Home Precious Metals

bullion question. What multiple of face is silver Canadian selling for?

coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone? Thanks in advance

Comments

• << <i>Anyone? Thanks in advance >>

Just a quick figure...I am sure someone will come along that will give more accurate numbers...

But what I came up with is...

80% silver at 7.9 x face

50% silver at 4.9 x face

This may be a tad on the high side.

RAH
  • That would depend on the year and the denomination.

Some Canadian is 80% silver, some 50% or 40%, don't remember, and it varies by denominations and years.

Some years contained no silver in some denominations and silver in others.

I try not to deal with it as it can be confusing.

I believe there are other percentages as well.

Older Redbooks had it in them. You might want to check out some other source to find the breakdowns.

Very difficult/impossible to give a multiple of face without further information.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    http://www.coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html

scroll down a bit. it has candian silver values... then you can simply
    do the math.

1.98 / .25 = 7.92

for the 80% quarter.
  • http://www.coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html
    link

At $13.19 silver price, it is $7.91 melt value for each $1 in Canada face value for the 80% silver.

All the pre-1968 dollars and halves are 80%. Some of the 1967 and 68 dimes and quarters are 50%. Dimes and quarters dated 1966 and before are 80%.

• Don't forget coinflation.com uses a higher multiplier than is accepted in the collecting world.

For U.S 90% they use a multiplier of .7233 not the common .715 X's spot for their melt value

I don't know if this applies to the Canadian as well.

• Just be careful buying it. It deosn't follow the pattern of US coins as far as the dates.

They stopped it altogether and then added it back in a few years later for a couple of years in certain coins only.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • My local B@M won't even touch it on the buy side... They have a bucket they get from estate sales. But they
    have to buy it then to get the entire collection...

• << <i>My local B@M won't even touch it on the buy side... They have a bucket they get from estate sales. But they
    have to buy it then to get the entire collection... >>

May be a good place to buy it from if they are so adverse to it and you can get it at a discount. Then sell it to another source that sees it as silver.
    Witty sig line currently under construction. Thank you for your patience.
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys...