Home Metal Detecting

1st Indian with my new detector

Made it three nights in a row at the campground site and battled the mosquito's again, no silver tonight. Best finds were a 1906 indian and a 1911 wheatie, only found one other wheatie near the shore line but it was so badly corroded I couldn't read the date. Also slipped on a rock near the shore and heard my ankle creak a little, think I will be feeling it tomorrow in my step. Here's a picture of the cleaned up Indian ( I was frying up some of the other wheaties I found this week and threw this one in without taking an as dug shot):

imageimage

Nothing spectacular about it, but it is the 12th indian head penny I have dug and its the 12th different year one I have dug! No repeats, now have a run of 1900, 1902, 1903, 1904, 1905 & 1906, now if I can find a 1901 next time. Think I will wait a week or so and let the air temperatures cool down and the wind to pick before I go back to the site- the mosquitos are thick and seem to have no fear of the bug spray- used a whole can up in three days and still got eaten alive. With the cooler weather I should be able to get closer to the woods and also the work the shoreling better, we shall see if there is anything else good left to dig up there....HH

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Made it three nights in a row at the campground site and battled the mosquito's again, no silver tonight. Best finds were a 1906 indian and a 1911 wheatie, only found one other wheatie near the shore line but it was so badly corroded I couldn't read the date. Also slipped on a rock near the shore and heard my ankle creak a little, think I will be feeling it tomorrow in my step. Here's a picture of the cleaned up Indian ( I was frying up some of the other wheaties I found this week and threw this one in without taking an as dug shot):

imageimage

Nothing spectacular about it, but it is the 12th indian head penny I have dug and its the 12th different year one I have dug! No repeats, now have a run of 1900, 1902, 1903, 1904, 1905 & 1906, now if I can find a 1901 next time. Think I will wait a week or so and let the air temperatures cool down and the wind to pick before I go back to the site- the mosquitos are thick and seem to have no fear of the bug spray- used a whole can up in three days and still got eaten alive. With the cooler weather I should be able to get closer to the woods and also the work the shoreling better, we shall see if there is anything else good left to dig up there....HH >>

Boy, you are sure lucky to be in an area that has some age. Las Vegas, where I live, wasn't even founded until 1905! Not much old stuff here.
    bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice.... did you use DEET?... never heard of mosquitos ignoring that stuff... Cheers, RickO
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're way ahead of me after 8 months of my Fisher CZ-3D in Sunnyvale, CA!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's cool that you have found twelve Indians with no repeats in the dates. Very cool.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • That's pretty good...different dates...I seem to have found a bunch of the 1900's and 1907's....
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My very first was an 1875. I wish I had continued that particular trend. But oh well, I like finding IHC in any condition. Have some nasty and some really nice. Probably my best date is an 1868, which isn't in that bad a shape, either.

I still have yet to find a copper-nickel IHC, though a newbie friend with a cheap detector he had borrowed from me found an 1863 in one of my favorite parks, a few feet away from where I was standing. It was pretty deep, too.

I suspect my not having found copper-nickel ones or Flying Eagle cents yet might have something to do with my discrimination settings. But then again, maybe not. I usually run very low discrimination. Maybe I have passed over one in an area where I was using higher discrimination, though.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.