Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Will PSA identify 1989 Fleer Variations?

Comments

• Options
    I swear Nick just stalks these forums waiting to add "100", "200", "3,456", etc. to different threads. image

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The threads with 99, 199, 299, etc....just seem to catch my eye. image
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I finally got around to opening the rest of my rack case and noticed something. Unless I missed them I didn't get a single Treadway card, either w/ target or w/o. There was 1 in the cello box but none in a case of racks. That seems odd to me.

Chris >>

I've had some weird occurances too. The collation seems to be the same 99% of the time, and then will randomly be way off and you'll get 4-5 of the same card in a half dozen packs.

Gotta love Fleer.
  • Options
    Found the Beckett mention of the Marlboro error. Anyone have a clear Marlboro error pic?

Beckett Article

Variation discovered on Big Unit RC
    Nov 12 1999 9:02AM

Beckett Grading Services today discovered a variation of Randy Johnson's 1989 Fleer Rookie Card (#381). One variation has a Marlboro ad in the background over Johnson's left shoulder. The other variety has it airbrushed. It is not known at what stage of production the card manufacturer airbrushed the cigarette ad. The Johnson card lists for $1.50 in the December issue of Beckett Baseball Card Monthly.

The 1989 Fleer set was initially made popular by an expletive that appeared on the card of Billy Ripken (#616). Much media attention, including a blurb that appeared in USA Today, created a frenzy for the card. In subsequent print runs, the wording would be covered up three different ways creating a total of four variations.

The set, which features a Rookie Card of Ken Griffey Jr., has 10 other variations that are not of consequence to collectors.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Not of consequence!!???

Great. Now I feel like a loser. haha
  • Options
    To prove of what little "consequence" these are to me... Anyone want these? Free to the first person that claims them:

Orsulak (white) x2, Trillo (right) x2, Brookens/Heath error backs 1 each, Heep (San Antonio) x2, Hernandez (Red Spot) x2, Boggs (black mark) x1, Treadway (no target) x1, Ashby (Right) x1, Moses (Phoenix) x1, Allen (Syosset) x1, Varsho x1.
  • Options
    It's ok. This quote caused me to burn my other FF varaitions to hide the truth. Your welcome Beckett. imageIn subsequent print runs, the wording would be covered up three different ways creating a total of four variations. What's funny is before this article was published their own price guides listed 5 versions. image
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Had some nice luck this afternoon. Returned home to a rack case, and in 2/3 boxes was a Ripen on front of one of the racks. They're black boxes, but I'll still take them. Also got a Sheffield/Sandberg rack. All in all pretty happy. Going to open them later to see what else is there, but since the Ripkens are BB's, I figure there won't be too much else.
  • Options
    you guys are jerks... just spent my $55 plus shipping for a rack case!
  • Options
    My case should be here tomorrow or Thursday image
  • Options

<< <i>you guys are jerks... just spent my $55 plus shipping for a rack case! >>

The first step is admitting you have a problem image
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Just busted 2 cello boxes from BBCE. In the second pack, I pulled a Heath w/Brookens back, so I got kind of excited, thinking they were from an earlier production run. But alas, NO BILLY RIPKENS of any kind. I think it may have been just poor collation since I didn't pull any Chris Sabos either. I also had my eye out for Checklist #654 but pulled none of them.

3 Griffeys
    3 Big Unit (total black)

not quite $32 worth of fun, but oh well.
  • Options
    Bleh, sorry. I had the same thing happen. It sucks for sure, but then you remember you only spent $25 and you'll feel much better image
  • Options
    Here is an enlarged view of a 1989 Fleer Padres/Giants Checklist with the positions listed.
    I've opened a ton of this stuff over the years and it's the only one I've ever seen.

• Options
    My case should be here tomorrow.
  • Options

<< <i>Here is an enlarged view of a 1989 Fleer Padres/Giants Checklist with the positions listed.
    I've opened a ton of this stuff over the years and it's the only one I've ever seen.

