Home Precious Metals
Options

Bought 3 ounces of gold this morning without even realizing there was a mini-spike.

In my travels, I stopped in a southside coin shop and picked up 3 key date 1oz gold pandas. Didnt even know gold had gone up over $50 today until the guy quoted me a price. Pictures will be posted later tonight when the wife gets home with MY camera.image

Edited to add photos:

Here is the 1999 in a "capsule" inside a pouch. Below it is a regular packaged 1999 panda. My newp sure looks proof from the photos, yet no proofs were made for this year.

And here are the other 2 that I bought today. A pretty pair of 1996 bears indeed. Mintage is just a scant 22,009 making this the 4th rarest of all 27 years of cuddly pandas.

Comments

• Options
    The good news is its gone up 32 dollars more since you bought it. image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I do not call it good. My local B& M was going to get in 10 ounces of mixed pandas today. I had intended to buy 10 of the 1/10 ounce ones today for 79 dollars each. ( yesterdays price)
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    One of the 3 pandas I bought struck me as particularly odd. It is double sealed (hard capsule in a soft pouch), and aside from the 2000 gold panda, I had never seen any business strike packaged as such, only the proofs. I contacted one of my panda expert friends, and here is what his reply was:

You have bought a rare 1999 1oz gold panda. Most people have no idea that 1999 gold pandas were produced, similar to silver panda, at three different mints. The double sealed gold panda was stroke at Shenzhen Mint. This is the first year that Shenzhen mint produces gold and silver pandas and the mintage is very low. If you have been collected panda for long time, you most likely know that the price for version with underlined base 1 in 1999 silver panda is about three times more than the other two versions. This is the version produced at Shenzhen Mint. If you bought about $1000, you had a steal. Regards, Tiang

So, the plot thickens! Pictures forthcoming if the wife ever makes it home with my camera. I also have some other "lines" in the water on gathering info on what seems may be a very rare coin.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    you like to get Atta Boys, don't you?

good job!

• Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is precious metal not KEY coins....
    you and your Pandas and how you rip everyone and you hate when someone offers you
    Spot plus for your coins
  • Options

<< <i>One of the 3 pandas I bought struck me as particularly odd. It is double sealed (hard capsule in a soft pouch), and aside from the 2000 gold panda, I had never seen any business strike packaged as such, only the proofs. I contacted one of my panda expert friends, and here is what his reply was:

You have bought a rare 1999 1oz gold panda. Most people have no idea that 1999 gold pandas were produced, similar to silver panda, at three different mints. The double sealed gold panda was stroke at Shenzhen Mint. This is the first year that Shenzhen mint produces gold and silver pandas and the mintage is very low. If you have been collected panda for long time, you most likely know that the price for version with underlined base 1 in 1999 silver panda is about three times more than the other two versions. This is the version produced at Shenzhen Mint. If you bought about $1000, you had a steal. Regards, Tiang >>

Thanks for the good news!

I've had 6 of those stashed away for over 7 years now. I bought them at spot plus $6 back in early 2001. Looks like I paid $260 + $6 for each of them based on my spreadsheet. My B&M just condsidered them generic Pandas and that's all I thought they were till now.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options

Nice work to everyone!

• Options

<< <i>This is precious metal not KEY coins.... >>

Sounds like a KEY to me.

At least to Panda collectors. Mine just took on a serious added value.

You don't have to buy them, so don't worry. You really shouldn't let it concern you.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
  • Options

<< <i>image

Nice work to everyone! >>

Well, let's get realistic here. It was blind luck for both of us.

If you fall into a cowpie and bite down on a diamond, you still aren't a diamond miner. You're just clumsy lucky.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>One of the 3 pandas I bought struck me as particularly odd. It is double sealed (hard capsule in a soft pouch), and aside from the 2000 gold panda, I had never seen any business strike packaged as such, only the proofs. I contacted one of my panda expert friends, and here is what his reply was:

You have bought a rare 1999 1oz gold panda. Most people have no idea that 1999 gold pandas were produced, similar to silver panda, at three different mints. The double sealed gold panda was stroke at Shenzhen Mint. This is the first year that Shenzhen mint produces gold and silver pandas and the mintage is very low. If you have been collected panda for long time, you most likely know that the price for version with underlined base 1 in 1999 silver panda is about three times more than the other two versions. This is the version produced at Shenzhen Mint. If you bought about $1000, you had a steal. Regards, Tiang >>

I've had 6 of those stashed away for over 7 years now. I bought them at spot plus $6 back in early 2001. Looks like I paid $260 + $6 for each of them based on my spreadsheet. My B&M just condsidered them generic Pandas and that's all I thought they were till now. >>

I'd LOVE to see a photo of all 6 of those! That is quite a mini-hoard of rare coins. Are all 6 of them in hard capsules inside soft mylar pouches, or are they in the pouches only without the capsules?
  • Options

<< <i>This is precious metal not KEY coins....
    you and your Pandas and how you rip everyone and you hate when someone offers you
    Spot plus for your coins >>

Get yourself a fresh box of kotex, and a bottle of midol. Should clear those cramps right up.image
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    "Two faced" look on coins? I walk into a coin shop......

ME: Got any gold pandas today?

Him: Yes, here are a few.

ME: I like these, how much do you want?

Him: I'll take spot +$50 for each of them.

ME: Ok, i'll take all 3, here is your money sir.

Now how in the HELL do you get "rip off" from that exchange?
  • Options
    TTT for the night crowd. Are pandas nocturnal?image
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i find the coins good looking but after buying so called chinese silver
    my taste for anything chinese has been soured for a decade.

i want nothing to do with that country anymore :-|
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I've had 6 of those stashed away for over 7 years now. I bought them at spot plus $6 back in early 2001. Looks like I paid $260 + $6 for each of them based on my spreadsheet. My B&M just condsidered them generic Pandas and that's all I thought they were till now. >>

I'd LOVE to see a photo of all 6 of those! That is quite a mini-hoard of rare coins. Are all 6 of them in hard capsules inside soft mylar pouches, or are they in the pouches only without the capsules? >>

They look exactly like yours. Hard capsule and sealed pouch.

Right now they are in a safe deposit box in a shattered and closed bank being patrolled by armed guards.

Should have access soon to all my stuff again.

I still have a hard time considering them rare, but I'll be happy to take your word for it.

I've got lots of Pandas because I just liked the design. Never considered them anything more than modern bullion before.

Just what do you think they are worth over spot?

I suppose it's getting time for me to open an account for images somewhere. I've just never bothered to do it. Not sure I'd want to post large batches of gold coins or any other valuables there. At least not for long.

The best security you can have is to keep your mouth shut.

I really am wondering what they are worth, I'd probably sell all but one and buy other precious metals, assuming they really do have a decent premium.