Home Sports Talk
Options

Bill James' Win Shares' lists

Bill James is a baseball guru, idolized by some, respected by most, and interesting to just about all baseball fans.

His most famous concept, is that of Win Shares, a good process with a few subjective parameters.
Even Win Shares itself, has some alternate calculations.

There are five popular verions or ways to calculate WS; Objective function, Modified objective, Wins above average, Wins above replacement, Combination/average of Wins above average and replacement

Ruth or Cobb are the all time leaders in each of the five ways. Here are the top six in each method.

O= Ruth, Wagner, Mantle, Bonds, Williams, Cobb
MO= Ruth, Bonds, Wagner, Mantle, Cobb, Williams
WAA= Cobb, Ruth, Wagner, Bonds, Speaker, Mays
WAR= Cobb, Ruth, Wagner, Speaker, Mays, Bonds
CWA= Cobb, Ruth, Wagner, Bonds, Speaker, Mays

I believe defense plays only a minor role, though it is included, also no durability is directly factored into the value as an outside item.
Regardless of any possible shortcomings, real or percieved, very interesting indeed.
My own mis-guided, poorly referenced, love-filled, no-proof opinion;

JAX= Ruth, Cobb, Mays, Williams, Wagner, Bonds

.image
This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Interesting, thanks for sharing. Your list looks good.

You lost me at 'objective function' though.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Just the term or label for the formula,

while modified objctive is merely an additional factor being involved/added into the initial calculation, which was called "objective", perhaps "standard" might be more proper a term to use....it is probably not 100% objective in the true meaning of the word.

• Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    James top 5 players of all-time: (list is up to and including 2003 I believe)

List is based on Win Shares but also includes other elements.

Ruth
    Wagner
    Mays
    Charleston
    Cobb
    Mantle (if you discount Charleston for only playing in the Negro Leagues)

• Options
    Aro,

Post the top 100 winshares list. I want to see how top heavy it is for pre war guys. You mentioned earlier that James did a good job of recognizing why stars of the WWI and 20's era had it easier to dominate. I just want to see how well he used that with his results.

Without recognizing the FACT that the stars of back then had it easier to dominate their peers(compared to the 70's/80's), we must all go on believing that there were 35 pitchers in the 1900 era that were better than Tom Seaver.
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe defense plays only a minor role, >>

Defense is where James spent the majority of his effort in devising the WinShares system and what truly separates his system from all of the others, IMO. It is true that it plays only a minor role when you are evaluating first basemen or left/right fielders because having a good vs. bad fielder at those positions has only a very minor impact on how many games a team wins, assuming that whoever you put there is a major leaguer.

But defense plays an enormous role for the other infield positions; over half of many players total Win Shares are for defense.

Hoopster, here is James' list, circa 2001.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    I can break down the top 10 by each position by first year in majors:

Position Players
    1900's 9
    1910's 2
    1920's 10
    1930's 6
    1940's 10
    1950's 10
    1960's 10
    1970's 10
    1980's 10
    1990's 3

Pitchers Top 30 of all-time

1900's 6
    1910's 1
    1920's 2
    1930's 2
    1940's 2
    1950's 5
    1960's 8
    1970's
    1980's 2
    1990's 2

That is not his over-all top 100 but rather using top 10 at each position. For over-all top 100 he included the Negro Leagues but he does not in the rankings by position.
  • Options
    Aro,

He did end up with a pretty good spread. His overall 100 is a little top heavy with pre war guys though.

He downgraded some modern guys since then too(McGwire, Bagwell), I believe.
  • Options
    Rankings in the Historical Baseball Abstract were influenced heavily by win shares, but James did changes things around when he felt it was necessary. There was also a lot of subjectivity about how to weigh peak value, how to give credit for war years and such. A list of top 100 win shares without any adjustments would be interesting. Does the follow up book with the not-so-subtle title have any?
    Tom
  • Options
    Here is how James reached his rankings.

1. The players career Win Share total.
    2. The player's average win shares in his three best seasons
    3. The player's average win shares in his five best consecutive seasons
    4. The player's career Win Shares per 162 games
    5. An "era adjustment" based on the player's year of birth
    6. A subjective component, intended to enable us to deal with factors not accurately reflected in the statistics

For the subjective element:
    1. Statistically undocumented portions of a player's career - in other words when Ted Williams misses seasons due to the war in his prime that must be factored in. If a player suffers a career ending injury it is not factored in.

2. Inequalities in the calibre of competition. war years, expansion years etc.

3. World Series Performance - it is small but it enhances the value of Reggie or Eddie Collins

4. Leadership or Disruptive Behaviour

5. Clutch Performance - before this point gets misinterpreted the examples he uses are Drysdale 0-13 in pennant race games against the Dodgers top opponent. He pitched poorly most of the time in these games. He does say it is random and not a character flaw but it should be given some wait - just like Bob Gibson on the other end of the spectrum who has an impeccible record in big games including World Series - 7-2 1.89 e.r.a 81 innings 92 K's + two homers.

6. Special contributions of the player undefined by statistics - Jackie Robinson

7. Defensive value beyond that accounted for in the win shares system.

hoopster - To quote James - "If I didn't introduce a small time-line adjustment I'd have 75 or 85 players from the first half of the century in the top 100. I just don't believe that's right or logical."

• Options
    Is there a list that ranks players based on win shares and nothing else?
    Tom
  • Options
    This is the list of WS>400 through 2001:

Ruth 756
    Cobb 722
    Aaron 643
    W. Mays 642
    Speaker 630
    Musial 604
    H. Wagner 598
    Collins 574
    Mantle 565
    W. Johnson 560
    T. Williams 555
    Rose 547
    Henderson 530
    Ott 528
    Ba. Bonds 523
    F. Robinson 519
    Morgan 512
    Hornsby 502
    Gehrig 489
    Yaz 488
    Alexander 476
    Schmidt 467
    Mathews 450
    R. Jackson 444
    Kaline 443
    Crawford 442
    Murray 437
    Foxx 435
    Brett 432
    Ripken 427
    Mathewson 426
    Lajoie 425
    Yount 423
    P. Waner 423
    Winfield 415
    Molitor 414
    Spahn 412
    McCovey 408

This is essentially how James would rank players on "career value", but James weights "peak value " more in his list. And you really have to do that to have a meaningful list, otherwise Rusty Staub ranks higher than Johnny Bench and Rabbit Maranville ranks higher than Joe Jackson.

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what win shares are, but are they as indicative as OPS+ and Adjusted Batting Runs???

400 or above WS seem to be all HOF except Rose. I wonder where sheffield fits in with the all-time greats.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    Win Shares and/or Bill James, are one of many respected rankings available.

A few quick alternates;

SABR
    1 Ruth, 2 Gehrig, 3 T Williams
    BB Evolutuion
    1 Ruth, 2 Cobb, 3 T Willaims
    Sporting News
    1 Ruth, 2 Mays, 3 Cobb

There are plenty of others, all based on factors which are often subjective, and vary in the amount of importance given to each component used in them.
    It is quite difficult to quantify a ballplayer's overall quality, with perfect or exact results, however, most of us will enjoy ranking systems more, if they are similar to our own opinions, on what factors are most significant.

• Options
    The TSN ranking is nothing more than a subjective poll of the TSN writers and I don't know if it really counts as "respected". I don't respect it much, anyway.

400 Win Shares does pretty much guarantee that a player is a HOFer. 300-400 and it starts getting a little gray, but if you want a good start on a list of people who ought ot be in line to the HOF ahead of Jim Rice, it's a good start:

Gwynn 398
    Boggs 394
    Grove 391
    Seaver 388
    DiMaggio 387
    Raines 387
    Carew 384
    Gehringer 383
    Wheat 380
    Appling 378
    Clemente 377
    P. Niekro 375
    Berra 375
    A. Simmons 375
    B. Williams 374
    Killebrew 371
    Stargell 369
    G. Perry 367
    Carlton 367
    Fisk 367
    Frisch 366
    Da. Evans 364
    Plank 361
    Staub 357
    B Robinson 356
    Vaughan 356
    Heilmann 356
    Bench 355
    Goslin 355
    Magee 354
    Snider 352
    Clemens 352
    Whitaker 351
    Carey 351
    Brock 349
    Perez 346
    Dw. Evans 346
    Sandberg 346
    Alomar 345
    McGwire 342
    Biggio 342
    Dawson 341
    Allen 340
    Blyleven 339
    Roberts 339
    G. Carter 338
    Mize 337
    Ryan 334
    Palmeiro 334
    Banks 333
    Cronin 333
    W. Clark 331
    Grich 329
    Ashburn 329
    Parker 326
    Hartnett 326
    S. Rice 326
    Reg. Smith 325
    O. Smith 325
    Santo 324
    Jenkins 323
    Slaughter 323
    Ruffing 322
    Nettles 321
    W. Davis 321
    Pinson 321
    Hooper 321
    Larkin 320
    Sutton 318
    Trammell 318
    Bagwell 318
    B. Gibson 317
    Maddux 317
    J. Clark 316
    Hack 316
    McGriff 316
    Cash 315
    Reese 315
    Rixey 315
    Leach 315
    T. Simmons 314
    Dickey 314
    Roush 314
    Griffey jr. 313
    Palmer 312
    Torre 312
    Medwick 312
    Lyons 312
    Hernandez 311
    Cepeda 310
    Cruz 309
    E. Wynn 309
    Thomas 308
    J. Wynn 307
    Randolph 307
    Baines 306
    Hubbell 305
    Oliver 304
    Fox 304
    Sheckard 303
    Young 303
    Bo. Bonds 302
    Singleton 302
    Maranville 302
    B. Bell 301
    HR Baker 301
    Eckersley 300
  • Options
    As I said, any list may be used, or not used, to suit one's particular opinions.

