Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Comments

• trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    The China Mint has issued Coin Show Commemorative Pandas in silver, palladium, gold and platinum (not sure if there are any bimetallic silver/gold) with varying sizes from fractional to multiple troy ounce size. To me, they are the sleeper series of the Panda issues as they have very limited mintage and not everybody know of their existence. I do not have the complete list but on the 1 troy ounce size gold and platinum that I collect, here is the list (1 platinum and 11 gold):

1987 China */1000 999 1 Pt PF Panda Sino-American Friendship - New York
    1987 China */2000 999 1 Au PF Panda Sino-American Friendship - New York
    1987 China */3000 999 1 Au PF Panda Sino-American Friendship - New Orleans
    1987 China */3000 999 1 Au PF Panda San Francisco International Coin Exposition
    1987 China */5000 999 1 Au PF Panda Sino-Japanese Friendship (Tong Tong)
    1988 China */1000 999 1 Au PF Panda American Numismatic Association Convention - Cincinnati
    1988 China */2000 999 1 Au PF Panda Chinese-German Friendship - Munich International Coin Fair
    1988 China */0500 999 1 Au PF Panda Hong Kong Coin Exposition
    1988 China */1500 999 1 Au PF Panda Sino-American Friendship - New Orleans
    1988 China */0400 999 1 Au PF Panda Sino-Swiss Friendship - Basel International Coin Week (Au)
    1988 China */0600 999 1 Au PF Panda Sino-Swiss Friendship - Basel International Coin Week (Pt - error)
    1990 China */0550 999 1 Au PF Panda Zurich International Coin Exposition

year / issuing country / mintage / purity / size (troy ounce) / composition / description
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • While these are very low mintages, and could be sleepers, they are relatively cheap because of a lack of demand. There are so many "regular" issued pandas to collect, as well as proof versions that these more obscure coins/medals kinda get pushed to the back burner for alot of panda enthusiasts.
  • Key point here though, is they are not coins, but medals.. Many collectors will only pursue coins.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't there one issued for a Long Beach show?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

• << <i>Wasn't there one issued for a Long Beach show? >>

There was a silver 5 oz medal from '87, not aware of any gold pandas though..

<< <i>Key point here though, is they are not coins, but medals.. Many collectors will only pursue coins. >>

Yep, they are medals and NOT coins. FWIW, the platinum Panda 1 troy ounce coin series ran from 1987 - 1990 (4 years) is equally NOT sought after like the coin show commems (or even the 1 year run 1989 1 troy ounce palladium Panda). image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)

• << <i>

<< <i>Yep, they are medals and NOT coins. FWIW, the platinum Panda 1 troy ounce coin series ran from 1987 - 1990 (4 years) is equally NOT sought after like the coin show commems (or even the 1 year run 1989 1 troy ounce palladium Panda). image >>

True, but that'll change before long I reckon. On a different note, I find the 1990 proof panda trozpt ;0)----< to be one of the finest panda coins there are..

<< <i>True, but that'll change before long I reckon. On a different note, I find the 1990 proof panda trozpt ;0)----< to be one of the finest panda coins there are.. >>

Sure is ...

trozau (troy ounce gold)