Home U.S. Coin Forum

Does anyone here own a Byron Reed coin?

If you do, did you buy it at the October 1996 Spink sale or since then? And what do you own? image

What Mr. Spock would say about numismatics...
image... "Fascinating, but not logical"

"Live long and prosper"

My "How I Started" columns

Comments

• asaik, his coins were donated to the city of Omaha.
    Did the city sell some ?
  • MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coalporter:

As I recall in 1996 the City of Omaha decided it wanted to sell the coins to fund improvements to their museum. As I recall there was some outcry about this, so the city asked various auction houses to submit proposals for selling part of the coins. I know that Bowers and Merena was in the running but ultimately lost out. The city eventually decided to retain the patterns and sell others. I am unsure if the coins are currently on display or not.

I hasten to repeat that all of that above is from my memory, so what I say might have major errors.
    Mark

• savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭
    >> the city asked various auction houses to submit proposals for selling part of the coins. I know that Bowers and Merena was in the running but ultimately lost out.>>

the auction house i believe was Christie's.....and yes, to my knowledge the patterns are still on display (though i dont know first hand as i dont live in Omaha)

also, if i'm not mistaken, most of these coins will have a prior pedigree to Lorin Parmelee

www.brunkauctions.com

• I have the 1805 B-1 quarter from that sale.

Used to be Unc with obverse scratches, now it would be someplace in the AU range.

It will probably be consigned to the upcoming FUN show in January, unless someone presents an offer in the near future.
    PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭
    The collection still contains both an 1823/2 B-1 and 1827 B-2 Bust Quarters. I believe it also contains quite a few other coins besides patterns...

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
    It was a Spink sale in 1996. The administration of the City at that time did what others had tried to do a number of times before. Politicians in Omaha have drooled over the $$$$$$$ they see in that collection since the early 60's. However, the items that were eventually sold in 1996 were considered expendable "duplicates" and the majority of the collection remains intact here in Omaha, not just the patterns.

I have been priviledged to have the oportunity to go over the assesment of the collection that took place in 2001. According to it, the American Coin collection contains 139 colonial, 602 Federal Issue, 38 Commemorative, 333 Pattern, and 51 Territorial gold coins. That's not counting the 693 World coins, 1,402 pieces of Exonumia, 673 currency items and 2,850 books and documents.

I am also currently going through over 400 pages of news clippings, memo's, historical documents about the Reed collection dating back to when the collection was donated to the City in 1894. Fascinating reading. For example, there's a 1973 article from the Banknote Reporter that says, "On the eve of learning the election results, Grover C. Criswell, candidate for president, announded that he would be in favor of moving the ANA headquarters 'lock, stock and barrel' to Omaha, Nebraska 'IF', Criswell said, 'we could be assured of becoming curators in perpetuity of the famous, multi-milion dollar Byron Reed collection." That, of course, didn't happen but the "what if's" sure are hard to keep out of this Omaha boy's head. image

Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"

• << <i>I have the 1805 B-1 quarter from that sale.

Used to be Unc with obverse scratches, now it would be someplace in the AU range.

It will probably be consigned to the upcoming FUN show in January, unless someone presents an offer in the near future. >>

Thanks! image

I just thought it would be cool to find out if anyone here actually had one.

"Live long and prosper"

• Dick Osburn currently has an 1851-O quarter from the Byron Reed collection in his inventory. If you are at Long Beach you can stop by Dick's table and take a look at it. It is a very heavily toned coin in an ANACS XF45 holder.
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • thanks. The dark toning doesn't surprise me because I think I read some where that a lot of the coins had "environmental damage" from the way the city stored them.

"Live long and prosper"

• HalfsenseHalfsense Posts: 600 ✭✭✭
    In March 2001, I was at the splendid Durham Western Heritage Museum in Omaha for several days to help publicize the opening of the SS Central America "Ship of Gold" exhibit. Larry Lee was curator of the Byron Reed collection at the time, and he knew about my addiction to Colonial US copper. He set up a special showing for me of dozens of Connecticut, New Jersey, and other delightful coppers in the Reed collection. Thank you, Larry!

It also was a treat to be back in Nebraska because the museum folks brought in Valentino's pizza for lunch one day. I had not consumed a slice of Valentino's since the late 1960's after I attended a Nebraska-Kansas football game in Lincoln (which, if I recall, the Cornhuskers "narrowly squeaked by" the Jayhawks by 64 to 14 or some other humiliating score).

-donn-

"If it happens in numismatics, it's news to me....
  • MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    I purchased this coin from Mark Feld this week. His pic too! It was part of the Christie's Byron Reed sale. Ive tracked it back to Sale 8450 Lot 332 "Quarter-Dollar 1875 Proof Deeply Toned" and realized $308.
    Reading about the other lots, it seems that the "deeply tone" coins were quite the norm in the proof quarters that were sold.

Derek

EAC 6024
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own this 1794 large cent. It is listed in Breen's large cent book as an "AU-55 with a small planchet clip" ... Spink America #8450, 10/1996, ... Dan Holmes Collection. It is in an MS-62, Brown holder. I grade it AU-58.

It was sold in the first Dan Holmes sale, and I bought it via private treaty.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I own this 1794 large cent. It is listed in Breen's large cent book as an "AU-55 with a small planchet clip" ... Spink America #8450, 10/1996, ... Dan Holmes Collection. It is in an MS-62, Brown holder. I grade it AU-58.

It was sold in the first Dan Holmes sale, and I bought it via private treaty. >>

+1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file