Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Values in Krause-LOW?

Hello i found This auction for a 1942 Russian 10 kopek coin and thought the final bid price was rather high. $356. This coin lists $40 in my 2007 Standard cataloge of world coins in Xf condition and $75 in BU. Are these that rare? Why is the Krause price so low? I can generally buy Russians coins at 1/4-1/2 Krause or less. You can bet i will be looking for this one at shows. I have been watching some russian auctions lately and the prices for coins in the 1930-1940's era seem to trump Krause valuation by far in most instances. Any thoughts or comments welcomed. Thanks, image Bob

Comments

• Options
    I just follow pandas, but a great number of them are SUPER low in Krause. One of the biggest is the 1995 silver proof 1oz. Krause lists as $40....real world sales are $500+. There are MANY more examples.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can generally buy Russians coins at 1/4-1/2 Krause or less. >>

Russian is currently one of the "hot" countries. It generally applies to pre-USSR coinage, but even that series is starting to see some significant price lift for the conditional rarities. A good investment would be to start looking at USSR mint sets and be ready for the time when people start paying crazy money for MS65+ coins (which is coming in relatively short time). I can see a challenge finding high grade early USSR circ. coinage, as well.