Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ummm whats a Tomback?

On local TV station quiz during news today the question was.

A 1943 Tomback would appeal to what type of collector.

A) Baseball Card Collector
B) Stamp Collector
C) Coin Collector
D) Matchbook Collector

They gave C as the answer but I have to admit I've never heard of a Tomback. Anyone care to fill me in on what I'm missing?
I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

Comments

• Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    The answer is "C".

"Tombacs" are Canadian 5 cent pieces made from that material during WWII.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    ": an alloy essentially of copper and zinc and sometimes tin or arsenic that is used especially for cheap jewelry and gilding"

-Dictionary.com
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭

I think that's a tombac?
  • Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭
    Thanks that clears it up for me.

I wasnt thinking Canadian... I think I might have heard the term before now that I know the context.

I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options
    Yassum.

Tombac is also known as "red brass".

They were produced in 1942 and 1943, and in 1944 and '45 Canada switched to chrome-plated steel.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well... I did not know that.. thanks.. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Alex Trebek, is Canadian. Was it Jeopardy?
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The answer is "C".

"Tombacs" are Canadian 5 cent pieces made from that material during WWII. >>

Dude, you're old!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    just did a quick google and pcgs has a page about a certain coin.

----------

Unique 1944 Tombac Canadian 5-cent Piece Slated for Auction

Ken Potter - July 23, 1999

The unique 1944 Canadian five-cent piece struck in tombac rather than the normal chromium-nickel plated steel of the year is being offered for auction in the upcoming American Numismatic Association (ANA) 108th Anniversary Convention Sale being conducted by Heritage Numismatic Auctions Inc. of Dallas, Texas August 10 - 13. This is only the second time the coin is being offered for public sale. The first time the coin crossed the auction block was more than 18 years ago at the 1982 ANA Mid-Winter Sale conducted by Kurt R. Krueger. Birmingham, Michigan rare coin dealer, John Abbott netted the enigmatic rarity with a successful bid of $7000. He was quoted in the March 17, 1982 front page Coin World story on the sale as being prepared to pay from $20,000 to $25,000 to obtain the coin if it had been necessary. The coin was graded by the American Numismatic Association Certification Service as VF-20.

Tombac - a brass alloy of 88% copper, 12% zinc - was used for the "war-time" 1942 and 1943 dated five-cent pieces as a substitute for the earlier 100% pure nickel planchets as an effort to conserve on nickel. Nickel, a strategically important component of stainless steel, was needed for the production of planes, ships and other military hardware employed in World War II.

Tombac apparently proved unpopular with the public and was replaced with a nickel-chromium plated steel core coin for the 1944 and 1945 issues, after which 100% nickel five-cent coinage was resumed.

The re-emergence of this Canadian rarity rekindles the question of exactly what it represents. Two schools of thought exist - some believe the coin was deliberately struck while others are convinced it's an error in the same class as the famous U.S. 1943 "copper" cents.

Those of the first school, cite the official Royal Canadian Mint (RCM) Report of 1944 as indicating $400 face value,or 8,000, of the coins dated 1944 were struck in late 1943 on tombac planchets and released into circulation early in 1944. Proponents of this theory feel the coins were struck either as business strikes or as patterns later approved for release into circulation. This theory fails to address the question as to why the government would produce patterns of a previously-adopted composition and design, or where the balance of pieces are if they were released into circulation.

Based on the observations of Canadian numismatic researchers, Robert Aaron and Dr. James Haxby, Canadian Coin News (CCN) Editor - Scott McLaren was probably the first to publish opposing theory. In his editorial of March 22, 1982, McLaren declares earlier stories on the 1944 tombac "nickel" appearing in CCN (and Coin World) as "untrue", stating that a 1944 tombac five-cent piece was never intentionally struck by the RCM. He sited press deadlines as the reason CCN's original story was not fully researched and was printed with erroneous information.

According to McLaren, what created the story was a "misreading of the Mint's report for 1943, which explained that roughly $400 worth of 1943 "nickels" had been placed into circulation in the early months of 1944." He explains that it is common practice at the Mint to maintain a small surplus of coins on hand from the previous year that are issued, "while the machinery for the new year's coins is set up." He contends that regular-issue tombac five cent pieces were indeed issued in 1944 but were dated 1943.

