Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How many errors

can one hope to find in a new box of Lincoln cents? Like off center and blank planchets? How common are they to find?
"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making new discoveries" -A.A. Milne

Comments

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    chances are you wont find any......sorry to disappoint you

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    There are some common ( I am assuming common) cracked head lincoln though.

Old Thread

If you search the forums, others have found the same thing.

Good luck!
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Off Center coins usually do not roll very well and get rejected by the rolling machines.

If a certain someone knows a certain someone then they could be wholesaled and eventually make it to the collecting market.

However, the US Mint wants all "error's" of this type returned to them.

Now, it would be totally possible to find a blank cent or even a DDO since some do exist for 2006.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Thanks guys....wife moved back to midwest and left me to sell the house in Virginia....looking for something to do besides packing the house. Thought well since I'm out here and can get the Philly mint I might as well look right? And then I starting thinking that well maybe I would ask the experts who search rolls and rolls for little neat things. The blank planchets have to come from somewhere. Of course I did get one sealed from the Denver mint from a friend.
    "One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making new discoveries" -A.A. Milne
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I've been asked that question over the past
    3-4 decades, my answer is usually this:

You can go thru 1,000 Mint Sewn Bags of any denomination,
    and NOT find a single clip, off center, double strike, etc.

However, you can go thru the 1,001st bag, and find a small
    run of off centers, or broadstrikes, etc. If lucky, a few off metals
    or double strikes. It's totally random, and there is no answer to
    "how many errors will I find" - because in 98% of the time, you
    won't find any - that's why they're highly valued. (depending on
    the error type, of course)

I've dealt with numerous coin dealers and counting rooms who
    actually go thru many many many thousands of mint sewn bags;
    most errors are worth what they are worth because of how common
    or how rare that particular error happens to be, compared to the
    Billions of coins minted every year. Your odds aren't good, but it
    sure can be fun.

The people going thru Bags/Bricks/Rolls of Washington Dollars
    and Adams Dollars, depending on the geographical area they were
    in, certainly raised the percentage of "finds".....

Hope this info helps a bit.......

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    Especially if you're searching new cents, your chances are exceptionally tiny of finding anything worth value.

I've gone through a number of OBW rolls of cents from the '60s and found plenty of clips. I've also found a bunch of slightly clipped IHC.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are RickO, your chances are zero. I have searched many, many rolls etc.. and never found an error... or anything else of significant value. However, if you are NOT RickO, then you at least have a chance such as described by Fred Weinberg above. image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    I've found blank planchets and misaligned dies in the past, but they don't come easy.
  • Options
    OK bank of america only has rolled coins from third party so I took ten rolls.....two hours later I realized I paid with a $20 and got $10 back image good news is the bank is going to add the extra $5 into my account....bad news is that the tellers register came up even so that means she pocketed my $5.

Anyways no the lone 1941 penny was not worth $5

But the excitement of seeing all those 1971's', 72's, 83's, 84's was worth it. Of course I'm from the midwest and everything is from denver so it was exciting for me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file