Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I made a horrible (coin-related) mistake at the P.O. today

RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was shipping a coin to a dealer for his purchase via Express Mail , using his account. Somehow, I only had five of the six digits of the account number. As the line of people were forming behind me, knowing that I was already in trouble for being late to a holiday lunch engagement, I quickly called the dealer from the postal counter. One of his underlings answered. Feeling pressured, I blurted, "It's RYK, I need the Express Mail number to send XXXX a coin!"

On the way home, realizing the horrible mistake that I had made, I took the long way home, checking frequently in the rear view mirror. When I returned home, I informed my wife that we would have to stay at a hotel (or her mother's house) until we could sell the house and buy another one. I do not think that I am going to change my identity at this point, but are there any other precautions that I should take? image

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ???????????????????????????????????? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Well that sucks. Maybe you should tell us about it.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Must be problem solved...
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Left the address label blank?
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did ya lick the self-adhesives?
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Left the address label blank? >>

Haha!!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A postal employee was sleeping in his chair when a Genie appeared and granted him three wishes.

His first wish was that he could be on a tropical island surrounded by Palm and Coconut trees and a beautiful beach. Poof ! It was granted

His second wish was that he could have two gorgeous Costa Rican sisters. Poof ! There they were.

His third wish was that he would never have to work a day in his life again. Poof !
    There he was...
    sleepin' in that chair at the PO.

+1
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Were you holding two packages-- one was the schlock that you planned on passing off on Longacre because he buys anything, and the other package with the good stuff that you planned to keep, and you mixed up the packages?
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Were you holding two packages-- one was the schlock that you planned on passing off on Longacre because he buys anything, and the other package with the good stuff that you planned to keep, and you mixed up the packages? >>

No, I would not make a mistake that ridiculous. image
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    After reading the opening post now, the only thing I can offer for additional personal security is my very ferocious basset hound/beagle mix (so long as he can stay away during any home invasion). Or I can offer my excessively ferocious mother in law, but I would not want to put you through that. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    I am guessing you are mostly worried that your picture may have been taken and it can now be proven that you ARE Longacre's Bruce Wayne.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options

<< <i>I was shipping a coin to a dealer for his purchase via Express Mail , using his account. Somehow, I only had five of the six digits of the account number. As the line of people were forming behind me, knowing that I was already in trouble for being late to a holiday lunch engagement, I quickly called the dealer from the postal counter. One of his underlings answered. Feeling pressured, I blurted, "It's RYK, I need the Express Mail number to send XXXX a coin!"

On the way home, realizing the horrible mistake that I had made, I took the long way home, checking frequently in the rear view mirror. When I returned home, I informed my wife that we would have to stay at a hotel (or her mother's house) until we could sell the house and buy another one. I do not think that I am going to change my identity at this point, but are there any other precautions that I should take? image >>

Better call the dealer. He needs to keep a sharp lookout for this $50 coin.

Ray
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    probably no one is interested in a "coin"
    they might be interested in diamonds or cash
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "...we would have to stay at a hotel (or her mother's house) until we could sell the house and buy another one. I do not think that I am going to change my identity at this point, but are there any other precautions that I should take?"image

The edit was worth the ten minute wait, RYK.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    In the spirit of full disclosure, you will have to tell the new owners of the house that this house is now the target of countless criminals and that if they buy it, they could get bodybagged....
  • Options
    Ah... the plot thickens... after a blank post, we now have a melodramatic tragedy to deal with.... perhaps you will have to adopt an alter ego (besides Longacre), and post furiously that you are relocating to Arkansas... set up a mail drop for a few months, and then 'disappear' while on a canoeing trip. Then you can go to Costa Rica and enjoy the ministrations of some sloe-eyed twins to heal your spirit and rejuvenate your soul.... image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    And after a few months Ricko will be joining you!!
    "One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making new discoveries" -A.A. Milne
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A little bit of a Elvis complex RYK?

And we thought the paparazzi was chasing after celebs when it was our own LongRYKacre they were chasing after all alongimage

Oh ... and can I have your autograph for my wife....
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Gecko told us that the guy who brought the 1913 Lib Nickel to bars never got mugged, so you should be fine.
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    . . . are there any other precautions that I should take?

Link.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Monte... I will take Curtain number 2 ... hoping that it is someone's mother-in-law

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    This is not a laughing matter. There are many steps you need to take today without delay.

1) You need a change of name immediately. Joseph Bambrick will do.

2) You need to set up a Trust and transfer all of your assets into new accounts under that trust. Today is tuesday, so it is important that the trustee you appoint is a Libra. It is important to conduct all account closure transactions with a high shrill voice so as to protect your identity.

3) Arrange your trustee to purchase a new vehicle. It must be a white Ford Focus sedan, base model, blue interior. Have the vehicle delivered to the third floor of your local airports short term parking structure. Drive your current vehicle to the basement of the short term parking structure. Remove all license plates and grind off all VIN numbers. Remove all identifying trash or paperwork. Leave the old vehicle behind. Go into the elevator with your spare change of clothes. Change clothes. Drive your new vehicle away. Donate your previous clothes to the fourth homeless person you see. Call the authorities at the airport and notify them of a perfectly safe abandonded car in the airport parking structure. For your own safety, do this call from a pay phone 30 miles from your current home.

4) Yes, you will need a new home. But buying one is out of the question. Think about homesteading in Wyoming.

5) Pills are good.

6) There is no number six.

7) Your wife and children know too much. Fortunately there are treatments to solve this problem. See step 5.

8) Design and study a new language; it must be unique and of your own design. Teach this language to the folks you do dealings with. This should assure that your overheard conversations will not be understood. Contrary to popular beliefs, it will not end up getting you on the local news as a creator of a new language; this happens all the time and is old hat by now.

• Options
    Or you can build a one of thoes secret rooms with a rotating book case!!! That would be extremely fun to have!!
    MSgt USAF Jan-06 - Present
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Since it occured at the Post Office, look into the United States Federal Witness Protection Program

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    "And after a few months Ricko will be joining you!!"

Months hell, I will be waiting there already partaking of the tropical pleasures... image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe all of the blue hairs and grey panthers within earshot thought they heard you say GROIN instead of COIN, and they are all in mortal fear of that ghoulish merchant of body parts.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A postal employee was sleeping in his chair when a Genie appeared and granted him three wishes.

His first wish was that he could be on a tropical island surrounded by Palm and Coconut trees and a beautiful beach. Poof ! It was granted

His second wish was that he could have two gorgeous Costa Rican sisters. Poof ! There they were.

His third wish was that he would never have to work a day in his life again. Poof !
    There he was...
    sleepin' in that chair at the PO.

Anaconda's working for the Post Office now? image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    My biggest worry wouldn't be them following me home. My worry would be the coin never going any further than the plastic box they dropped it into.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless smoeone followed you how could anyone even hope to find you in a town the size of St. Louis just from the initials RYK?
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put down the John le Carré tonight and pick up QDB. Simple.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file