeper. my only silver :-(
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    I save mine up all year and then tumble them during the winter. They get rolled and deposited in the bank.
  • Options
    We roll the coins and bank them. Then put into the gas tank... LOL

We take out the toasted cents and knock off the crud. If it looks like a cent..it goes to the bank.

I get $25.00 to $50.00 a month in clad. It does help the gas bill ;-)

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    Didn't I see you throwing away coins of less than 25 cents?
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I save the wheaties and spend the zincolns... silver is saved... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Didn't I see you throwing away coins of less than 25 cents? >>

Yes, you did. image I was such a noob.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have saved every coin that I have found since the fall of 1995. I'm still thinking about that something special to purchase. It bugs my kids that I still have all that change. I just tell them that maybe it will be theirs someday.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually save the grubby clad for vending machine use. Vending machines don't complain.

Nice-n'-shiny or dirty-n'-crusty- it all tastes the same to a vending machine.

PS- you don't even have to buy anything, sometimes. Just put a dirty coin in the machine, and hit the coin return- it'll give you another. At least this is true with certain kinds of machines.

You can even "treasure hunt" this way. (If you're really bored and have too much time on your hands, that is).

On one slow night at a previous job, I was in the employee cafeteria at work and kept cycling a nickel through the machine to see how long it took to get an old one. I eventually ended up with one from the late 1950s.

Once (without even trying) I got a nice 1937-D Buffalo nickel out of a Pepsi machine change slot. But that was a fluke.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.