Home Sports Talk
Options

Angels versus the Red Sox series thread

Who will win this series? The Angels certainly owned the Sox this year but the playoffs are always different. I'm sure the Sox fans are worried about Mr Beckett with his strained oblique. That could be a nagging injury throughout the playoffs. Beckett is a big game pitcher and will be a factor if he doesn't pitch well. Also, the Angels won 100 games this year and will have home advantage which should be worth something.

I wouldn't be surprised if this series goes the distance, but I predict the Angels will go onto the ALCS.

Brian

Comments

• Options
    I predict 5 games. The key's for the sox are Douche K and lester. Angels are very very formidable, but with a healthy Beckett, the sox would have an advantage.
  • Options
    This will be the year the Angels get rid of their Red Sox curse. I think the Angels will win it in 4 games only because Lackey got shelled in his last outing of the regular season which I think is a bit of a concern.

Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Angels in four.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    The Angels have a lot to be optimistic about. Health concerns with Beckett, Drew, Lowell. Home field advantage. The best record in baseball. A great year against the Sox. Then again, it's playoff time, and being that both teams are both very good, it comes down to who will cowboy up. Both teams have quality pitching and quality hitting. It's going to be a great series.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Sox in 3. I simply think Boston's top 3 starters are better in every matchup with the Angels top 3. If the games get into the bullpen before the 7th - look for easy Angels victories though. Remember, Boston will be fielding its best lineup in about 4 months when they fire it up on Wednesday. I don't think they've had every healthy starting position player in a lineup at the same time since way before Manny left.
  • Options
    Sox in 4. I guess the Sox split the first two in Anaheim and win out at home.

Lackey has to be a huge concern for Angels fans. As CreeperKat said, he got shelled last time out and it was the kind of thumping that makes you think something is wrong with his health. I mean, 10 runs in 2 2/3 innings? In one game, his season's ERA went from 3.25 to 3.75. He also seems pretty streaky to me, and if this last game was any indication, his current streak is a cold one.

• Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Lackey and Santana both got lit up in their last starts. Since these are
    the Angels 1 and 2 starters, this alone should cause concern for the
    Western Div Champs. Scoscia must be sweating.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    You guys are kidding right? You think the Angels are sweating? Texas can explode on anybody at any given time. Lets look at Lackey's stats the game before last IN TEXAS........6 innings, 2 hits, 12 freaking K's....12 Freaking K's...........not loud enough?

There was nothing on the line this weekend except getting to 100 wins. and when they needed that win, they Kicked Texas 7-ZIP and only gave up 3 hits...

The Angels are rolling strong into these play-offs. Speed, power, defense, and pitching on the front and back ends.

Angels in 4
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    predictions are great, but I prefer to watch the teams play baseball and root for my team to win.
  • Options

<< <i>You guys are kidding right? You think the Angels are sweating? Texas can explode on anybody at any given time. Lets look at Lackey's stats the game before last IN TEXAS........6 innings, 2 hits, 12 freaking K's....12 Freaking K's...........not loud enough?

There was nothing on the line this weekend except getting to 100 wins. and when they needed that win, they Kicked Texas 7-ZIP and only gave up 3 hits...

The Angels are rolling strong into these play-offs. Speed, power, defense, and pitching on the front and back ends.

Angels in 4 >>

Sox fans are looking for any glimmer of Angel weakness. To me, when a quality starter gets "lit up" he usually bounces back very nicely the next time out. Unless there is injury at play. So, it is unfounded to assume that a quality starter will keep pitching poorly based on the previous one or even two starts.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No predictions from me, however...the Beckett situation could be pivotal back in Boston. If the Red Sox have to travel back to LA for game 5, I think the advantage could be on LA's side. I put ZERO faith in Paul (I only throw strikes) Byrd to be a major player.

If Daisuke, Lester and Wakefield are on their game, could be lights out in Boston IF...IF Beckett is healthy.

Enjoy the games, let's hope the breaks go our way.