>>

Thanks !!! 1st one have ever seen.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I bought another rack case yesterday !!!
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    So it actually exists!!!??!
  • Options

It definitely does exist.
    I bought some unopened 1989 Fleer wax, rack & cello from BBCE several years ago, and it came from that batch.
    All of the other checklists were corrected.
    I do recall that all of the Bill Ripken's and Randy Johnson's from that batch were of the corrected variety as well.

Tim
  • Options
    Crazy. Thanks for posting that Tim. It's cool to actually see one. I kind of glazed over looking at all the checklists when I open packs because I really thought it didn't exist. Might have to go back through and look...
  • Options
    Just bought 3 more rack cases, so I have 4 coming !!!
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Crazy. Thanks for posting that Tim. It's cool to actually see one. I kind of glazed over looking at all the checklists when I open packs because I really thought it didn't exist. Might have to go back through and look... >>

Me too! There goes my evening.

Thanks for posting that pic, very cool.
  • Options
    I'm still waiting for my 5 rack cases and 1 cello case to come in. Should be here this week.
  • Options
    Still waiting on my rack case too.

And another thanks to whoever posted that pic of the CL. My evening will also be spent watching the Twins/White Sox game and searching through about 5000 89 Fleer cards.
  • Options
    All my commons are gone, but I've looked for those CL/position cards and so far never seen 1 in the 70,000+ 89 Fleer I've busted.

Maybe I'll get 1 in the 4 rack cases I have coming....yea.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Ok, resurrecting this post.
    I got my 20 box wax case and things look promising. My first pack- Heath/Brookens error. Second pack- Randy Johnson partial coverage of sign. Now just a gazillion more packs to go...
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Where did you get your case?
  • Options
    That's a good sign for that case... good luck!

I just sent in a to PSA a few of the errors - Johnson partial sign, Heath/Brookens, Brookens/Heath, Treadway target and a couple FF's. Most of those will never be all that valuable, but I'd like to have 10's of each for the collection.
  • Options
    This guy had them on ebay with a crazy BIN and of course it didn't sell. I sent him an ebay message with a lowball BIN with shipping and he accepted. He's up in Washington. He had it in his downstairs basement (that kinda scared me-thinking water damage, mold, etc), but the case is pristine.
  • Options
    Another pack had the Ripken FF error, but the Treadway and so far, all of the checklists are the correct version.
  • Options
    Look for the dot next to the players name too. I remember somone pointed out a black dot on here. Unsure if printing flaw or error. Dont recall the guys names though.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I have a Billy Ripken saw cut/scribble on the top of an unopened cello pack that I found in my box from the baseball card kid (you can totally see the saw cut indentation on the front of the pack. It's weird as I had 2 of the saw cut/scribble version and the rest were the black box versions.
  • Options

<< <i>I have a Billy Ripken saw cut/scribble on the top of an unopened cello pack that I found in my box from the baseball card kid (you can totally see the saw cut indentation on the front of the pack. It's weird as I had 2 of the saw cut/scribble version and the rest were the black box versions. >>

Awesome !! Congrats.

I have also found saw cuts with other versions in the same case. Apparently they tossed them in to get rid of them?

Picture available? If it's for sale or trade let me know !!
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have a Billy Ripken saw cut/scribble on the top of an unopened cello pack that I found in my box from the baseball card kid (you can totally see the saw cut indentation on the front of the pack. It's weird as I had 2 of the saw cut/scribble version and the rest were the black box versions. >>

Awesome !! Congrats.

I have also found saw cuts with other versions in the same case. Apparently they tossed them in to get rid of them?

Picture available? If it's for sale or trade let me know !! >>

It's hard to see the saw cut on the scan, but here it is:

Did you get the other rack packs I sent out? I shipped them priority mail.

• Options
    Awesome! Great pickup.
  • Options

<< <i>

>>

No never did. Assumed you changed your mind. I'll let you know when they arrive.

Can you tell what Scribble version it is? Appears to be the Loop, possibly F.
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

No never did. Assumed you changed your mind. I'll let you know when they arrive.