The list(s) you have posted "proves", via the opinions of stat importance and factors actually chosen as evaluators,

That, Paul Waner was a better baseball player than;
    McCovey, DiMaggio, Gwynn, Clemente, Al Simmons, or Killebrew among others, not including pitchers like Spahn, Grove, or Plank.

In my view, that would lessen the quality of using it to somehow discredit Jim Rice's HOF worth, which seems truly an unhealthy obsession.

• Options
    Jaxxr, all the good criteria are not used to suit one's particular opinions, they are based on valid objective evidence. Stop saying that as if all that great objective work is an opinion on equal scale of the typical uninformed fan.

Dallas, my plea to you is to eliminate, IMO from your posts. Don't cater to all the people who throw around the word 'opinion' when they are trying to validate their bias or fandome. That is their knee jerk reaction when someobody comes around with better info, so instead of looking bad, they just pull the opinion card.
  • Options
    The list dallasactuary provided is not a ranking list. It is a career win shares total. It is one part of James ranking system.
  • Options
    Aro,
    Waner does have a higher numerical rate or rank of WS, than the players I mentioned.

You are quite the paradox, Hoop,

In a very recent other post, you just criticized me for the use of "facts" within.
    Now you you state not to use "opinions"

No facts, no opinions,... really could make for an intresting discusssion,

However it just my "assumption" that discussion is what most herein, are really interested in. Perhaps a forum where one might merely make a speech, where no one could or would dare to debate any part of it, might be more appropriate for some.

• Options
    Jaxxr,

That place you speak of about speech's would be a good place for DrJ to visit.

Jaxxr, I will add that your ability and knowledge of evaluation is seemingly growing day by day. A tip of the hat to you for doing some research, and using some good material.
  • Options
    Thank you for the polite response, Hoop,

I joined SABR in 1987, have known about Bill James back when he was making some radical, incorrect postulates about MLB, currently belong to about a half dozen groups who enjoy baseball research, and certainly hope I am open minded enough to learn more, and may be able to keep growing in that respect.
    It is a bit of "fun" for me to admit I just recently learned that Chuck Klien was also among the elite, who led the league in both Steals and HRs, in addition to Cobb and Mays, whom I mistakenly assumed were the only ones. I am sure I have made other mistakes, and some poor or overly biased evaluations along the way, as well.

One key thing I have grasped, is that, in life, and baseball evaluation, there are very few absolutes. The broader the question, like who is most valuable, the broader the scope of possible and reasonable evaluations. A narrow query, who hit the most HRs in MLB for 2008, has only one correct response and it is not an opinion in any sense. It is very hard to "prove" almost any rank or worth, when more than one factor is involved, although, I do find "almost all" alternate views to be interesting and perhaps research provoking.

• Options

<< <i>The list(s) you have posted "proves", via the opinions of stat importance and factors actually chosen as evaluators,

That, Paul Waner was a better baseball player than;
    McCovey, DiMaggio, Gwynn, Clemente, Al Simmons, or Killebrew among others, not including pitchers like Spahn, Grove, or Plank.

In my view, that would lessen the quality of using it to somehow discredit Jim Rice's HOF worth, which seems truly an unhealthy obsession.
    >>

aro13 addressed this a bit, but just to make it perfectly clear; you can split semantic hairs if you like and refer to the career win shares list as a ranking, but that does not mean that you can then change the meaning entirely and substitute "better", as you did here. Bill James has never, and would never, refer to Paul Waner as "better" than DiMaggio or any of the others. He ranks higher on one list; the significance of that is one part - a relatively small part - of determining who is "better".

And I did not mean to imply that Jim Rice was worse than all of those players because he ranks lower on that list, just that he happened to be worse than all of them. And obsessing about the HOF being fouled with the stench of Jim Rice is my official duty, although I appreciate your concern about my health.