Home Precious Metals
Options

Grabbed 2 oz today at yesterday's price and story!!

jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
I stopped in at a competitors shop yesterday. I picked up a 2 1/2 Indian, and saw that he had 2 1 oz K-rands in the case. I asked him how much he wanted and he said 770.00. I almost bought them becuase I am out , but passed, thinking with out a fed rate cut, the price would stay about the same not much to make on them at that price, especially k-rands. This afternoon, I just happen to be enroute back from out of town and was not following the markets when I just happen to pull up gold quote's on my b berry and noticed it had jumped significantly. I said darn, should have grabbed them two oz yesterday, but oh well. So, I just happen to cruise by that shop and they were still there. I casually mentioned , yeah, i should have picked up those k's yesterday. But after no comment, I thought maybe he isnt aware. So I said whats the price on those again, he 770.00. I said Ill take them and left.

Ps: This is actually quite unusual becuase even though he does not have computer acces in the shop, he usually has a caller give him quotes over the phone a few times a day, but apparently he was asleep at the wheel today. And even though its only a few buck made, it felt good !!

Jim d

Comments

• Options
    Hmmm. Don't know as I could do that. jws
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmmm. Don't know as I could do that. jws >>

Why not? The dealer probably paid far less than $770 for them.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    "Why not? The dealer probably paid far less than $770 for them. " PerryHall.

The OP did nothing wrong. I just hope that if I was in the same situation I would ask the seller if he was aware of the spike. Conversely I would hope that if I was in the sellers place I would honor the price I quoted and then raise my next quote. This is real easy for me to say, not sure if I could or would actually live up to my expectations. Heck I'm a Picses. image. jws
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a side note if you think he should have been advised on the rise in price:

This same dealer 3 years ago(before I had my shop) bought 25k (wholesale price) worth of coins from a lady who's husband died some 5 years earlier for 5k. She had complete sets of Buffalo, WLH, Barber dimes, quarters and halves, Lincolns, Liberty 5c SLQ's and Mercury dimes. All of these sets were F to XF with several AU's. He basically bought all the sets for the good bid set price price listed in the cdn. I was standing in the shop when she came in and the coins were nice!! To this day I wish I would have said something to get her to hold off, but didnt because I was in his shop. This was the largest intentional raping I have ever witnessed in the business.

When she walked out, I offered him 15 k on the spot, and he smiled and said no, I am going to make a killing on this!!!!!

jim
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just a side note if you think he should have been advised on the rise in price:

This same dealer 3 years ago(before I had my shop) bought 25k (wholesale price) worth of coins from a lady who's husband died some 5 years earlier for 5k. She had complete sets of Buffalo, WLH, Barber dimes, quarters and halves, Lincolns, Liberty 5c SLQ's and Mercury dimes. All of these sets were F to XF with several AU's. He basically bought all the sets for the good bid set price price listed in the cdn. I was standing in the shop when she came in and the coins were nice!! To this day I wish I would have said something to get her to hold off, but didnt because I was in his shop. This was the largest intentional raping I have ever witnessed in the business.

When she walked out, I offered him 15 k on the spot, and he smiled and said no, I am going to make a killing on this!!!!!

jim >>

ah the B&M dealer that I find to be the norm. one out of five in my
    area that i actually trust.
  • Options
    my lawyer believe it or not told me once two wrong's don't make a right
    your call
  • Options
    I always honor a price I quote if it's within a short time frame.

I will go up as needed the next time around, though.

That dealer got what he deserved, anybody in metals today that doesn't have a computer and a Kitco bar in their system tray is obviously out of his element.

Karma has a way of always working things out. The wheels may grind slow, but they grind exceedingly fine.

Sounds like a dealer I wouldn't even bother with after that rip. However, if he doesn't have up to date quotes, I might make it a point to visit him on a regular basis.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    a039a039 Posts: 1,546
    If you walked into sell without knowing current spot he would have got the upperhand.
  • Options

<< <i>but apparently he was asleep at the wheel today. And even though its only a few buck made, it felt good !!

Jim d >>

Knowledge is power.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    Hey Jim, call me when your internet connection goes down again.... imageimage

Good guys always get a deal every once in a while. You have always treated me very fair.

Karma goes in circles....