Home Metal Detecting

Another first for me

The month of Sept was relatively slow for me--I only managed to get out about 5 or 6 times and didn't find any silver until yesterday. I managed to find another first for me--a Benjamin Franklin 50C piece--1951S. At first I thought it was a section of copper tubing--I've been finding alot of that in this area I've been detecting. Needless to say, once I saw the silvery circular disk, I was pumped. I was hoping for another Walker, but out popped that beautiful Benjamin. Well, it's not real pretty, but I'll take one of these anyday. I quietly put it in my pocket and kept on digging. I was still wandering around this area and managed to find a 1957D Wash quarter. 2nd silver of the day and I was pumped. Made my way back over towards my water bottle to get a drink and a great signal on the GTI 2500 produces a 1961D Rosie. Wow, could it get any better, I thought? Once again, I slid this silver into my pocket and got a drink of water. I still had about 20 minutes or so of detecting before I had to head to the house and was feeling very very good about my day. I moved along to another area about 15 to 20 feet away from the water bottle and I got another SOLID 50C signal on the 2500. I went over that target 4 or 5 different times expecting it to jump around. It never jumped--locked solid on that 50C reading at 3 inches depth. I carefully dug a nice plug and 3 inches down, BAM--another Benji--this one a 1952D. I looked down at my watch and noticed I still had about 10 minutes or so left. I searched all around the hole and not another signal. I decided at that time, pack it up and head home. How better to head home than to dig a silver as your last coin of the day?

A four silver day for me and two Benji's. These are my second and third halves ever (all this year) and I'm loving digging these coins. One of these days, I'll find an area that produces some OLD finds and hopefully come up with that Barber or seated half---Oh, I can't wait image

Thanks for looking and HH!!!

Speer34

imageimageimage

Comments

• kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a dream day of metal detecting to me- 2 silver halves! and more, congrads, I would definately continue to work that area hard!image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW, that's awesome.

I've only found one Frankie so far- a 1952-P.

And only six silver halves, total.

You getting two in one day tells me something... you have yourself a hotspot!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Man nice going on the 2 half's!!

HH,Tom
  • hot dog! thats awesome...i'd love to find a ben, either one...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.. now that was a nice hunt.... congratulations... Cheers, RickO
  • Thanks all. Yes, I was very pumped up about that hunt. These all came from the same "hotspot" that I started on last December. There is a housing area here on base that they tore down alot of houses on. I was able to get in there for a while before they started tearing them down in the first part of the year. They finally finisheed the demolition and they took the fence down from around the area. Once they cleared all out, I was able to get back in there and continue to hit that area. So far for the year, I've found 41 silver coins and 38 of them have came from that area. I still have quite a bit of that area to continue to work. Of course, when we get rain, it tends to "bring" some of the deeper coins to the top within range of the detector. All of my half dollar finds (3 total--the two Bens and one Walking Lib) have came from this area and I have even managed a dollar coin (SBA--also only $ coin found) from there as well.

HH all!!!
    Speer34

imageimageimage