Home Sports Talk
Options

Ryan Howard - Hall of Famer?

Seriously, the post should say, "Ryan Howard - A great start to be a Hall of Famer, lets talk about it in 6 more years"

This post is for Steve. I didn't want Howard left out...lol

Seriously, only 3 full seasons under his belt and already has 176 HR's. That's probably one of the best starts ever, isn't it??

Maybe he can dethrone that punk Barry Bonds as the HR king one day.

Comments

• Options
    he was an old rookie; he's fat. if he can last 10 years and hit HR's at his current pace. perhaps.
  • Options
    I must say that I'm pulling for the guy. I went to college w/ him and it would be neat to think that I was there at the same time as a HOFer. I know it's cheesy but I can't help it.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I think he needs to string together more good years before you can start discussing HOF qualifications....al.
  • Options
    In two or three years he'll have done almost as much as Mo Vaughn
    Tom
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In two or three years he's already done as much as Mo Vaughn in his entire career >>

true, except that mo never won ROY
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Only time will tell.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barring injury yes but that's a big "IF" - lots of athletes were on their way to the Hall of Fame before a career ending or career altering injury struck.
  • Options
    I say NO Way is Howard a HOF'er, He is older than most think and is a heavy ball player. I worry about that low average, when his power starts slipping, he will be out of a gig.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if he maintains this pace for at least ten years, you bet.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In two or three years he'll have done almost as much as Mo Vaughn >>

I don't think Mo Vaughn is a potential HOF'er....
  • Options
    I would make a long term bet on no.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i> In two or three years he'll have done almost as much as Mo Vaughn >>

I started this thread in fun, but I enjoy reading the comments.

Here are the comparisons on Mo Vaughn versus Ryan Howard in their early stages of their career with similar at bats.

Mo Vaughn first 5 seasons (1991 - 1995)

590 Games
    2057 AB
    312 Runs
    587 Hits
    115 2B
    7 3B
    111 HR
    398 RBi
    502 SO
    277 BB
    .285 Ave

Ryan Howard
    569 Games (Less 21 than Vaughn)
    2062 AB (+ 5 than Vaughn)
    357 Runs (+ 45 than Vaughn )
    574 Hits (- 13 than Vaughn)
    98 2B
    7 3B
    176 HR (+ 65 than Vaughn)
    495 RBI (+97 than Vaughn)
    689 SO (+187 than Vaughn)
    331 BB
    .278 Ave
  • Options
    compare them from ages 24 through 28 and things look a lot closer, 737 hits, 151 homeruns, 132 doubles, 509 RBIs, 346 walks for Vaughn. He then went on to have a few more productive years, hence the reason Howard needs a few more years to equal what Vaughn did in his career

Yes Vaughn has the edge in playing time, simply because Howard could not make the starting lineup until so late. How much credit to you give to Howard for being a great hitter in the minors and on the bench?
    Tom
  • Options

<< <i>compare them from ages 24 through 28 and things look a lot closer, 737 hits, 151 homeruns, 132 doubles, 509 RBIs, 346 walks for Vaughn. He then went on to have a few more productive years, hence the reason Howard needs a few more years to equal what Vaughn did in his career

Yes Vaughn has the edge in playing time, simply because Howard could not make the starting lineup until so late. How much credit to you give to Howard for being a great hitter in the minors and on the bench? >>

The Phils signed Jim Thome for big bucks right when Howard was breaking in, hence the reason he was held in the minors for longer than necessary. In Philadelphia people were clamoring for quite sometime to bring this guy up. His MLB bench time was very minimal.

That being said, he needs to do it for another 8-10 years and he will be a lock for the HOF if his numbers remain at a similar level. HOF careers are built on production over the long run, and it is next to impossible to make a prediction before the end of the day. He does have a great start with a ROY, MVP, and soon to be second MVP this season.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Seriously, the post should say, "Ryan Howard - A great start to be a Hall of Famer, lets talk about it in 6 more years"

This post is for Steve. I didn't want Howard left out...lol

Seriously, only 3 full seasons under his belt and already has 176 HR's. That's probably one of the best starts ever, isn't it??

Maybe he can dethrone that punk Barry Bonds as the HR king one day. >>

3 years... 500 RBIs