Home U.S. Coin Forum

1983 DDR grade question

What do you think? Should I send this in to be graded or sell as is? I am currently watching one on ebay that is dirtier and it is at $213.50 right now. Do you think this one would grade near ms65 to ms66 red. I found this while sorting for coppers and paid only 1 cent for it.
All opinions are appreciated. Thanks Kris
In the time of Chimpanzee's
I was a Monkey

Comments

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    Slab it! (Vote Number 2)
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • ok I see the trend here, this coin must reside in PCGS plastic but what grade do you think it might get?
    I was a Monkey
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    63 R&B and not better than 64 R&B beacuse of the spots, marks, etc.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Thanks but if you think it will only get a 63 and not full red I think for the money I should just sell it as is.
    I was a Monkey
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭

nice DD.

Slab it to maximize profit if you're going to sell it anyway since you don't have but a penny in it. People get all warm and fuzzy when they look at metal wrapped in plastic.

-wes
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.

• << <i>nice DD.

Slab it to maximize profit if you're going to sell it anyway since you don't have but a penny in it. People get all warm and fuzzy when they look at metal wrapped in plastic.

-wes >>

Yea me too, I luv the smell of new PCGS plastic. And the trill of getting it back in the mail, just the wait is like the feeling of christmas. Since I do plan on selling it You are right that the plastic makes the buyer feel like I am not trying to pull one over on the with a fake.
    I was a Monkey
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Another vote for a slab.

It will sell better.

Ed
  • duck620duck620 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭
    slab it.i just got my 1983 ddr graded ms-64 r/b last week.mine didn;t have the spots as yours does.your coin should grade ms-63 r/b. nice find.i also found mine in a box of cents.image
  • sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    Slab it.

S
  • thanks everyone.
    I was a Monkey
  • Great Find!!! I always love hearing about finds like this.
  • Slab it. My guess is MS60. It looks UNC, but here is a lot going on.
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Slab it . >>

Even if it ends up in a Genuine slab? Obverse looks damaged.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are generous, I was thinking 62 tops.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • phehpheh Posts: 1,588
    Slab it... I think its a 60, but get the variety on a slab and it will do fine - even as a genuine.
  • great find, and definitely get it slabbed! i'd grade it 64 at absolute best, the carbon spots will limit it below 65 unfortunately image
    For those that don't know, I am starting pharmacy school in the fall. image
  • It has been sold to a member here. I'm waiting to hear what he got it graded at if he did.
    I was a Monkey
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find.... Cheers, RickO
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...........very nice. 62 in my eyes. how many rolls did you search before you found it??image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

• << <i>...........very nice. 62 in my eyes. how many rolls did you search before you found it??image >>

lol too many rolls. they all run together in my mind. When you pull cents for coppers and also search for the errors, man I have been through thousands of rolls.
    I was a Monkey

...................image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    I bought the coin and it is on it's way back from PCGS. You guys were way undergrading this coin. It is coming back in a 65 RED holder..... image Tom
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Great find and congrats on the grade. I realize we are only looking at some pictures of the coin, and not in hand, but it looks nowhere near a 65red. A full gem and red at that seems like a stretch from the pics, but in hand it could be very different... Either way, its a cool coin and story.
    I really thought it would only grade a 4 red.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

<< <i>I bought the coin and it is on it's way back from PCGS. You guys were way under grading this coin. It is coming back in a 65 RED holder..... image Tom >>

............tom, you do realize we will need a pic to prove your claim of US under grading!!??image
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    That turned out well.

Maybe it looks nicer in hand than the pics.

Ed
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that's the case, Mine should grade 67RD easy. I'm sorry, but that should not be in a 65RD holder.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dansco 7070 has a place for coins like these.

Imagine the possibilities

• I'd slab it. Looks like a shot 65 RD. The spots might hold it at 64.
    I just got the email conf today from PCGS. It is indeed in a 5 red holder. The OP photos were lackluster. This coin has much more luster. I will get a good photo of it for you all when it comes in next week. I thought about trying to remove the spots but I didn't want to potentially damage the coin. I almost sold the coin twice but I was really interested in seeing what it would grade with PC. Obviously the spots didn't hold it back. image

<< <i>

<< <i>I bought the coin and it is on it's way back from PCGS. You guys were way under grading this coin. It is coming back in a 65 RED holder..... image Tom >>

............tom, you do realize we will need a pic to prove your claim of US under grading!!??image >>

You got it buddy image

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats
    These were not made well and that is a really nice grade in PCGS plastic.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
    Thanks JRocco... This is one beautiful coin in hand.. Gas Bubbles and all image not too bad for a couple hundered bucks... Goes to show if there is that much indifference in grading between board members it doesn't hurt to just send it in.

• Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Wow! 65 RD Thats really nice. Congrats
  • RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    63RD. Sell as is.
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now If I had sent that coin..MS 63. You lucky dog!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This type would still be awesome in a 7070. Raw is good, though you really scored with this one. Kudos.
    The problem is that it is no where near a 63. The strike on the obverse is very strong compared to most pieces. The only thing I don't like about it is the couple spots and I believe they could be removed easily but I didn't want to chance it. The reverse on nearly all 83 ddr are weak as is this one. I agree this coin should have probably graded a 4 due to the spots but I am happy with a low 5. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file