Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Will PSA identify 1989 Fleer Variations?

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Those are verified Donovan? >>

According to a Yahoo E/V group, they are.

I used to only look for the positions listed on C-lists (never pulled one) and didn't know/check for the Hendersor.

Surprised by PSA slabbing the varieties. Cool.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Which varieties will they now recognize? Are you referring to the Ripken? The Randy Johnsons I pulled yesterday with the green tint black out with a circle have intrigued me now. Mailed off a sub today but did not include these cards because I did not think PSA would slab them as the correct variation.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>On the Green-I heard there is green and green with a circle. >>

Donovan, where are you? Two of the Johnson's had the green tint with a circle. If I can get to my scanner after supper I will post scans of all three variations I pulled.

BTW, I pulled quite a few of the error cards on the list that was posted. >>

Here's some Marlboro variations posted on a Beckett thread. I tried to link it but was unsucessfull. It is on page 12, titled 1989 Fleer Randy Johnson Variations (Close Up Scans)

BOX-OUT, Dark green:

BOX-OUT, Red:

BOX-OUT Red w/grey circle:

PARTIAL BOX-OUT, Letters still partially visible:

MARLBORO, 1st version:

MARLBORO, Green tint (white area tinted dark green):

GREEN SCRIBBLE, thick, crude line through word only:
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I just spent 30 minutes on the beckett website looking for the Johnson link. That site pisses me off more than any other site on the internet. I can't find it. I can't figure out how to search for a topic. What a pathetic excuse for a site. If someone has found it could they link it for me? Thanks.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options

<< <i>I just spent 30 minutes on the beckett website looking for the Johnson link. That site pisses me off more than any other site on the internet. I can't find it. I can't figure out how to search for a topic. What a pathetic excuse for a site. If someone has found it could they link it for me? Thanks.

Chris >>

I think on the main page go to the section titled Latest Disussions. Find a baseball topic. Then go to page 12

Link?

$5 says the link wont work.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Which varieties will they now recognize? Are you referring to the Ripken? The Randy Johnsons I pulled yesterday with the green tint black out with a circle have intrigued me now. Mailed off a sub today but did not include these cards because I did not think PSA would slab them as the correct variation. >>

Yeah I don't know if they'll ever recognize all the Johnson variations. I asked specifically about the Throws Rig/Throws Right, Different Backs, Target/No Target, etc. cards. I guess it's a good place to start...
  • Options
    Is it possible to slightly inflate the prices of unopened 1989 Fleer because of this thread? What website are these boxes being sold at? I may be interested in a few boxes myself.
  • Options

<< <i>Is it possible to slightly inflate the prices of unopened 1989 Fleer because of this thread? What website are these boxes being sold at? I may be interested in a few boxes myself. >>

Unlikely. Looking to profit from 89 Fleer? If so, quit now. image

Within this thread, a few different locations are mentioned. I wont flatout say based on question #1.

Just ordered a rack case and wax box !!
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    As far as "investing" in unopened wax or racks from this set, I bought my 6 boxes last week for entertainment purposes only. I happeened to end up with a few of the key cards (Griffey, Ripken FF and Randy Johnson) that were submittable. The extra key cards will be going on eBay. If I happen to get one or two 10's from the 6 I sent in, it should more than cover my expense. The extras I sell on eBay should end up as bonus money.

Plus, I love building sets. Should be able to complete 2 sets.
  • Options
    Just thought I would ad this auction to thread. IMO, this card is mislabeled. It is labeled as "Marlboro ad on scoreboard" when it is actually the ad with blackbox line through it.

Johnson PSA 9

Edit to add: Identical card with different label as the first one posted above.
  • Options

<< <i>As far as "investing" in unopened wax or racks from this set, I bought my 6 boxes last week for entertainment purposes only. I happeened to end up with a few of the key cards (Griffey, Ripken FF and Randy Johnson) that were submittable. The extra key cards will be going on eBay. If I happen to get one or two 10's from the 6 I sent in, it should more than cover my expense. The extras I sell on eBay should end up as bonus money.

