Home Metal Detecting
Options

check those rings before tossing them into the junk pile.........

here's a before and after pic of a 10k band i found about a month ago.....alot of guys would have tossed this one in the junk pile....i did an acid test on it and it turned out to be a keeper despite looking like garbage....always check and make sure, you just may have a keeper....10k is only 41.7 % gold, which leaves 58.3 % filler which can over time corrode and make a keeper look like junk...hh

BEFORE CLEANING

AFTER CLEANING

"see ya at the beach"
imageimageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    You know, I just went and cleaned up the ring I found today, after scraping some concrete off and a polish with dip, I found that right were it split apart it was marked 10K ! - the stamping looks to have weakened the ring at that point Thanks for the tip, I can still see alot of copper color breaking through the center and around the edges however.
  • Options
    That was great to see after the cleaning. It's always nice to find a little gold, huh? image

Congrats!!!

It seems like every ring I find is either junk or silver. I've been able to find ONE gold ring in the last 2.5 years. At least it's better than no gold rings. With that being said, I've probably found 30 or so silver rings in that same time span.
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>You know, I just went and cleaned up the ring I found today, after scraping some concrete off and a polish with dip, I found that right were it split apart it was marked 10K ! - the stamping looks to have weakened the ring at that point Thanks for the tip, I can still see alot of copper color breaking through the center and around the edges however. >>

it was your post that made me post the before and after shots....a acid test will tell ya for sure, but if you scratch it on a stone you may see that copper color turn to gold ? good luck and hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great tip.... thanks... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    Looks good. Great job and nice find!
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good point. I have some old rings that have turned brown or crusty, that have little bits of gold coloring. I never stopped to think that they might be 10K. Thanks for the reminder and the illustration. I had no idea. Fortunately I've kept all the junk rings I dug, in addition to the good ones.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PS- that was a fine cleaning and conservation job you did on the ring in the OP.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>PS- that was a fine cleaning and conservation job you did on the ring in the OP. >>

i soaked it in tarn-x for about 2 minutes, then wire brush with a brass bristle, and repeated 2 more times...piece o cake/can o corn/no problem...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    One time I found a baby signet ring which looked like heavily tarnished brass at best. It cleaned up so easily though, so I had it tested and it turned out to be 14k!