Home Sports Talk
Options

Carlos Delgado - Hall of Famer?

redlegsredlegs Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am interested to hear opinions on whether or not Delgado should be considered a Hall of Fame candidate. I placed both his and Fred McGriff's statistics for comparison. People always bring up McGriff's lack of all star game appearances when discussing his credentials (only 5). It was interesting to find out that Delgado has only been to two all star games in his career.

Fred McGriff - 5 All Star Game appearances

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG
2460 8757 1349 2490 441 24 493 1550 4458 1305 1882 72 38 .377 .509 .284

Carlos Delgado - 2 All Star Game appearances

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG
2004 7170 1224 2006 475 17 468 1484 3919 1095 1721 14 8 .384 .547 .280

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    By the time Degado retires he will have over 500 hr's.

He will be in the hall of fame.
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>By the time Degado retires he will have over 500 hr's.

He will be in the hall of fame. >>

Everyone who isn't assumed or proved to have been on steroids with 500 HR is a good bet for the HOF. As long as Delgado's name never gets credibly linked to cheating then, yes, he's an easy Hall of Famer.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    Im a huge fan of McGriff, i honestly with he had hit that 500 HR mark. He was so consistent over the years; an RBI Machine.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Delgado plays for a big market NY team - OF COURSE he is a HOF'er. What a silly question.

Shane

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Everyone who isn't assumed or proved to have been on steroids with 500 HR is a good bet for the HOF. As long as Delgado's name never gets credibly linked to cheating then, yes, he's an easy Hall of Famer. >>

I agree. I think the players who played in the Roid area and managed to either stay away from steriods or off the lists and with the #'s Delgado should have when he's finished will be HOF's. Delgado had an offseason last year, but he looks like himself again...Does he have a few good years left if he stays injury free? He should end up in the top 15 HR list when he retires and that's good company.
  • Options
    Bagwell, Thomas, Thome, Pujols are all better. If Helton can come back, he has a good chance to surpass him. How many firstbaseman from one generation can make the Hall-of-Fame?
    Tom
  • Options
    Depending on who he retires with will decide if he is a 1st ballot or not. I would think no, but i thought he was washed up earlier this year so what do i know.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Timing is everything, PUjols may be better but Delgado will be retired for 5 yrs and Pujols may still be playing.

Bagwell does not get in......roids

Thomas and Thome yes.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    The numbers say he's a virtual shoo-in, especially if he ends up over 500 HRs.

BTW - how did Arod win the MVP over Delgado in 2003? What a crock....similar numbers (most slightly favoring Delgado, except for RBIs where Delgado had a HUGE edge 145-117) and Delgado's team won 15 more games...
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Where have you been? Didn't you know that RBI is a meaningless stat?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i> The numbers say he's a virtual shoo-in, especially if he ends up over 500 HRs. >>

That's something I've been thinking about lately. I wonder if the criteria for being a HOF lock will raise the bar a bit higher. For example, maybe 550+ HR's in this era or wil the writers stay with 500 HR's except for the Roid players?
  • Options

<< <i>similar numbers >>

Rodriguez: 1369.67 innings at shortstop
    Delgado: 1278 innings at firstbase

(according to baseballreference, might be slightly off)

That is not similar at all. . .

Still, being the second best player in the league, along with one or two other years as top five is enough of a peak to make the Hall-of-Fame if he can add about 15 more years at All-Star level. It will be up to writers to decide if what he was doing in the late 90s, then again the past five years is that level
    Tom