Home Metal Detecting
Options

I went to a ghost town! (But not to detect)

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
I went to Bodie, CA last week to look around-- it's not abandoned, it's actually more of a tourist trap than anything, but it's still very cool. This caught my eye in one of the display cases:

1/2 oz gold button

Some of the town...

It's worth a trip out there for sure, it's near Yosemite.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting... would be fun to MD that area.. with a TDI... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    INFO: http://www.bodie.com/dir.asp

State Highway 270. Drive 10 miles until the paved road ends, then continue on for the last 3 miles of an unpaved dirt road

what to take for a day at BODIE: http://www.bodie.com/qa.asp#daytrip

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bodie is great. I was there with the wife just last month. Here's a pic or two from the trip...

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the pics, Cladinator! image

Now, the question is, can we detect in the town of Bodie? I think the answer is no, but you have to realize, what's left of Bodie is only about 5% of the town. Can you detect in the rugged rocky outskirts? Probably, but it'd be a three man job-- one man to be a driver for drop off and pick ups, the other to go out and detect. I would NOT detect in that area alone, I think it's too dangerous.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now, the question is, can we detect in the town of Bodie? >>

Bodie is a State Historical Park so the answer is yes, you can detect there. The catch is you are going to spend the night in jail, lose your equipment and pay a sizable fine so I'd recommend against trying it. image

The surrounding property is both privately owned and national forest. You can detect the national forest area as much as you want. The private property you'll need to get the owner's permission first. The surrounding area of Bodie is about as inhospitable and rugged there is in the central high sierras. If you do this bring loads of water, some sort of small survival pack, GOOD maps and some protection (no I don't mean condoms). The area is home to black bear, cougars and coyotes...all of which I'd like not to have a run in with alone in the mountains. When I'm up there I've got a S&W .357 with 180gr cast lead flat points loaded in it and that's probably as small as you'd want to go for the larger 4 legged threats up there. Firearms are ok in national forest but not in state historic parks and for private property the owner has to give you the ok to carry.

There are old tailings piles all over that area of the sierras that I've always thought would be cool to detect. In fact last month I saw two guys detecting one pile that's just off the side of 395, a short bit past the Bodie turn off.