Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any and all photo help with this proof 1876 would be great. Shootin for perfection, New images first

Really bangin my head against the wall on this one. image

So I went for the potatoe salad container but it was looking pretty nasty, will try that angle later on a stronger stomach. image

New pics;

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    back the lights away.....
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Try a lampshade.......image
    Becky
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back the lights away.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try using a piece of matte black card stock or black velvet(NOT the whiskey image ) directly under the medal, and lower the angle of the lights.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    wow pretty cool! good pic. What is it????
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Put a milk jug with the top and bottom cut off around it and shine the lights in through the sides with the lens pointing through.
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Put a milk jug with the top and bottom cut off around it and shine the lights in through the sides with the lens pointing through. >>

Tried that. image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    overloading the detector with the reflection. Need to back off the lights a little. A more diffused light may alos help (milk carton/lampshade).
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options

<< <i>wow pretty cool! good pic. What is it???? >>

1876 International Exposition Danish Medal.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aim the lights up at a piece of white paper or get a white styrofoam deli container and cut a hole in the bottom and light up the container. You may need to eat some potato salad or cole slaw first. Don't get anything with a tomato-based sauce, as it will leave an orange cast in the lights. If you have a dSLR and can process camera raw images, you will benefit greatly by underexposing so that your histogram is empty up top, then add some fill light in raw processing, which will move the darker pixels lighter or adjust the curves to do more or less the same thing. You really don't need to have a really high contrast picture, otherwise it will assault the eyes and you won't be able to appreciate the details as much.

Shiny, high-relief medals can indeed be quite challenging. This one took a while, and I think I used reflected light.

• Options
    Bump for new pics critique. However ya spell it.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    awesome piece...and is that an original box the medal is sitting in? You know that you suck, don't you?
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Improving. I see a little more detail in the shadowy areas on both sides. Still too much contrast on the side with the ladies, though. The other side now shows the appearance of the field quite well. Lighten up the heavy shadows just a little by adding some more soft light at 4:00 and I think you'll have a keeper of that side. Note the differences in the outer sides of the torsos of the cherubs. You want the cherub on the right to have more the appeaance of the one on the left.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    digi-pic seems really bright, but looks like a very kool piece!

K S
  • Options

<< <i>awesome piece...and is that an original box the medal is sitting in? You know that you suck, don't you? >>

Box is in bad shape but all there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file