Home Precious Metals
Options

Tulving Company warning....

Pulled this from the Kitco.com silver forum. ( I didn't even know they had a forum) Anywho, I have seen this company
promoted several times on this forum... Research for yourself... Buyer beware....

And I know for a fact UPS will not insure coins....

Hannes Tulving: Warning

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently received numerous mint-sealed monster boxes of silver coins from the Tulving Company. About $60,000 worth, in fact. One monster box was busted wide open, one strap sheared off and with 15 of 25 uncapped tubes of coins. 40~50 coins were loose, tarnished and badly banged up. The open tubes all had foreign matter, moisture and many tarnished coins in them.

All the other MBs were fine. I took pictures. I reported the problem to Tulving and to UPS. UPS informed me that the particular shipment was not insured and that they do not even allow coin shipments. They refused to assist in documenting the damage and would not even take a report.

Hannes Tulving refused to divulge his insurer's name and repeatedly insisted that I should take the matter up with UPS or the Austrian Mint. He would not even discuss any type of claim or accommodation. He was rude, evasive and accepted no responsibility despite shipping these heavy items in a too-small and un-padded cardboard box only slightly larger than the mint box.

I will never buy from that man again if he was the only seller on Earth. Anyone who would like to see a copy of the email correspondence between myself and Mr. Tulving may PM me with their email address. His final words were "I'm insured and YOU'RE NOT".

When you buy from Tulving, it appears the policy is "If there is any problem, the customer owns it". He continually insisted that only UPS could help me despite the obvious fact that no UPS insurance was or can be bought to cover coin shipments and despite UPS's absolute refusal to assist in any way.

If your Tulving shipment is lost or damaged, just write it off. He's got your money and if you complain, his answer is: Tough luck, sucker! Go talk to UPS (and he knows damn well he didn't insure with them and all about their published policy prohibiting the shipping of coins, money or bullion).

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Pulled this from the Kitco.com silver forum. ( I didn't even know they had a forum) >>

...and I wonder whose post brought this to your attention???image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Pulled this from the Kitco.com silver forum. ( I didn't even know they had a forum) >>

...and I wonder whose post brought this to your attention???image >>

imageimageimage
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Well, I won't be buying anything from them.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's bad enough if they refused to discuss the damage, and it calls their integrity into question if there were to be a loss.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These guys did not receive much good press back in the 1980's as I recollect....and deservedly so. But I have to give them credit for reinventing themselves and hanging around so long. They must have been doing something right.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    During bad times, those dealers with weak moral fiber

will fail as a business taking a number of customers down

with them.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
  • Options
    None for me, thanks.
    Witty sig line currently under construction. Thank you for your patience.
  • Options
    Is everyone taking this at face value? How reputable is the person posting this story? Is he/she a known complainer/basher? Is it at all possible this is from an Alt or hijacked ID and being posted by a competing dealer?

I've seen enough threads bashing both dealers and/or buyers, on this forum to know that often times they are full of half-truths that often only tell a small part of the story. The part that makes the other side look bad. 80% of the time when the other party is also on the forum and replies, it turns out that the original complainer is mostly at fault or left out key details that make the story sound very different. I'm not saying this is true in the case of this Tulving report, but there is a chance.

• Options

<< <i>Is everyone taking this at face value? How reputable is the person posting this story? Is he/she a known complainer/basher? Is it at all possible this is from an Alt or hijacked ID and being posted by a competing dealer?

I've seen enough threads bashing both dealers and/or buyers, on this forum to know that often times they are full of half-truths that often only tell a small part of the story. The part that makes the other side look bad. 80% of the time when the other party is also on the forum and replies, it turns out that the original complainer is mostly at fault or left out key details that make the story sound very different. I'm not saying this is true in the case of this Tulving report, but there is a chance. >>

From what I read on the Kitco forum. This was a long time purchaser who seemed to have respect on the board.

He had pics posted. But you had to log in to see them. It seems he wasn't the only one having issues with them.

The one thing I do know for a fact.. UPS WILL NOT INSURE COINS... And if the company would not provide the insurance
    info I would have a problem as well....

Why don't you log on and ask him your questions? kitco.com click on forums and enter the silver forum..

I could see how the buyer would be at fault for UPS destroying his package...image
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    UPS doesn't insure any collectable. This has been all over the internet in all the hobbies. USPS is the only way to go or at least the best way the way things are.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Is everyone taking this at face value? How reputable is the person posting this story? Is he/she a known complainer/basher? Is it at all possible this is from an Alt or hijacked ID and being posted by a competing dealer?

