Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Were the plastic 1942 Experimental Cents "struck"?

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know the metal pieces struck at the Denver Mint were struck, and I'm pretty sure the privately manufactured glass pieces were not struck by dies. But what about the plastic pieces? How were they made?

For more background and a list of the various compositions, check this out.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    You would think they were molded.
  • Options

<< <i>You would think they were molded. >>

To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would think they were molded.

I'm not sure. First, there are blank planchets known. Second, the edges of the blank planchets and of the "struck" pieces have very crisp, flat edges. (Edges, not rims.) This makes me think that the planchets were cut from a sheet and the coins pressed between the dies provided by the US Mint. But if I knew for sure how it was done, I wouldn't have asked the question.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably struck and possibly latter heat treated to harden them. Molding process wouldn't be practical when you are producing coins by the millions.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A heated press.... similar to dies, but without the striking pressure. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    According to a report by the Blue Ridge Glass Corp. preformed glass blanks were heated and struck with stainless steel dies. They recommended using dies that could be cooled using an encircling water jacket. After cooling and mechanical deburring (hence the sharp edges), the glass coins were heat treated to make them difficult to break or chip. They used Sinnock’s plagiarized Colombian obverse and wreath reverse (as illustrated in a previous post).

Plastic coins were formed much the same way, but were more acceptable as coins since they were easier to dope with metal powder, took a better impression and worked more reliably in vending machines. However, plastic was as scarce as any of the metals being considered.

Most cent and alloy experiments ended in September 1942.

The information published to date is incomplete and it is not wise to draw many conclusions from the published data.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had an example of J-2062 in hand earlier this year. I was so excited just to see it, that I forgot to ask the owner about the method of manufacture.image It was passed to him by his father who worked for Durez.

10/2 - How's this for a coincidence? The owner just came by again with a pair of these, mounted in a display. They certainly do not have the same definition as the examples struck in metals, but they are impressive! Wish I had my camera on hand image I believe these phenolic resin composition pieces may have been molded, as opposed to cast or struck. A great bit of Upstate New York history. The Durez Company of Niagara Falls was succeeded by Hooker Chemical ( of Love Canal infamy). image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file