Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Some grades just in...

illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
Dropped off a few coins at NGC at the Long Beach show last weekend under their “early bird” service. Grades just posted today. Very fast!!!

Anyways, these were a couple of the more expensive coins that I bought for my 7070 type set, cracked them out of slabs, then later had second thoughts about cracking so many coins. So, I decided to get them all back in plastic and am considering the grading fees as a little bit of numismatic “tuition” image

Here’s what I received from NGC and the previous grades for each coin:

001 1831 O-104 50C AU 55 (cracked from NGC AU58)

002 1892 50C MS 61 (cracked from PCGS MS62)
The coin is actually much prettier in hand and the reverse especially has some very nice color. Probably would do better if I had dipped it, but I don’t think I’d ever do that.
imageimage

003 1916 50C MS 62 (cracked from PCGS MS62)
Again, might have done better if I dipped it first, but I like a little originality sometimes too.
imageimage

Not entirely excited about the grades give the downgrades of 2/3. I guess it just goes to show you that you’re not guaranteed to get the coin back into the same grade it was if you play the crackout game… At least they all made it back into plastic though I guess. Maybe NGC is getting tougher too? Probably can’t really tell much from a 3 coin submission though image

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file