Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why Registered Mail takes so long to be delivered...

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
imageimage
To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    As long as it gets here safe, I can sacrifice those 2 weeks or so!
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

I want one of those!!

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    Did they hire a kid to deliver the registered mail at the last Cycle?
  • Options

<< <i>Did they hire a kid to deliver the registered mail at the last Cycle? >>

I would guess that rider #2 is also under 18 as Child Labor was quite common.

1880 Labor force participation rates of children, 10 to 15 years old (percentages)

Males 32.5

Females 12.2
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting high centered on one of them is a real "goose" job, I suspect.
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Because it does and that's that.image

Confusing questions on a Sundays morning. And what does this thread have to do with coins? This should be in the Mail room forum sorry you have to play fair like everyone else.image
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did they hire a kid to deliver the registered mail at the last Cycle? >>

Actually, the kid was for 'Special Delivery'.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>Because it does and that's that.image

Confusing questions on a Sundays morning. And what does this thread have to do with coins? This should be in the Mail room forum sorry you have to play fair like everyone else.image >>

This is semi coin related as on coins up to $25K we are dependent on this mode of shipping...

It just took 8 business days to send a Registered parcel 3 hours north which is silly in 2008, unless they have resorted to using the Pentacycle again image
  • Options

<< <i>I want one of those!!

~ >>

This might be pretty cool too MONOroue image
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

~ >>

This might be pretty cool too MONOroue image >>

-----

Nah, nowhere to put the training wheels.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    My Postal carrier uses a different mode of transportation for Registerd Mail...

imageimage
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

~ >>

This might be pretty cool too MONOroue image >>

He should put some advertising in the spokes of that thing and make a bundle at Fairs, etc. (To buy coins of course)

Joe
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    I don't know what they are doing sometimes with registered packages. I had two identically sized packages leave PCGS on the same day at the same time. The one arrived the netxt morning. The other is still not here a week later. I could have leisurely strolled up to Newport Beach and back in less time. I am sure the Post Office's pentacycles could do it even faster.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very tough subject...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

Like Coxe I do not understand why packages leaving PCGS can take such a long time to go a very short distance. I live about 1 hour from PCGS and always when I send them a registered mail package in the afternoon it is logged into PCGS the next morning.

Currently, I have a $6,500.00 coin that was graded on September 30 and supposedly shipped on October 1 from PCGS. According to USPS electronic tracking information they have been notified by PCGS of the shipment, but the shipment has not arrived at USPS. This occurred the same way with the US Mint about 6 months ago and I never did get the coins.

Anyone have recommended waiting times before calling PCGS, other than the 30 days USPS requires, for monetary replacement?

• Options
    Coxe it's even worse when the USPS looses these as mine just showed up but she's DOA... thankfully there's PayPal Buyer Protection imageimageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

This is semi coin related as on coins up to $25K we are dependent on this mode of shipping...

>>

The post office will send stuff registered that is well in excess of $25K, the insurance and postage just goes exponentially higher. And they usually do not publish the rates. They have this so Stacks etc. can send out their goodies to their buyers.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know what they are doing sometimes with registered packages. I had two identically sized packages leave PCGS on the same day at the same time. The one arrived the netxt morning. The other is still not here a week later. I could have leisurely strolled up to Newport Beach and back in less time. I am sure the Post Office's pentacycles could do it even faster. >>

Probably because one package ended up on the top of a pile of "who knows how many" that came from PCGS, and the other ended up on the bottom of the pile. If you factor in lunch, coffee breaks, hitting on co-workers and idle time (loafing) before the coffee breaks, lunch and the end of the shift, it is possible that the first package was shipped on Friday and they didn't get around to processing the second package until Tuesday or Wednesday of the following week.

Chris
  • Options

<< <i>Coxe it's even worse when the USPS looses these as mine just showed up but she's DOA... thankfully there's PayPal Buyer Protection imageimageimage

imageimage >>

That is Freaky!!! Can you imagine someone mailing you a dead body? image
    Send in the CSI.image
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

Gives new meaning to " mail order bride ". image

But why is she still sleeping? Trance, suspended animation, hibernating, deceased, wax, meditating?
  • Options

<< <i>Gives new meaning to " mail order bride ". image

But why is she still sleeping? Trance, suspended animation, hibernating, deceased, wax, meditating? >>

Just read the owners manual, darn.... "Batteries NOT Included"! image

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here we go again. My package of graded Plats and Buffs from PCGS was received by the PO on Dec. 30. That's the last update. I'm in Escondido, CA, about 70 miles from Newport Beach. The PO says I have to wait 15 days until they will do anything...
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    My father worked at the main post office in Philadelphia for 30 years and I've been sending registered mail for about the same period of time.
    In my opinion, it all boils down to this:

In any job or profession there are duties required that fall into the "pain in the a$#" category. While there are many requirements in the handling of registered
    mail (this is what makes it a pain for postal employees) there apparently isn't any with regard to timeframes for moving the packages along each stage of delivery.
    So guess what? They get done, when they get done.

By the way, why in the h$%# doesn't eBay have registered mail in the drop down??? It is a pain in the neck explaining over and over that we ship high value items registered and registered takes longer.

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options

Or a Restricted Delivery Option!

+ the ability to Insure above $500

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file