Plus, I love building sets. Should be able to complete 2 sets. >>

Let me know if you're missing anything for your sets. I've got about 3,000 cards here from the boxes I've opened and I don't know what to do with them.
  • Options
    Oh and also - if you've got the time and energy, for the variations we listed here, would you mind listing the type of each that you got from your case or boxes? I started a spreadsheet showing what I've gotten from my rips so far. I'd like to keep adding to it.

The most interesting thing I've found so far is that I got corrected versions of "throws right" and "throws left" in the same box as the FF error, but have found "throws rig"/"throws lef" error versions of those cards from a sealed case with no FF's. I'm not sure what to make of that, other than it makes me more of a believer that cards were printed at different locations.

Edit: and yeah I'm addicted too at this point. I've got a rack case, a cello case and a few different wax boxes all on the way...
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    How do you guys feel when you're ripping 89 Fleer now? I've bought a few random boxes and a couple of rack cases over the past year or so and it can be a little depressing IMO. Yeah, when you pull a Griffey it's pretty cool. Or I'm sure if you get a rare version of the FF (which I never have) it would be pretty exciting.
    But other than that, I just find myself constantly thinking "Wow! I remember when this card was the s**t!"....and now of course it's worth absolutely nothing.
    Ricky Jordan, Cameron Drew, Luis Medina, Sandy Alomar Jr.....I could go on and on. It sometimes makes me chuckle thinking how excited I was as a 13 yr old when I would pull one of those guys.

I guess there is a fine line between pleasant nostalgia and depressing reality.
  • Options
    I ordered a few 89F wax boxes from BBCE over the weekend and just got word from Steve that they're out of stock. Thanks for nothing, guys. image
  • Options

<< <i>I ordered a few 89F wax boxes from BBCE over the weekend and just got word from Steve that they're out of stock. Thanks for nothing, guys. image >>

I ordered a rack case and wax box on Sat from BBCE !!! Said mine are coming. Glad I got some coming. It's been awhile since I ripped some.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I just ordered a rack case and a cello and wax box. It didn't mention anything about being out of stock.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options

<< <i>I just ordered a rack case and a cello and wax box. It didn't mention anything about being out of stock.

Chris >>

Maybe they didnt update their site yet as of now the 1989 Fleer wax is gone.

Good luck on the 89 F, post your results !!!
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I just ordered a rack case and a cello and wax box. It didn't mention anything about being out of stock.

Chris >>

Maybe they didnt update their site yet as of now the 1989 Fleer wax is gone.

Good luck on the 89 F, post your results !!! >>

I definately will. I'm hoping for a rack that has Griffey, Johnson, and an FF card all on the front. I'm sure it'll happen. image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options

Chris >>

It didn't when I ordered last night either... image
  • Options
    Phew. I ordered mine on Sat. Do I hear $20, going once....image
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Phew. I ordered mine on Sat. Do I hear $20, going once....image >>

Haha image

As tempting as that is, we are still talking about 1989 Fleer here!
  • Options
    Just sent off a couple 1989F's for grading. Wish me luck!
  • Options
    Let me guess.......Canseco 40/40, and Wade Boggs For the Record?
  • Options
    Haha nope.

Lance Blankenship ROOKIE and Cannon Arms Bobby Bonilla/Chris Sabo!!!!!1!!!111

Booyah!
  • Options
    cool. Those are both low pop 10s. Good luck!
  • Options
    Haha thanks.
  • Options
    Here's some cool racks I recently bought. Hopefully you'll get something similar. image

The FF is on both with semi stars. They'll have to do until I can get a FF/Johnson/Griffey.

FF with 2 inserts (one is Sabo)

FF, Baines,Strawberry

Here's the closest I have gotten to a FF/Griffey/Johnson

Sheffield/Griffey/Johnson

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Got a single cello box today:

Ripken: FF
    Vandeberg: Left
    Ashby: Right
    Johnson: Total Blackout
    Romine: Batting
    Curt Young: No S
    Hernandez: Red Spot
    Orsulak: White Spot
    Moses: Phoenix
    Trillo: Right
    Neil Allen: Syosset
    Varsho: No Target
    Brookens: Heath Back
    Heath: Brookens Back
    Boggs: Spot on Back
    Heep: San Antonio
    Treadway: No Target