BTW, I just picked up 4, 8x10 glossies of the 1916, 1918, 2004 and 2007 Red Sox WS pics. I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the photos!! $19.99 with shipping. If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll point you to the seller...I think he has 7 left. For $20, you get to see Babe Ruth in 1916 and 1918, "back in the day", among other Red Sox greats of a time long gone. Clear photos, nice addition to my wall.
  • Options

<< <i>No predictions from me, however...the Beckett situation could be pivotal back in Boston. If the Red Sox have to travel back to LA for game 5, I think the advantage could be on LA's side. I put ZERO faith in Paul (I only throw strikes) Byrd to be a major player.

If Daisuke, Lester and Wakefield are on their game, could be lights out in Boston IF...IF Beckett is healthy.

Enjoy the games, let's hope the breaks go our way.

BTW, I just picked up 4, 8x10 glossies of the 1916, 1918, 2004 and 2007 Red Sox WS pics. I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the photos!! $19.99 with shipping. If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll point you to the seller...I think he has 7 left. For $20, you get to see Babe Ruth in 1916 and 1918, "back in the day", among other Red Sox greats of a time long gone. Clear photos, nice addition to my wall. >>

with the schedule for this series, there is no need for a 4th starter. I see Byrd or Wakefield getting left off the ALDS roster to make room for another bat.
  • Options
    ANGELS ALL THE WAY------------- THE BEST TEAM IN BASEBALLimage
    Rangerman / ARMEDPILOT

B)
  • Options

<< <i>ANGELS ALL THE WAY------------- THE BEST TEAM IN BASEBALLimage >>

And also the biggest chokers in the playoffs when they play the Red Sox.

Sincerely,
    Dave Henderson & Big Papi
  • Options

<< <i>

Sincerely,
    Dave Henderson & Big Papi >>

Dave Henderson? image My oh my, is this a Sox fan dredging up the PAST? image

This is exactly what makes new age Sox fans nothing but big bags of wind. All year long, every year, Yankee fans hear from these WINDBAGS that the past is the past, and its all about NOW, and bla bla bla bla bla.

Unless you can use the PAST in your favor huh? image

Angels in FOUR

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No predictions here. In all honestly Im sweating it out as the Angels have a very good team and whatever happened in the past series with them means zilch, we need to be on top of our game EVERY INNING OF EVERY GAME!

All I can do is root for my team and hope we can win, every game from here on out is like a 7th game!

LETS GO RED SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! image
  • Options
    Any of your Angel (or Red Sox) fans going to be at the game Friday? I'll be there running my mouth ..image ... in section 130 row H...

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    12 hours until first pitch....I can already feel the soft warm breeze of a southern California night as the Mighty Big Flappy swings and misses for STRIKE 3!!!

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i> 12 hours until first pitch....I can already feel the soft warm breeze of a southern California night as the Mighty Big Flappy swings and misses for STRIKE 3!!! >>

I live in Redondo Beach, CA and it was 86 here yesterday. Nice heat wave out here as it's been in the high 90's to the 100's in many areas. You should say, I can already feel the VERY HOT breeze of a southern California night as the Mighty Big Flappy swings and misses for STRIKE 3!!! lol

I hope the Red Sox players melt in the heat! image
  • Options

<< <i> Any of your Angel (or Red Sox) fans going to be at the game Friday? I'll be there running my mouth .. ... in section 130 row H... >>

I would think there will be lots of Boston Fans at Angel Stadium. We have lots of RedSox transplants out here and they do travel well. I'm not sure how many people went to the Dodgers versus Red Sox at the Coleseum earlier this year...Dang, there were a ton of Sox fans there! Too many for my liking...lol
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>To me, when a quality starter gets "lit up" he usually bounces back very nicely the next time out. Unless there is injury at play. >>

It's tough to argue with a statement like this. Isn't that just like saying things will get better unless they don't? Well, yes. That's correct.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>12 hours until first pitch....I can already feel the soft warm breeze of a southern California night as the Mighty Big Flappy swings and misses for STRIKE 3!!! >>

Oh goody -- Treetop the Red Sox good luck charm has appeared -- just like he did in October, 2007! image
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474

<< <i>

<< <i> Any of your Angel (or Red Sox) fans going to be at the game Friday? I'll be there running my mouth .. ... in section 130 row H... >>

I would think there will be lots of Boston Fans at Angel Stadium. We have lots of RedSox transplants out here and they do travel well. I'm not sure how many people went to the Dodgers versus Red Sox at the Coleseum earlier this year...Dang, there were a ton of Sox fans there! Too many for my liking...lol >>

God forbid if one of those Red sox fans that smell like clam chower has a seat next to mine!!!!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>12 hours until first pitch....I can already feel the soft warm breeze of a southern California night as the Mighty Big Flappy swings and misses for STRIKE 3!!! >>

Oh goody -- Treetop the Red Sox good luck charm has appeared -- just like he did in October, 2007! image >>

The only thing I brought you was heartburn, at least until the series started!!!! LOL!

New year! New Outlook! Better Team playing a lessor team. I like our chances.

Just over 7 hours until game time!!!!

• Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>

Sincerely,

Gotta disagree here...weren't the 2004 Yankees the biggest Chokers in the playoffs??

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Sincerely,

Gotta disagree here...weren't the 2004 Yankees the biggest Chokers in the playoffs??

image >>

• Options
    Game 1 goes to the Sox -- and they didn't even need Beckett to do it.
  • Options
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Oh goody -- Treetop the Red Sox good luck charm has appeared -- just like he did in October, 2007! image >>

The only thing I brought you was heartburn, at least until the series started!!!! LOL!

New year! New Outlook! Better Team playing a lessor team. I like our chances.

Just over 7 hours until game time!!!! >>

Treetop, hope you can make it to Game 2! image

BTW, did you see Ben Affleck and Matt Damon? -- gotta believe they both were there.
  • Options
    Big win for Bosox last night and a great start for Lester and they did it without some of their key guys getting some hits. Lackey also pitched well but gave up a walk to Youkilis in the 6th and gave up the big hr to Bay after he got Drew out. Even though Lackey pitched into the 7th he still didn't look comfortable in my opinion. He really missed big on certain hitters.

Tonight is a big game. The Angels need to step up big and put last night behind them and get the w. If not I would say Bosox will roll right into the ALCS.

Where's all the Angeles fans???

Brian
    Dodgers Fan and not a Bosox Fan
  • Options

<< <i>Big win for Bosox last night and a great start for Lester and they did it without some of their key guys getting some hits. Lackey also pitched well but gave up a walk to Youkilis in the 6th and gave up the big hr to Bay after he got Drew out. Even though Lackey pitched into the 7th he still didn't look comfortable in my opinion. He really missed big on certain hitters.

Tonight is a big game. The Angels need to step up big and put last night behind them and get the w. If not I would say Bosox will roll right into the ALCS.

Where's all the Angeles fans???

Brian
    Dodgers Fan and not a Bosox Fan >>

Los Angeles fans (not just baseball) generally are not fans as much as they are people passing their time with the fad of the day. There are numerous exceptions, but how many people live and die with the performance of the Angels? Right, nowhere near as many as RSN.
  • Options
    Yeah, I couldn't believe how many Angels fans left the game early last night. It's not like it was a blowout or anything and yet the Red Sox got a little lead on them and they start hemorraging fans.
  • Options
    Red Sox fans would have been chewing their fingernails till the very end. Angel fans just didn't want to deal with the traffic.
    Then again, Angel fans have seen this movie too many times before, and since they knew the ending already, decided it wasn't worth it.
  • Options
    Those were the Red Sox fans that Left early........LOL!

Its always been this way out here. Don't always understand why. Traffic in and out of Angels Stadium is easy really. Try Dodgers stadium sometime. Can take an hour to get down the hill from the stadium

Wish the out come of game #1 was different. So far, the series is just like the past series between these two teams. Hopeing for a rebound on Friday and Vlad has to learn he can't take gambles like last nights especially at his age, size and bad knee. Thought the game was evenly played until the Valddy play and Sheilds giving up some late inning runs

Oh well, long ways to go....and hate this in between games lay off!

1 down, but not out

Angels in 4

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if the 04 Yanks 'choked' I think it is common knowledge, at the time anyway, that they were simply outplayed.