Can you tell what Scribble version it is? Appears to be the Loop, possibly F. >>

Let me know if they do show up. I don't collect the Ripken variation, so I have no use for the racks. The cello on the other hand, I'm keeping.
  • Options
    Cool. I'll let you know.

I have a Saw FF and Saw White Scribble on rack and years back before I was as involved, I passed on a Saw Black Scribble on rack that ended for $20 or $40. Ugh.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    For what ever it's worth, the factory set that I opened contained...

Bill Ripken - "Black Box Dot"
    Randy Johnson - "Marlboro ad completely blacked out"
    Jeff Treadway - "No Target"
    Checklists- "No Positions"
    Henderson checklist- "Hendersor on Back"
    Mike Heath - "Mike Heath Back"
    Tom Brookens - "Tom Brookens Back"

• Options
    I have two more rack cases coming in soon. Hopefully I'll pull a white out Ripken one of these days.

• Options
    Who has some new stuff to share?

I'm still waiting on grades back from the several 1989F errors I sent to PSA. I really hope they follow-through and slab with notations as they promised.

I've seen a lot of 1989F stuff on the bay lately. Seems like more and more of the Johnson variations are making it into PSA holders.
  • Options

<< <i>I have two more rack cases coming in soon. Hopefully I'll pull a white out Ripken one of these days. >>

Good Luck- Never have pulled one in the many cases I've opened. Nor do I know of anyone who has pulled one.
    Never seen one on a rack either and only once did a guy say he had one on a cello, but I never rec'd a pic.

slantycouch- Nothing special here. My 6 box wax case had BBox and Black Scribble.

Bought a White Scribble and then noticed the top right corner flared up/miscut. Need to find out how that will affect the grade. ?

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I have busted 3 rack cases of 89 Fleer since the last time I posted on this thread. One from Higbees had no Ripkens and the Johnson complete blackout. The one I got from BBCE and the one my wife got me for my b-day from somewhere all had the black box Ripken and the blackout Johnson. The BBCE box was very easy to find out which Johnson was in the case. The first pack I saw from the first box had him on top.
  • Options
    Lost a cello case by a buck or so this weekend. Ended pretty cheap. 8 box cello case $80. Said free shipping too !! *shrugs*
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    You guys are freakin sick busting open cases of this overproduced product.

On a side note, I couldnt take it anymore and have a 89 Fleer rack case and a couple of 89 Fleer cello boxes coming in myself. Also getting another pack of 80/81 basketball in, hoping to get a Magic/Bird RC (Got a minor Bird last time..C'mon Steve...shoot me a Bird)
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    I just got a call from PSA telling me that (even though I had written word from one of their reps to the contrary) they weren't going to recognize the Curt Young variations.

The good news is she said all of the other variations I submitted will be recognized.

The bad news is I can't remember what I submitted. Haha.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Got my stuff in today

Rack case-Have not opened any yet, but did have Randy Johnson Black Box variation on the front of a rack. Also got a Griffey rack and a Biggio rack.

2 Cello Boxes- Biggio, Ryan, Clemens on top

I opened one cello box- Zero Billy Ripkens, had 1 griffey and a Randy Johnson with what appears to be the "red line" variation.

Does anyone know which of the Johnson variations appear to be harder to get?
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options

<< <i>

Does anyone know which of the Johnson variations appear to be harder to get? >>

There's apparently many variations of this card. Although some I have heard about appear to be printing defects (circle in billboard etc) Here's what I know of- There's more but I dont know much about them.

Rarest 1st-

With the Marlboro words visable
    Marlboro shaded in green
    Marlboro shaded in Red
    Black Box within Billboard. (rest of the Billboard is a lighter Black)
    Full Black
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    The Johnson ad partially obscured has a blackbox covering all but a small round area at top right of Marlboro sign.

Edit to add shameless eBay spam showing card with full ad and partially obscured.
  • Options
    Here's the only pic I have-

Marlboro ad but not clear (heard there is a clearer version)
    Box in Billboard
    Full Black

imageimageimage