According to McLaren, the 1944 tombac five-cent piece is undoubtedly genuine and a probable mint error struck on a tombac planchet that somehow slipped in with the regular steel planchets. While the RCM is well-known for several clandestine issues, the grade of this coin is indicative of its circulating status and virtually confirms it as having been released through normal channels.

If the coin is indeed an error, the scenario is identical to the that which created the 15 highly publicized 1943-P-D-S U.S. "copper" cents. The 1943 "copper"(actually bronze) cents should have been struck on the "war-time" zinc plated steel planchets but a few were inadvertently struck on bronze planchets left in the system from the year before.

Interestingly, the Charlton Standard Catalog of Canadian Coins continues to note that 8,000 1944 tombac five cent pieces were struck and that most "remained unissued and were melted." They incorrectly note that the one public transaction that has taken place (reported in Canadian funds at $9,5000) occurred in 1983 rather than in 1982.

Collectors interested in bidding in the Heritage Numismatic Auctions Inc. Signature Sale may purchase the catalog from Heritage at 100 Highland Park Village, 2nd Floor, Dallas, Texas 75205-9992. Further information on the price of the catalog may be obtained by calling 1-800-US-COINS.

Ken Potter is the official attributor and lister of world doubled dies for the Combined Organizations of Numismatic Error Collectors of America and for the National Collector's Association of Die Doubling. He privately lists U.S. doubled dies and other collectable variety types on both U.S. and world coins in the Variety Coin Register. For more information on either of these clubs, or to learn how to get a variety listed in the Variety Coin Register, send a self-addressed, stamped business-size envelope and $0.52 U.S. postage (or $0.75 Canadian) to Ken Potter, P.O. Box 760232, Lathrup Village, MI 48076-0232.

Ken Potter is the official attributor and lister of world doubled dies for the Combined Organizations of Numismatic Error Collectors of America and for the National Collector's Association of Die Doubling. He privately lists U.S. doubled dies and other collectable variety types on both U.S. and world coins in the Variety Coin Register. For more information on either of these clubs, or to learn how to get a variety listed in the Variety Coin Register, send a self-addressed, stamped business-size envelope and $0.52 U.S. postage (or $0.75 Canadian) to Ken Potter, P.O. Box 760232, Lathrup Village, MI 48076-0232. Contact Ken via e-mail to: Kpotter256@aol.com, or visit his Educational Image Gallery located at: http://www.uscents.com/potter/.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The answer is "C".

"Tombacs" are Canadian 5 cent pieces made from that material during WWII. >>

Dude, you're old!

image >>

That's nothing. I remember way back to the days of the Great War, like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on ‘em. "Give me five bees for a quarter," you’d say. Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options

Hello,
    My father is the owner of the one and only 1944 Tombac Canadian 5 Cent Piece (AKA Tombac Nickel.) As you may have read in the April 17th issue of the Canadian Coin News, he will be putting it up for auction on eBay this month. If you have an interest in following the auction, please send an email to tombacnickel@gmail.com to be added to the launch announcement list--you will be provided a link to the auction page.
    You can also follow @TombacNickel on Twitter for more info.
    Thanks

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay? I would have thought that a major auction house would have been the way to go for a unique (literally) coin like that...

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@disarray said:
    Hello,
    My father is the owner of the one and only 1944 Tombac Canadian 5 Cent Piece (AKA Tombac Nickel.) As you may have read in the April 17th issue of the Canadian Coin News, he will be putting it up for auction on eBay this month. If you have an interest in following the auction, please send an email to tombacnickel@gmail.com to be added to the launch announcement list--you will be provided a link to the auction page.
    You can also follow @TombacNickel on Twitter for more info.
    Thanks

Cool twitter page. Good luck with the sale.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

A fancy name for Brass. The extra trace elements make it "Tombac."

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't do Twitter. Is there s short version of the story on how he found it?

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭✭

Wait............. ARSENIC?! :o I'd better check my collection & quarantine them! ;)

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's a Henway?
    We should get Tom back to tell us.

:p

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2019 4:21AM

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@disarray... Welcome aboard and thank you for the alert..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always thought it was the reverse of a Jefferson Nickel.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2018 7:37PM

I don't get into Canadian coins...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file