Revisionists will claim it was a choke job. Those that remember quite frankly remember it differently.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Angels played their style of baseball up until they got the one run. After that, everything seemed to change. They are usually an aggressive team at the plate but they watched to many strikes go by. Base running 101 error by Vlad image didn't help. Error by GMJ in RF was kick in the groin. Lester pitched a great game and the BoSox showed how resilient they are.

Sticking with my original prediction, Angels in 4.
  • Options
    Hey CreeperKat, I was just checking out your Halos website and your card collection. It's an awesome site and very well done, actually better than most of the card selling companies. Also, I'm sure the Angels will make it a series in game 2.

Brian
  • Options
    Thanks. I haven't worked on it for several months now. Don't have as much time to spend on it and to learn more about the things I want to do with the site.

• Options
    WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Much more baseball to go!
  • Options

<< <i>I'm not sure if the 04 Yanks 'choked' I think it is common knowledge, at the time anyway, that they were simply outplayed.

Revisionists will claim it was a choke job. Those that remember quite frankly remember it differently.

Steve >>

Outplayed? Ofcourse they were but ANY team that goes up 3-0 in a ALCS and loses choked- You can call it what you want but being outplayed after a 3-0 lead means ya choked.

I say the Sox choked during the '03 series and that was a completely different scenario so Im not being biased Im calling it the way I see it.
  • Options
    A nice win last night and a huge leg up for the Red Sox. I'd obviously rather face having to win 2 out of 4 than 3 out of 4. Pressure on the Angels now facing Daisuke and Beckett in Boston. Ortiz and Drew need to get going at the plate. I think we could lose Lowell at any time if he tweaks the injury further. PLEASE, PLEASE leave you know who in the bullpen!! Lester was on fire and Tek called a great game. The error by Lowrie was quickly overcome by Bay's dinger. Pretty shallow of the Angel fans to leave early, that would NEVER happen at Fenway, especially in view of the fact they were still in the game, not like it was a rout. They remind me of Braves fans with their doofus foam tomahawks who have little clue about the game other than to mimic the Florida State Football fans mantra.

Just got my REMDAWG license plate today...wife still thinks I'm crazy. When I finally get a digital camera (soon), I'll take a pic and post it. Hopefully a good omen, nice timing.

What the hell was Guerrero thinking?? HUGE goof.

Enjoy da games!!!
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a replay of the 2005 Angels playoff effort. Good pitching but powder puff offense.
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like a replay of the 2005 Angels playoff effort. Good pitching but powder puff offense. >>

One game dude! Lets not write the Halos off has having a "powder puff" offense until a few more games are played. Red Sox weren't exactly ripping the cover off the ball.

• Options

<< <i> Looks like a replay of the 2005 Angels playoff effort. Good pitching but powder puff offense. >>

Could that have been the result of Lester pitching an awesome game the other night? He had the hitters way off their game. It's only game 1 and I don't think the Angels are going to just let the Bosox take the series away in California.

Brian
  • Options

<< <i> Red Sox weren't exactly ripping the cover off the ball. >>

All you need is to score one more than the opponent, no? I'll take 4-1 every day of the year. Had Lowrie not given your team an extra out, it may well have been a shutout.

Should the Red Sox win tonight, I'd say the fat lady is singing LOUDLY. Not likely your team will survive two games in Fenway Park.

BTW, was Guerrero thinking the Red Sox don't know how to throw to 3rd base?? What a dumb move!!

• Options
    [qBTW, was Guerrero thinking the Red Sox don't know how to throw to 3rd base?? What a dumb move!! >>

Wasn't the first time he's done something like this. He's probably ran us out of a game or two a year since he's been here. Yes, he's also won us a TON of games, but not the brightest blub in the bunch if you ask me.

Would have to agree, that the Angels lose tonight, it lights out over Disneyland!

• Options
    That was just Vladdy being Vladdy.
  • Options
    Splain this to me...

After the game, Scosia is interviewed and states "if we win in Boston Sunday the pressure will all be on the Red Sox"...huh? Dontja have to win all three Mike vs the Red Sox needing to win just one??

Must be a California sour grapes thing.