Home Metal Detecting
Options

Today's finds- including my oldest US large cent...Edit to add finds from today- 9/30- 1875 Indian+G

Got a call from my brother this afternoon whose doing the house addition where I posted my finds from last month (1890 British large cent etc.), they were doing the driveway grading today which involved digging down about 1 foot of soil or so more than they already had- and I made it there just in time! The backhoe operator was starting to take loads of dirt away in his dump truck, first pile I hit got a strong signal- took a scoop of soil out and out fell a large green coin- I knew by the size right away it had to be an old US large cent- picked it up with my brother looking over my shoulder (he was surprised by my quick find I think) and yep- could see the wreath and one cent! He continued to scrub at it while I hunted as quick as I could, the operator was trying to give me some room and time to hunt, but they had a schedule to keep and rain was in the forcast for rest of week after today. Here's a shot of the finds:

Found the old jackknife and lying underneath it were 4 wheats cents- oldest a 1920 (keep hoping for a silver coin to pop out of that hole!). Nearby found the two old 1940's Canadian pennies. The 1924 NYS dog license is my oldest by far, and I think the one piece is part of the old leash clasp- it was found right near the license tag. I think the square frame like piece might have been just that- part of a small picture frame or cigarette case- it had a hinged side. Also found a small broken brass button- at first thought I might have had a trime- its signal was hard to lock onto and when I finally found it in the dirt pile I had my hopes up. Think that covers everything in the photo. Tomorrow the excavator will be digging the final 4 feet of so of driveway between the sidewalk and road, will try to get there early if I can and see if I can dig up anymore goodies. I really hated to see those truckloads of dirt leave after finding that large cent. Here are some close ups:

imageimage

And the large cent after a quick fry:

imageimage

See post below for day two finds

Comments

• Options
    Nice finds ;-)

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    i'm a little jealous. very nice. i wish we could get stuff like there over here.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woohoo! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Very cool. Maybe the dirt hauling people would let you MD their yard?
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    You know, he might be onto something there, with that suggestion...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice... good connection there.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Well got back today and had a chance to cover the small strip between sidewalk and road where my brother's driveway is going, this time the dug out dirt was being taken to the neighbors yard for fill and I could work it over good and the depth was perfect - about 6 inches spread out. Didn't find as much as I had hoped for, just the small lot below:

3 Memorials, I modern Canadian and an 1875 Indian for coins plus the ring- first thought it was going to be gold but my hopes were quickly dashed as it was lite weight and split while I was cleaning it up- split to reveal a copper colored core. Now I know people were really poor in this part of the country when they couldn't even afford a 10kt wedding ring! The indian appeared to have nice details under the crud (but it had alot of mineralization from being curb side all those years and exposed to the salt from the streets:

imageimage

It was a nice way to end September for detecting, all together I found 4 indians in the month, 4 silver coins, a liberty and buffalo nickel. Some cleaned up shots of the '75:

imageimage

I'm thinking it had XF+ details when dropped. Too bad it wasn't a '77, would have made a good hole filler in my set, HH

Wait, it is Gold! Thanks to Dubba's post about checking out those old junk rings, I went back and had another look at the ring I found today, scraped some of the concrete and crust off of it and found right were it split it, it was marked 10K ! - My first gold ring!

Edited to add- It's GOLD!

• Options
    WTG!!! You have some great finds there. The pocketknife is awesome. You were hoping for some silver out of that hole, but ended up finding gold a few days later. It doesn't really matter to me much--I'd take either one of them myself. Now if we were talking about coins only, give me a gold oneimage

Congrats on some awesome finds!!!!
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    nice finds stang!...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Man, that does it.

I need to brush some of the cobwebs off the Garrett and get outside, soon!

WTG!