I've seen enough threads bashing both dealers and/or buyers, on this forum to know that often times they are full of half-truths that often only tell a small part of the story. The part that makes the other side look bad. 80% of the time when the other party is also on the forum and replies, it turns out that the original complainer is mostly at fault or left out key details that make the story sound very different. I'm not saying this is true in the case of this Tulving report, but there is a chance. >>

From what I read on the Kitco forum. This was a long time purchaser who seemed to have respect on the board.

He had pics posted. But you had to log in to see them. It seems he wasn't the only one having issues with them.

The one thing I do know for a fact.. UPS WILL NOT INSURE COINS... And if the company would not provide the insurance
    info I would have a problem as well....

Why don't you log on and ask him your questions? kitco.com click on forums and enter the silver forum..

I could see how the buyer would be at fault for UPS destroying his package...image >>

It would be extremely rude for me to log on and ask someone those kind of questions, especially since I would be a total newbie there. I made my post because I have seen enough basher threads on the PCGS forum to know that sometimes only half or less than half the story is being told. If complaints get repeated by several reputable and long time members I will certainly take those complaints seriously. So far no I don't see any first hand complaints on the PCGS forum, which likely has ten times as many active members as Kitco does. That is no guarantee of anything, but if it were a consistent problem with the vendor, your post would likely have attracted several more with similar complaints. It is not as if Tulving is a new company with a short history.

On the PCGS forum, I have seen sock puppets and bashers so I would imagine they might exist on other forums. Again, I have no idea if this is the case in this story, and don't have any interest in playing forum cop, especially on a forum I don't read. I made my post as a reminder to all readers, especially the newbies, to be cautious when seeing condemnation or overt praise.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although this report makes me a bit uncomfortable, I reiterate that I've bought from Hannes Tulving on many occasions since 1999, and I've had good service, and no problems ever.

He did tell me that they have their own insurance (but I'm not sure what that means). If anyone knows more about this situation in detail, I'd be interested in knowing what really came down.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>sock puppets and bashers >>

You missed my point entirely... My main concern was the insurance issue.. I could give a poooo
    about the ASEs.. They are just bullion right???

I would think if you had an honest question. It would not be rude to sign in and send a PM asking
    if he found out anything about the insurance issue.

It is a public forum isn't it... Main focus on the word PUBLIC.....
  • Options
    The poster who placed this on Kitco helps out quite a bit on the Kitco Forums with advice and
    statements. He rarely posts from opinion but rather experience and knowledge from research
    and will lead you where to find the info. I should have listened to him back in Feb. about PD. He
    knows PMs from undiscovered in the ground through product.

He also posted some pictures how how he received it.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Had many deals with Tulving , never had a problem with them so I guess I cannot comment on how they deal with problems
    Buy the dips!!!
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Pulled this from the Kitco.com silver forum. ( I didn't even know they had a forum) Anywho, I have seen this company
    promoted several times on this forum... Research for yourself... Buyer beware....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently received numerous mint-sealed monster boxes of silver coins from the Tulving Company. About $60,000 worth, in fact. One monster box was busted wide open, one strap sheared off and with 15 of 25 uncapped tubes of coins. 40~50 coins were loose, tarnished and badly banged up. The open tubes all had foreign matter, moisture and many tarnished coins in them. >>

Anyone buying $60,000 worth of anything should know that the seller's responsibility ends once the merchandise has been delivered to the shipper, and it;s up to the buyer to provide insurance for his property if the shipper does not offer it. Anyone with a real business should have business insurance which covers items in transit.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Pulled this from the Kitco.com silver forum. ( I didn't even know they had a forum) Anywho, I have seen this company

I recently received numerous mint-sealed monster boxes of silver coins from the Tulving Company. About $60,000 worth, in fact. One monster box was busted wide open, one strap sheared off and with 15 of 25 uncapped tubes of coins. 40~50 coins were loose, tarnished and badly banged up. The open tubes all had foreign matter, moisture and many tarnished coins in them. >>

Anyone buying $60,000 worth of anything should know that the seller's responsibility ends once the merchandise has been delivered to the shipper, and it;s up to the buyer to provide insurance for his property if the shipper does not offer it. Anyone with a real business should have business insurance which covers items in transit. >>

Hey Frank

You need to finish reading the complaint. You just seemed to quote the first paragraph, then comment about the buyer needing to buy ins.

If you would finish the complaint. You would see the SELLER stated the shipment was insured. Yet refused to release HIS insures info.

If I buy something from a SELLER who runs a large bullion business. And that SELLER claims my package is insured.
    Why shouldn't the SELLER file the claim with HIS insurer who he claims INSURED my package..

Come on Frank, let's make our comments FAIR and BALANCED.....image
  • Options
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards