Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Panda collectors only!!!!! Question about the silver proof set.

Do any of you hardcore panda collectors recognize the 1997-1998-1999 "colorized" proofs as being part of the proof set? I know PCGS includes them in their registry set, but I cannot stand them, and view them with great disdain. No official coin...bullion or otherwise....should be "colorized by a serious mint. The reason I bring this up is that in about 3 hours, I will have in my possesion the 1983 silver proof. That coin will complete my silver proof panda collection sans the 3 "colorized" pieces. Thoughts and comments heavily encouraged!

Comments

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I also do not like colorized silver bullion.

However...this is not a Panda issue...there is one experience that made me warm up to one.

Mexican Libertads. One of the first ones I bought was a painted one and I was not terribly happy with it.

After a few more normal Libertads, I realize that its tricolor paintjob and the 'rainbow tape effect' on the angel figure gave it a certain special festive 'Cinco de Mayo' look.

Of course you know that your complete panda collection

Is

Just

Not

Complete

Without Three Painted Pandas.

It's not about what you like. It's about OCD and completeness.

It's time for my daily treatment, i'll be back soon.

• Options
    Adam, you are on the button with this. Eventually I WILL break down and scoop the other 3 coins at some point. Its weird cuz it has zero to do with the cost (they are relatively cheap compared to most other dates), but everything to do with principle. If/when I do buy them, I expect to feel a massive amount of shame for "selling out".
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I hope I don't offend a collector here, but here goes.

The series that I would feel the Utmost Shame in collecting?

The "Isle Of Man Cats" series.

It's a 'popular' series, so I suspect someone collects them. I really like cats. I am nuts for cats. These coins make me feel ill.

• Options
    Here is the final piece of the puzzle....except for those damn 3 colorized "coins"!image

NGC 68 UCAM by the way.

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Were there non-colorized versions produced for those years?

If so, I would say they are their own seperate series. But if that was all there was for those years, I would say they are part of the regular series.

Just an opinion from someone who's totally objective and has very little knowlegde of anything on coins, and especially this series of which I have none image
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History