Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My avatar... the "Holey Gold Hat".

Comments

• Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    Those are awesome Lord M

The Indian Princess and the Newfie $2 were my faves off the bat, but as i scrolled down, I kind of have a thing for all of them image

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They look better on the hat than they do in my scans, but oh, well.

It's kind of hard not to love gold, even holey gold.

These are the only gold coins I own, with the exception of a slabbed PCGS MS64 1901 British half-sovereign with the Terner pedigree, which resides in my daughter's 1901 Victorian type set. It is unholed, obviously.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Cool stuff. That is an excellent selection and variety of gold coins. I would imagine putting that together was challenging and fun.image

For some reason I find the older ones to be the more interesting to me.
    Witty sig line currently under construction. Thank you for your patience.
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    You could always put a hole through a slab!image

You get to put the hobby of kings right onto your head this way.

I'd love to know the history behind that solidus, who put the hole in and when.. I'm sure it's made a grand tour
  • Options

<< <i> You could always put a hole through a slab! >>

I did that once, with a slabbed holey Canadian half dollar. But it looked dumb, so I cracked it out and put the coin on the vest.

This is just the Holey Gold HAT- it doesn't begin to cover what is on both sides of the Holey Coin Vest!

That is an even longer project, for another time.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Rob,

I can't wait to see the "Holey Vest"image
    " I just checked in , Just to see what condition, My condition was in." Kenny Rogers and the 1st. Edition......
  • Options
    No Dahlonaga's Rob? Shame on you, being from Ga. and all. I think I saw a holed D on ebay not long ago.
  • Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    lordm, what's with the memorial on each photo? did i miss something?
    figglehorn
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>lordm, what's with the memorial on each photo? did i miss something? >>

I think it's just to show the size of each coin compared to something everything knows.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options

<< <i> No Dahlonaga's Rob? Shame on you, being from Ga. and all. I think I saw a holed D on ebay not long ago. >>

In time. In due time. I want one, for sure.

<< <i> lordm, what's with the memorial on each photo? did i miss something? >>

Yep, it's just to show scale. I did it for the world coins, so I figured I would go ahead and do it for the US coins, as well, even though most folks in the US (coin folks, anyway), are familiar with their sizes.

I also did the Memorial cent for scale because the scale of the bigger pictures varies- you'll notice my gold dollars and my gold quarter-eagles (and most everything else, for that matter) are the same size in the big pictures.

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    very nice!! the netherlands ducat is probably my favorite

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Great presentation
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    Eliasburg Holy Gold... Mnnnnmmm... image ...
  • Options
    That one must've been in Louis Eliasberg's "junkbox". image

• Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Very cool Lord M. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    Very nice! Very much nice!

For those of us who aren't fortunate enough to have seen the Holey Gold Hat up close and personal, how about a shot of the hat itself? I'd like to see how you've attached the coins, and get a better sense of the overall appearance - although your avatar does give an idea of what it looks like from afar.

Once more, nicely done! image
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All you need know is a gold hat.

Al
  • Options

<< <i>For those of us who aren't fortunate enough to have seen the Holey Gold Hat up close and personal, how about a shot of the hat itself? I'd like to see how you've attached the coins, and get a better sense of the overall appearance - although your avatar does give an idea of what it looks like from afar. >>

As you wish.

Here 'tis, fuzz and dust and all. It's been nearly two years since I went to a show, and I only wear the ensemble on the bourse floor at shows, obviously.

The coins are attached with fishing swivels. This allows one to remove them, rearrange them, sell, swap, or scan them, without having to sew them on again each time. The holey-coin-garment idea is far from original to me- others have done it for centuries- but I pioneered the fishing swivel innovation, as far as I know. Sewing is not my strong suit.

The beads are some cool semiprecious gemstone beads made out of stuff like malachite, moss agate, jade, etc. I bought a little assortment of them at a science museum gift shop, where they were shockingly, astonishingly cheap- something like five or six bucks for the whole assortment, tops. I figured they added to the whole thing. Just liked 'em.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty cool - thanks for sharing all the pics.

I find it interesting that the 1881 Newfoundland 2 dollar has two denominations - two hundred cents and one hundred pence. I never saw that on a coin before.

And I also hope you are looking for a Charlotte piece since you spent some time in North Carolina....

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing that upclose and personal pic.
    Here at LSU we have the slogan for our Coach Les Miles "Fear The Hat" ... because of the way he wears his cap high on his head and wins.

I have a slogan for you LordM .........

"LOVE THE HAT"

imageimage
  • Options
    Cameonut- I do indeed hope for one piece each from Charlotte and Dahlonega one day.

• Options
    Very cool hat! I like it.
    I guess all your fishing buddies like having you along, that way you never run out of leaders!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Jim
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    now... just afew hand tied flies and you would really have something...

In all seriousness... terrific hat

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    My hat is off to you LordM. Take Care, jws.
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    Amazing! I have seen many holey charm bracelets, keychains, watch fobs, vests, and sundry other numismatic paraphernalia, but never anything so grand as your Holey Gold Hat.

Thank you, sir, for posting the photo!
  • Options

Hey, I haven't even BEGUN to show the Holey Coin Vest!

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Do I count 13 coins?

Oh noes!!!

Unlucky!!!

You need at least one more!

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that one piece Zeno Mostel???image
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Notice the wide brim? A very useful attribute in case something becomes detached.
  • Options

<< <i>Notice the wide brim? A very useful attribute in case something becomes detached. >>

Good eye..I wonder if he would get a little action if he wore it by a lakeimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Notice the wide brim? A very useful attribute in case something becomes detached. >>

Good eye..I wonder if he would get a little action if he wore it by a lakeimage >>

Or down on Rush street in downtown Chicago....but I aint talking about fishing!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Good eye..I wonder if he would get a little action if he wore it by a lakeimage >>

Or down on Rush street in downtown Chicago....but I aint talking about fishing! >>

I miss Ahookaimage
  • Options

<< <i>Do I count 13 coins? >>

Very perceptive of you.

I noticed that, too.

But in fact there are 15 coins on the Holey Gold Hat.

There is another Ottoman Turkish piece, but it's fake- probably made for costume jewelry. And a 1787 British sixpence that somebody gilded, perhaps to pass it as a half-guinea piece. I didn't scan those two because they aren't really gold coins- just "sham" gold filling extra spots on the hat.

I used to also have a holey 19th century imitation of a 1790s Spade guinea (in brass- a gaming counter, no doubt), that I would shine up all nice and gold-looking before a show. Dunno what happened to it. I must have given it away.

• Options
    Newp 12/18/08 (now I gotta sell some stuff to pay for it!)

This has an important pedigree for holeys, being from D. Thigpen, who's the true "King Of Holey Coins", though a lot of people have stuck that title on me just 'cause I happen to wear mine. Thiggy was selling some holey gold on the BST for charity, and I didn't have a $5. I'd have felt good about buying this one even if it wasn't going to a charitable cause.

Hats off to you, Thiggy! image (Pun intended.)

I've got the $5- now I need to get a $10 and a $20 someday, to round out my US gold holeys. Need a Charlotte and Dahlonega coin, too. Thiggy had an 1851-C gold dollar up for sale but I just couldn't afford it right now.