Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1934 Liberty Half Grades Please

I've had this coin for awhile and take a look at it from time to time. It's starting to look pretty good, but I may be looking through MS colored glasses. Any help?? I don't think I can photo the old girl much better.

Thanks,

Aggie

Comments

• Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    Agree on 64.

Is that a die gouge across the eagle's wing going into the field(right side of coin)?

S
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very hard to tell from that photo -- depends on how deep and large the marks are in the fields, and how nice the luster is. Could be anywhere from 64 to 66.
  • Options
    64. That is a cool crack through the eagle's wing tips on the reverse.

At least I think its a crack. If you look at the tail end of it it starts to move in different directions. I dont know how a gouge like that could have occured.
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    I would have to say MS64 also.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, all those saying 64 -- What makes you so sure?

Strike is superb, luster is probably all there (but hard to tell), and the image is hiding any significant marks that would drop it to a 64. I have picked coins off eBay that look like that in the auction listing and then graded 66.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what color is the coin, looks like a white balance issue

could be a 65
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ms65
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    Based on the photos, it looks like a 65.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    65,tough series for me to grade.
    Al
  • Options
    I say 63. The breaks in luster on the obverse leads me in this direction. 1934's ususally come very nice with strong luster.

Garrow
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64...
  • Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    64 is based on picture and it shows small hits on the leg, arms, chest, some in the drapery about the legs and what appears to be some field hits by the "TY" on the obverse.

V/R

S
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's hard to grade a coin from a picture, but I'd say MS-64. I'd never pay MS-65 money for a coin with the black spots by "STATES" on the reverse.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file