Home Precious Metals
Options

Mint Selling Platinum at a Loss?

jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been tracking the Mint's sales data on their website for the Regular Issue Platinum Eagles. Several days ago, the total for 1 oz. coins was 1,500. Two days ago the total jumped to 5,000 oz. Today the total is now 8,600 of the 1 oz. coins.

Assuming that the Mint had bought platinum for inventory previously at much higher prices............

If the Mint is producing (and selling) this many 1 oz. coins now, does it mean that there is no cost constraint on the Mint's selling price? Several comments have been made here that the language in the American Eagle authorization bill specifies that the selling price be higher than the total costs associated with procuring materials, producing and selling the coins.

Any thoughts?
Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Comments

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does that language apply to bullion platinum coins or just to the collector versions?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does that language apply to bullion platinum coins or just to the collector versions? >>

Since the mint stopped selling the overpriced collector version some time ago, I would suspect that this applies to the bullion version.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since the mint stopped selling the overpriced collector version some time ago, I would suspect that this applies to the bullion version.

Either way, unless they just bought some new platinum supplies, anything that they are selling now would be at a loss.

So, either they ran out of stock and replenished it before striking more of the Regular Issue Plats for sale now at a profit, or they are selling them at a loss.

And, if they are selling them at a loss, why wouldn't they be offering the collectors' versions at a loss as well? After all, they have a higher margin on them than they do on the Regular Issues.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.