Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1904 Peso????

What is this?

Does it carry any value over melt?

Comments

• Options
    Pre-Commonwealth 1904S One Peso from the Philippines.

.900 silver - 0.780oz ASW (@ $13.36oz bullion value is $10.42)

6.6 million minted

My very out of date Krause SCoWC says FINE $10, VF $15, XF $30, UNC $135
  • Options
    Except for what may be a couple of rim dings on the Rev.........I think it is a very nice example.
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    If it has never been cleaned, it is worth well above Krause, if you get it certifed by PCGS or NGC. In fact, it would then be worth well above Redbook value as well, as MOST US-Philippine issues have been cleaned over the years, even proofs. Yours was minted in San Francisco, but the Philadelphia minted peso for that year had a mintage of only 10,000. As such, it would be worth more in all grades up to say MS-63 or so; however, the San Francisco minted version would be a conditional rarity above that level and would command a much higher premium. If yours has not been cleaned, I would expect it to grade AU-55 or AU-58, and I'd lean towards 58. If it is graded as such by NGC or PCGS, you'd easily get Redbook MS-60 money for it, if not more.

Check the obverse under direct sunlight to see if there are hairlines evident of an old cleaning, as the image you provided seems to show something like it, but I think your coin likely has not been cleaned.

Nice example!image
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Cleaned and polished, but yes, it is worth more than melt. Maybe about 3x. Philippine silver Pesos are very popular collectibles.

• Options
    The coin is absolutely a cleaned piece. Check out all the hairlines in the obverse fields! Still worth over melt IMO however.
  • Options
    At about 9:00 on the reverse is that a tiny ding or a cud?
  • Options
    It's a cud on the reverse rim at 9:00 right?
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a cud on the reverse rim at 9:00 right? >>

Sorry it looks more like a ding to me.

It's on the bay now.

• Options
    Here are 2 shots, rim damage.................

hope that helps.

• Options
    Yes it is rim damage, but very minimal. It shouldnt have a huge impact on the price of the coin. By the way, excellent photos.
  • Options

<< <i>Yes it is rim damage, but very minimal. It shouldnt have a huge impact on the price of the coin. By the way, excellent photos. >>

Thanks, we shall let the bidders decide on ebay what it's value is. I am predicting $25 - $35

• Options
    No mention of the cleaning?