And one cello with Bonds on top, which if my math is correct, means there's a Griffey inside. May hold that one just for s's & giggles.
  • Options
    Was this from BBCE? I just got mine today and haven't had a chance to open it yet.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options
    Yup!
  • Options

<< <i>Got a single cello box today:

Vandeberg: Left
    Ashby: Right
    Johnson: Total Blackout
    Curt Young: No S
    Hernandez: Red Spot
    Orsulak: White Spot
    Moses: Phoenix
    Trillo: Right
    Neil Allen: Syosset
    Varsho: No Target
    Brookens: Heath Back
    Heath: Brookens Back
    Boggs: Spot on Back
    Treadway: No Target

And one cello with Bonds on top, which if my math is correct, means there's a Griffey inside. May hold that one just for s's & giggles.

>>

Varsho: No Target ?
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Yessir - it's on there!
  • Options

<< <i>Yessir - it's on there! >>

What's it on? Do you have a list somewhere that you are going off of?

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options
    I meant it's on the list of cards I posted at 4:53 yesterday... the post Donovan quoted above.
  • Options

<< <i>I meant it's on the list of cards I posted at 4:53 yesterday... the post Donovan quoted above. >>

I need to get the list you have of 1989 Fleer Bill Ripken errors with corrections.

I have never seen or heard of a Varsho Target error. I assume it's the same as Treadway. Location of target?

Only error I have (and without a correction) is the batting average of .303, should be 302

*edited for spelling and punctuation.
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I meant it's on the list of cards I posted at 4:53 yesterday... the post Donovan quoted above. >>

I need to get the list you have of 1989 Fleer Bill Ripken errors with corrections.

I have never seen or Heard of a Varsho Target error. I assume it's the same as Treadway. Location of target?

Only error I have (and without a correction) is the battinh average of .303, should be 302 >>

Ah, I misunderstood your earlier post.

I read about this on another site (or an old Beckett?? I can't remember). I assumed it was verified. I could be totally wrong. Don't take my word for it. Sorry for the confusion too...

In a related story, I finally picked up a Treadway target today. Excited to see it.

• Options
    Actually, the more I think about it, I swear I actually saw a scan of the Varsho with target. Unless I'm completely dilusional, it was below the bottom color line, in the middle.
  • Options
    If you ever comes across a pic of it, please LMK.

Never seen it listed in any E/V books (SCD plus 2 other collector published) or E/V groups list it etc.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Will do. It's driving me nuts now. I either need to find it or find what the hell I'm thinking of that's not it.
  • Options
    Had good luck today with a wax box from a random seller:

Vandeberg: Throws Lef
    Ashby: Throws Rig
    Johnson: Black box red outline
    Curt Young: n/a
    Hernandez: Red spot
    Orsulak: White spot
    Moses: n/a
    Trillo: Throws Rig
    Neil Allen: Sarasota
    Varsho: n/a
    Brookens: Heath back
    Heath: n/a
    Boggs: n/a
    Treadway: No target
  • Options
    I have 19 lbs of 89 Fleer from BBCE waiting for me at home ! 1 rack case and a wax box. I'll post the results when my boys and wife allow me the time. image
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    One rack box so far- No Bill's. No notable errors but this rack ! Wish it was two FF cards instead of 2 Alomars.

Wax box pulled a FF and this "red" Johnson.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Gotta a rack case coming from BBCE. Should be here Thursday.
  • Options
    C'mon Thursday !

My rack case was from BBCE. It is the grocery racks in the red lettered cases.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    2 cello boxes from BBCE should be here today or tomorrow. I'll keep you all posted.
  • Options
    The guy in the upper corner is a joker.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I finally got around to opening the rest of my rack case and noticed something. Unless I missed them I didn't get a single Treadway card, either w/ target or w/o. There was 1 in the cello box but none in a case of racks. That seems odd to me.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options
    Hmm. Once I opened a cello case and it had 2-3 McGwires and a few other players the colaltion was off. My rack case I'm opening now the collation is weird too. Pulled a rack with 2 of the same on top and opened one this morning and had 2 of the same cards in there. I did get a Treadway- corrected.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    One of the rack boxes from the case seemed like it had 10 Smoltz cards. There were 2 packs from that box w/ Smoltz on the top and one pack w/ 2 Smoltz cards in the same pack. They were everywhere!
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