Home Metal Detecting
Options

Look at this eyeball find!!!

ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
Today, I was out taking pictures of various farm scenes in my area and found myself chasing a red fox on one of the dirt roads between the fields. As, I was walking back from the chase, I was focusing on the road and started noticing lots of broken china and pottery, so as I often do when I start seeing broken glass I scan the ground for anything round. I have done this ever since I was a little boy. I have grown accustomed to finding lots of things that others seem to overlook. I especially am good at finding relics. Anyhow, as I was scanning each side of the road, I saw a green disc about 4 feet ahead of me on the left side of the road where the ground had eroded away due to the traffic rutting the dirt road. I knew that it was a coin as soon as I saw it. My heart almost jumped out of my chest. I ran over and picked it up and had to spit on it to see what kind of coin it was(of course copper). Anyhow this is what I found..................................

That is my first large cent!! I know that it will be badly corroded and I may not know what the date is, but I found it and that made my year!!!

I have it in olive oil now and it may go into the tater next.image

Dan

Comments

• Options
    keep eatin those carrots!...nice find...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Orman sweet eyeball find!!

• Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Is it April 1st.
    You gotta be kidding!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.... That is very cool.... let us know how the oil treatment works... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Orman which one is it?? A liberty Cap Cent or a Draped Bust Cent?

I was looking at my coin book to see what it was and that was the only 2
    I could see that would match from what detail's I can pick out.

HH,Tom
  • Options
    It is the draped bust. I am thinking that it is the 1802, considering that it has the highest mintage. I hope that it has a date once cleaned, but I kinda doubt it. It is highly corroded. -Dan
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

NICE FIND!

Looks like it's an '02 from here.

-wes
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    That is one sweet eyeball find!!! Be sure to enter that in October's polls. image
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    I just realized that I didn't even take a picture of this coin as it lay on the ground!!! What?!!! You guys are great about taking pics as you find them and I had my camera ready!! image I really was not thinking of anything, but getting home and checking out what I had just found. Maybe next time. I will go to this place again after a big rain and search again. I am sure that detecting would not be allowed or I would ask.

On another note, I have just purchased a rental house in Ewing, NJ which was originally built in the late 1700's and added onto in the mid 1800's. I look forward to putting the coil to the soil as soon as we start building the new units. I will be out there during the dirt work that has to be done. I am sure we will go down many feet, and hope to actually find a cellar hole. I will keep you posted. I will post a pic soon and hopefully you guys can give me some pointers on where to start searching. -Dan
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>hopefully you guys can give me some pointers on where to start searching >>

Crikeys, it doesn't look like you need much help there, Mister Eagle-eyes. Geez! image

Maybe you can give US some pointers!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    goossengoossen Posts: 492 ✭✭
    what a find! congrats! image

I would like to see the "after" olive oil...
    My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    it looks like 1802 to me. Nice find.
  • Options

<< <i>I ran over and picked it up and had to spit on it to see what kind of coin it was(of course copper). >>

Harshly cleaned ...
    imageimage
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    great find, and great story to read!
  • Options

<< <i>Harshly cleaned ... >>

image you forgot to add the winkie-face. image

That's about as UNcleaned as they come- fresh n' crusty, straight from Mother Earth!

• Options
    Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